Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe FX 3

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    FarleyUK said:
    Clarky said:
    Roland said:
    Clarky said:

I'll make a guess that I very much doubt I could hear the difference between the II and III
    for exactly the same reasons that I was never great at spotting the difference between the II and the real amps..
    Cliff said [https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/xl-becoming-obsolete.134736/ post 14]

“It actually does sound a little better. The extra DSP horsepower means that we didn't have to make compromises in some of the algorithms. The amp modeling algorithm is very similar but there's a few places on the II where we had to make compromises to get the algorithm to run within the allotted time.

Also the III has a higher internal oversampling rate and a higher bit depth on some calculations (64-bit vs. 40-bit).”
    I'm not saying there won't be a difference at all...
    I'm saying that I doubt that I will be able to hear it [cos my hearing is not great] and that I doubt that the difference [for those that can hear it] will be due to the bit depth
    Looking forward to all the cork-sniffers with the inevitable "OMG sounds sooooooo much better than my FXII Ultra!".

Self-confirmation bias is awesome ;)
    this is inevitable...
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just got an AX8 which is more than satisfying my needs for the time being. If in a few years they bring out an AX8+ with seamless patch changes or some of the new 'channels' functionality from the Axe III, that'd be perfect. The AX8 having amp knobs on the front and the fact that it's entirely in a pedalboard are more important to me than extra processing power—most of my patches are just an overdrive, an amp, and a cab. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • Plan for front screen performance mode using ABCDE knobs under screen:

”That is the plan but we haven't implemented it yet. The hooks are all there in the firmware. The idea is a "Performance" page where you select up to 10 global parameters that you can adjust at any time.”

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/things-about-the-iii-you-may-have-missed.134852/#post-1594529

Also envelope followers on input of ambient blocks:

Another cool thing is some of the "ambient" blocks have built-in envelope followers on the input for swelling in the effect without having to use a controller.”

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/so-whats-new-on-the-iii-axe-fx-2-vs-3.134729/page-13#post-1594532

• Also envelope followers on input of ambient blocks:

“Another cool thing is some of the "ambient" blocks have built-in envelope followers on the input for swelling in the effect without having to use a controller.”

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/so-whats-new-on-the-iii-axe-fx-2-vs-3.134729/page-13#post-1594532

I still don't get envelope stuff, how does it work?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922

Like @Clarky and many others, if I buy this, it won't be for tone purposes...the Axe FX II does everything I need tone-wise, it's the extra horsepower and increased capabilities that attracts me to this.
    in my opinion, the Axe-FX, all versions have a few killer features that differentiate them from the competition..
    and tone isn't one of them - even though the tone is superb..

- the grid: this feature blows away all opposition as they use one or two fx chains.. the Helix is more powerful than most because it has a pair of chains and each chain has a loop.. as good as the Helix is in this area, it still does not come close to the flexibility in the Axe's 4x12 grid..
    the Axe-III has a 6x14 grid.. the addition of 2 rows and 2 columns is a pretty powerful improvement that really caught my eye..

- modifiers: all fx units out there can control fx parameters via controllers.. most common is to be able to set min / max values [2120 / Helix etc].. as useful as that is, it does have limitations.. the VG-99 has min / mid / max and range [to set where on the throw of the expression pedal the min / max values take effect].. this I found to be a massive improvement over the standard min / max... the Axe assigns fx parameters to modifiers which in turn can be assigned to controllers .. the are lots of types of controllers [LFO, step sequencer, external <an expression pedal or switch>].. modifiers allow you to have a huge amount of control over the min / mid / max and range values and also create curves so that you can determine the rate of change.. this is massive if you're into real-time control [which I am]..
    I don't know if the Axe-III will be adding new capabilities in this area.. 
    what the Axe-III does give you though is the ability to store more data in the presets.. if you have a complex preset with a huge amount of control functionality going on, you can reach the limits of what can be stored.. so you may not be exceeding CPU limits and not have used up all available modifier slots, but you've simply cannot fit anything else into the preset..
    I've reached this limit a handful of times... but the solution is simple.. copy the preset and spread the functionality you need across both of them.. but with 384 preset slots available I've never found that this limitation holds me back in any way at all..
    with the Axe-III you'll be able to do more in a preset before hitting this limit..
    also bear in mind that my presets are insanely huge and complex by most standards and I've only encountered this limit 3 times in the years that I've had the unit...
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited January 2018
    So they’re filters that respond to a signal the following way

So so in the case of envelope followers on the input on the Axe 3 to swell the reverb it likely has a longer attack time built in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So they’re filters that respond to a signal the following way

So so in the case of envelope followers on the input on the Axe 3 to swell the reverb it likely has a longer attack time built in.
    the Axe-2 has a pair of ADSR modifiers.. have I missed something here?
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited January 2018
    It does - it sounds like some of the new algos will have one already assigned to an effect (e.g. reverbs that already swell), and at a guess with simplified parameters just for attack rather than having to set up an ADSR filter manually.
  • Great, thank you @guitarfishbay ;

edited January 2018
    It does - it sounds like some of the new algos will have one already assigned to an effect (e.g. reverbs that already swell), and at a guess with simplified parameters just for attack rather than having to set up an ADSR filter manually.
    ahhh... so this is built into the reverb block..
    that's interesting.. it'll allow you to shape the reverb tail without having to place the reverb in parallel and assign an ADSR modifier to the input level of the block

EDIT: to be honest I've never done this or messed with it..
    but thinking on it you could do some interesting stuff..
    set the attack time so the reverb will fade in when you play longer notes, not strongly effect the pick attack and keep the tone a little cleaner when playing faster licks..
    a moderately long attack would smooth out the 'bump' you can get from larger pre-delay settings
  • Well, not for me yet and Ive used an AFX since a standard in 2007.

