Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe FX 3

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited August 2021
    Roland said:
    Thread revival because I’ve got an AxeFX III and FC12 inbound from G66. What’s the advice on upgrading from an AxeFX II and MFC? 

Live I use 5 patches, each with 5 scenes: Clean, Edge, Crunch, Lead, and Acoustic. My first priority would be to create direct replacements for these. I know that I could reduce the number of patches, but that’s not important.

What have you learned on your Fractal journey? What would you do differently if you were starting again?
    This is pretty much how I would do it.

Use scenes to give you the sounds for most situations.
    The main thing is to develop a methodology that you carry through to all your patches.

The FC12 is massive.
    I would suggest the FC6 for most people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    Given your experience with the AxeFx2 I would think the transition would be pretty straightforward, but my advice would be to focus on nailing 1 preset and then use that as the basis for the other 4. 

In terms of the FC12 I don't think it's that massive - I've not measured, but it looks to me like it's the same size as my bandmate's Helix, the only difference is my expression pedals are separate units. I started with the FC6 but sold it (to @TeleMaster) as I wanted to make use of having everything at my feet with minimum presses of footswitches. Layouts on the FC are a hugely powerful tool and fully customisable, I would recommend familiarising yourself with those as they open up a limitless number of options.

I have a kitchen sink preset with scenes for clean, edge, crunch, boosted crunch, and lead tones, but also have switches for drive, amp boost, +/- 2db and usually a few effects. I then have a footswitch that takes me to the effects layout where I have access to all effects in the preset. The 3 is so powerful that you can comfortably have a preset with drive, pitch, phaser, flanger, chorus, rotary, a couple of delays, plex verb, couple of reverbs and anything else you can think of. It's rare that I do, but it's nice to know that a phaser pedal is only a tap away should I feel the urge to get my EVH on. That preset is my go to and the basis for most new ones. I have variations of it for certain songs where I want some scenes different volumes, levels of gain etc but I can get through the lion's share of our set with that main preset. 

As @octatonic said a consistent methodology really helps. I also find that making a just few tweaks at a time and trying those at a rehearsal or two is more helpful than changing a tonne of stuff at once.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    edited August 2021
    DavusPG said:

As @octatonic said a consistent methodology really helps. I also find that making a just few tweaks at a time and trying those at a rehearsal or two is more helpful than changing a tonne of stuff at once.  
    I agree. Consistency is key, and it’s important to check changes at volume. My three main patches all use the same layout. Only the amp types change. The other two patches are copies with effect changes which I just can’t fit into the main three patches. Hitting CPU limits is the main reason for upgrading. I’m expecting to build one patch, using a similar layout to what I already have, and then produce copies with different amp types.
    octatonic said:

The FC12 is massive.
    I would suggest the FC6 for most people.
    That was a conscious choice. I want everything available at the touch of one button. No double or combination tapping whilst playing. No patch hunting if the singer changes the set list on the fly. Twelve buttons gives me five patches, five scenes, tuner/mute, and tap tempo. I suspect that I’ll end up changing this, but that’s what I’ll start with.

One of the reasons I want it simple is that I also control our lights. To avoid tap dancing I’ve programmed my MFC to send midi messages. I’m hoping the use Midi blocks to do this in future, once I’ve sorted out how to send midi tempo messages.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    DavusPG said:

My three main patches all use the same layout. Only the amp types change. The other two patches are copies with effect changes which I just can’t fit into the main three patches. Hitting CPU limits is the main reason for upgrading. I’m expecting to build one patch, using a similar layout to what I already have, and then produce copies with different amp types.

you can do all that in one patch...  4 channels give you the amp/cab changes and scenes select FX combinations.   Its immensely powerful in this way. 

I used to run 15 patches on the AFX 2... a bank of 5 would run clean through to high gain - and 3 banks offered different flavour.  With the AFX3 and FC12 I can do each bank in a single patch.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Roland said:
    DavusPG said:

My three main patches all use the same layout. Only the amp types change. The other two patches are copies with effect changes which I just can’t fit into the main three patches. Hitting CPU limits is the main reason for upgrading. I’m expecting to build one patch, using a similar layout to what I already have, and then produce copies with different amp types.

you can do all that in one patch...  4 channels give you the amp/cab changes and scenes select FX combinations.   Its immensely powerful in this way. 

