Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe FX 3

What's Hot

Comments

• It sounds like a typical ‘Axe FX’ tone to me. You can make them very tight and hard edged sounding if you want to, or get a thicker fatter vibe if you prefer... actually before I got my Axe FX 2 I thought it only really did that super tight modern kind of sound but that’s just how people were dialling it in. 

There are 250+ models so it’s a bit hard to judge from a single clip too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    If I went by clips I'd never have bought an axe fx ii. The majority are tones that make my teeth itch. The tone in that last video is particularly horrible, but I'm sure it's been posted on the Fractal forum and everyone will be going mad over it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10210
    This thread should be revived. I've got one @FarleyUK has one, all you guys have one, Cyngus is out. How you guys finding it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Really liking mine. Took a while to get a live sound I’m happy with, but I’m about 80% there now. 

The power of this thing is amazing. Kind of overwhelming, but everything sounds great. The FC12 is amazing as well - so much functionality!
    @FarleyUK Do you find the front panel soft buttons to be a bit sticky at all?

I've been messing around with the global amp stuff. It's so powerful. I've got 30 song presets with the same amp block that can be tweaked in one go. So cool. 
    @FarleyUK Do you find the front panel soft buttons to be a bit sticky at all?

I've been messing around with the global amp stuff. It's so powerful. I've got 30 song presets with the same amp block that can be tweaked in one go. So cool. 
    Seems to be ok for me, although I mostly use Axe Edit. 

Also, tried using Fracpad - what a load of rubbish. Very buggy, slow and very expensive. Wouldn’t bother wasting your time with it if you were thinking about getting it. 

Agree about the global blocks - very useful! I’ve got the input gate, lead delay (multiplex) and PEQ on global blocks. Only created a couple of presets so far, but it’s very handy. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    It is still my main guitar processor/modeller.
    Haven't come close to exhausting the power of the AFX3, where the 2 was exhausted quite quickly.

I have only 4 presets- scenes work so well that I don't really need more than that.
    I've got Fracpad. I used it with my FM3 and I've found its okay. For quick, remote adjustments it's really useful if you have an ipad on a stand. I use it eith this Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI thing. 
    I've got Fracpad. I used it with my FM3 and I've found its okay. For quick, remote adjustments it's really useful if you have an ipad on a stand. I use it eith this Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI thing. 
    I find it a buggy mess. Only opens half the time, seems the names of the presets don’t match up, and various other issues. 
    FarleyUK said:
    I find it a buggy mess. Only opens half the time, seems the names of the presets don’t match up, and various other issues. 
    Hmm I've not had that experience. I think it's not the easiest to navigate but now I'm used to it I just connect to the ipad and set it aside. If I want to change anything I can do it via that. None of those issues with me mate. 
    Had the first band rehearsal using in ears and the AFX3 last night - sounded great, and pretty easy to use. I was just using the FC12 layout from the AustinBuddy packs, but I think I'll tweak them; not keen on having to tap dance between layouts to change scenes and FX.

However, FracPad.... yet again, would not load for me. Constant crashes when I try to connect. The creator of it is proving pretty 'sassy' in his responses to my requests for help as well. The good news is that I had to quickly learn how to use the front panel controls, which is fairly straightforward once you're used to where everything is.
    edited June 2021
    I'm using mine with the effects on the top row, and bottom row with scenes. How have you got yours setup?

How are you connecting Fracpad?

I can now use the front panel but it's definitely fiddly. If you want to start adding scene controllers to things or add an expression pedal to a parameter it becomes a deep dive maze. 
    I'm using mine with the effects on the top row, and bottom row with scenes. How have you got yours setup?

How are you connecting Fracpad?

I can now use the front panel but it's definitely fiddly. If you want to start adding scene controllers to things or add an expression pedal to a parameter it becomes a deep dive maze. 
    That's true, but it's nowhere near as bad as the old AX8 days!

The default layouts I've got are Presets on 1, scenes on 2, FX1 on 3, FX 2 on 4, amp controllers on 5 etc. I'll be adjusting it to the same as you though - just makes more sense. So much functionality on the FC12 though, it's amazing.

I've tried using both a USB cable and the BT-MD01 Yamaha dongle. It worked for a week, and now is back to crapping out for no reason.
    I've been thinking of getting a 'backup' rig, just in case - and I think it makes most sense to get an FM3. Just means I can have the exact same patches on both units, and don't have to 're-learn' anything. Plus, it's portability means I can just carry it around with me and take it to the spare room to jam and practice with, instead of disconnecting everything in the rack case with the AFX3, haul it into the house etc.

Now I just need to wait for G66 to get stock....!

Or get one used? G66 will honour the warranty. 

Just be aware that there's no dual amps, the signal path is shorter and you can't drop the presets into the FM3 from the Axe. 
    Or get one used? G66 will honour the warranty. 

Just be aware that there's no dual amps, the signal path is shorter and you can't drop the presets into the FM3 from the Axe. 
    Yep, just about to ask in the classifieds :)

And not a problem - I never use dual amps or a complex chain. Good to know though.
    And no global blocks. Eek!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    Thread revival because I’ve got an AxeFX III and FC12 inbound from G66. What’s the advice on upgrading from an AxeFX II and MFC? 

Live I use 5 patches, each with 5 scenes: Clean, Edge, Crunch, Lead, and Acoustic. My first priority would be to create direct replacements for these. I know that I could reduce the number of patches, but that’s not important.

What have you learned on your Fractal journey? What would you do differently if you were starting again?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’d have got the 3 straight away and not the FM3. But the FM3 is still amazing. 

Not that relevant to you probably :lol: 
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 842
    edited August 2021
    Roland said:
    Thread revival because I’ve got an AxeFX III and FC12 inbound from G66. What’s the advice on upgrading from an AxeFX II and MFC? 

Live I use 5 patches, each with 5 scenes: Clean, Edge, Crunch, Lead, and Acoustic. My first priority would be to create direct replacements for these. I know that I could reduce the number of patches, but that’s not important.

What have you learned on your Fractal journey? What would you do differently if you were starting again?
    well chat SUNDAY   

However, id suggest 1 pre-set with clean, edge, crunch and lead (as you have 4 channels of pretty much everything) , then have different presets for different flavours of that range - rather than 5 scenes of clean on one preset and 5 of crunch on another (for instance).  Does depend how you want your FX to switch as to if you use scenes or channels to achieve that.

Acoustic will need its own pre-set of course.