Money is not as flush as it once way, and Ive just spent £2k on a keyboard.

Ultimately re the AXE 2, The modelling is going to be the same (at least initially) so the actual sounds wont be any different.  Theres lots more power for bigger patches, and more options with the channels (I like that) and routing - but unless you need better real time control (I dont as I have a Rac12) or run out of processing power building patches I cant justify changing.

That may well change.  Im still running an AFX 2 mk 1, and switched to that from my standard when it was on FW 5 I think (might have been 4).  Ill start saving,  if its a couple of years till I get one then thats juts fine.

I DONT like that the MFC isnt fully compatable - that is you cant run it in AFX mode, so its just a midi controller.  I like lots of physical buttons and dont like having to switch seams to get to the ones I use.;  An 18 button controller would have been a great option for me.   So, if yuou want the full flexibility of the AFX 3 plaus controller you have to get both - serious money.

G66 are hoping to sell the AFX3 for 2499 Euro, so around £2300, but the controller will be something like £500 and 800 for the 6/12 respective.  Thats a £3k outlay....and I dont gig any more (as I swim coach - but that might change down the line).

So - as I said,  Ill live in the dark ages with my Mk 1 AFX2 for a2-3 years yet and fight the monster in me that says I have to have the best available - despite my less than best talent and useage.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah honestly the way I use the 2 I don’t run out of power, and I ike the sounds.

IIRC some established bands continued to run ultras even when the 2 had been out for a while - I seem to remember a rig rundown from Coheed and Cambria to that effect.
    been thinking on this..
    in addition to the 'more of everything' in the Axe-III, channel switching is the killer new feature..
    that is the feature that would be the revolutionary additional piece in my preset building

I'm thinking that my live requirements may well sit within just 1 or 2 presets

this is the thing that will make me buy the Axe-III when some spare dosh becomes available
  • So tempting isn't it! I'm like a kid at Christmas, I'll be honest. The GAS is real.

So tempting isn't it! I'm like a kid at Christmas, I'll be honest. The GAS is real.
    it is for me too...
    however... right now I have other priorities..
    none if which are music related..

booooooo ! ! ! !
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    edited February 2018
    Reading through the comments in the new AxeIII thread at Fractal it certainly sounds like they've addressed a lot of the things users were asking for.

Channels and the sheer amount you can pack into presets are the biggest draw. No more compromises or work around with presets - not that I particularly mind that. 

I also am very tempted indeed..... and couldnt see myself wanting or needing to upgrade again for years.

That's my justification anyway. I just hope we don't get too hammered with the EU pricing.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    DavusPG said:
    Reading through the comments in the new AxeIII thread at Fractal it certainly sounds like they've addressed a lot of the things users were asking for.

Channels and the sheer amount you can pack into presets are the biggest draw. No more compromises or work around with presets - not that I particularly mind that. 

I also am very tempted indeed..... and couldnt see myself wanting or needing to upgrade again for years.

That's my justification anyway. I just hope we don't get too hammered with the EU pricing.
    Completely the same for me, I'm coming from a different place (AX8), but pricing up what I'd pay for, along the lines of:

1. £100 not to need an external headphone amp
    2. £150-200 USB audio interface
    3. £250 faster switching 
    4. £250 using two amps at once
    5. £200 more DSP

etc.

It's almost a bargain! :)

Plus although there might be some niggles on early adoption - it means the product has the maximum shelf-life. 

Practically, I love the AX8 more than any other unit I've had, and could make what passes for music with it for the rest of my life - but if the total package including FC12 isn't punitive, I'm in
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    @Peteri ;

I'm also an AX8 user, so we are coming from the same place....I'd like to think it's going to satisfy my amp & effects wants and then some - and to be fair the AX8 has already pretty much, it's just those extra features that will eliminate the need to get creative with attaching parameters to scene controllers and be more selective with reverb choices etc that will be so good

I also agree that being able to just plug in the front with headphones is a real bonus. I bought a Focsurite purely for that reason with the AX8

It's a bit frustrating that the foot controllers are likely to be several months behind as I'll need to keep my AX8 as a controller until the FC12 becomes available, hopefully I'll be able to get a decent price for the AX8 when it's time to sell. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    See, I'm also an AX8 user, and I'm now thinking that the AXIII and the FC12 would solve a lot of my concerns about a drunk punter spilling his drink / standing on my precious modeller.....