I used to run 15 patches on the AFX 2... a bank of 5 would run clean through to high gain - and 3 banks offered different flavour.  With the AFX3 and FC12 I can do each bank in a single patch.

Just remember there's a VERY slight delay when changing channels in the amp block.
  • not enough for me to notice.   I am changing amp, cab and drive block channels all from a single button - and its fine.   
    not enough for me to notice.   I am changing amp, cab and drive block channels all from a single button - and its fine.   
    Yeah, it's very very small - especially compared to other modellers - but just wanted to point out it's there.
    The delay does irritate me because I sometimes have to switch very quickly from rhythm to lead. I have several solutions to this delay:
    1. Use two amp blocks, one rhythm and one lead. I used to do this on the II, but had to discontinue when I ran out of CPU cycles.
    2. Use scene controllers to change amp settings. This is OK when the amp type stays the same.
    3. Put up with it. On some songs there is a gap of one or two beats between the rhythm and lead parts. 

At the end of a solo I’m looking forward to having the capacity to run two delays, one on the rhythm and t’other on lead, and let the lead delay continue ringing out when I switch back to rhythm. Currently I tend to hang onto the final note of a solo, and am late back into the rhythm part. Having a dedicated lead delay will allow me to move my hand a bit earlier and still have the lead sound still ringing as I restart playing rhythm.
    Just watching Marco Fanton, I’m wondering about toggling some of the scene buttons so that I can go in and out of a solo using the same button, or maybe get a little more volume for those times where the band has got too loud.
  • I'm gonna crack on with my Quad Cortex for now. But I suspect by the end of the year, I will order an Axe3 and a FC6, possibly 12.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6810
    Have a look at the Multiplexer block to switch instantly between two amp/cab input feeds. Also scene toggle is a good way to add a boost as you can simply add 3db to the scene output in OUT1 block - hence very low CPU.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Does the Axe3 have a momentary EHX Freeze type of effect????

I also have a part where I go from a lead line into a rhythm, and ideally I'd like to freeze the last note of the lead whilst playing the next riff, and then fade it away.

Bye!

Roland said:
    Just watching Marco Fanton, I’m wondering about toggling some of the scene buttons so that I can go in and out of a solo using the same button, or maybe get a little more volume for those times where the band has got too loud.
    Yeah, that's what I do now. I have one 'main' patch with 4 amps - 2 plexi types, a CCV and the AFD100 - and the second press on the switch changes scene to the same amp but with input boost enabled (plus delays etc.).
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 842
    edited August 2021
    the delay between channels is a lot less than it was is n the AFX2 mind.  the more you change on 1 button the longer the delay is.   dont rule anything out until you start playing with options.  there are lots of ways to do the same thing - each with positives and negatives.
    ... dont rule anything out until you start playing with options.  there are lots of ways to do the same thing - each with positives and negatives.
    yeah, I'm expecting a voyage of discovery, which is why I'm interested in what other people have already learned

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10209
    edited August 2021
    I do notice the delay. I just time my changes and it’s okay but I do wish it was as smooth as other devices. 
    Does the Axe3 have a momentary EHX Freeze type of effect?
    I’m sure that’s possible. I was thinking of letting a 500 msec delay spill over. I’m sure that you could build a freeze using an infinitely repeating delay or looper. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6810
    edited August 2021
    Roland said:
    Does the Axe3 have a momentary EHX Freeze type of effect?
    I’m sure that’s possible. I was thinking of letting a 500 msec delay spill over. I’m sure that you could build a freeze using an infinitely repeating delay or looper. 
    Theres a footswitchable Stack or Hold function in the reverb, delays, and plexdelay

Plex Delay block - Fractal Audio Wiki

Stack/Hold

Available in firmware Ares 12 and later.

When HOLD is activated, the wet input to the block is muted and feedback is set to infinity. This can be used to achieve pad sounds and drone notes/chords.

When set to STACK incoming audio is stacked on existing audio and held.

Hold/Stack can be controlled with an external controller. When attaching a pedal to Off/Stack/Hold, Heel is Off, Stack is middle and Toe is Hold.

Delay & Reverb Stack or Hold - Axe-Fx III & FM3 - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4EtcSlvHv8

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10209
    edited August 2021
    I’m pretty sure @JohnCordy sent me a freeze patch to try out before. 
    Well, the new box is here. First impression, after 5 minutes playing, is that it sounds a lot clearer than the II. That’s been the case with every advance in modelling since I started using an Ultra in 2009. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom