What's Hot

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader

I hear that Chapman guitars are now taking legal action against this  :D
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    Fifty9 said:
    I see it as just an alternative strategy from PRS thats complementary to their innovative work. Nothing more than a strategy to tap into those guitarists who haven't plumped for a PRS because they are 'stuck' on the Les Paul & now Strat. With the shootout guitars, the new 'vintage' pups like the 57/08 etc and the 594 PRS are gunning to out-do Gibson on the vintage sounds of a Les Paul with modern playability, highest quality components & finish. As close as legally possible. Compare the Singlecut 594 with a custom shop LP. This is surely a strategy to encourage more of us to 'crossover' and it seems to be working.

The Silver Sky is imho just doing exactly the same with the Strat and fully expect this to be the first of many PRS strats.

I was never a PRS fan and have read so many people saying 'wanted to love it, loved the quality but just didn't bond as I always went back to the Les Paul'. This mindset is the target market PRS are moving into with the 'so close to what you know and love but better' designs. I must admit that for me its starting to work and I struggle to want anything beyond the LP, Strat, Tele & 335... Now however I find myself really wanting a 594 and now one of these.
    Good point.

I'm still not remotely interested in the Silver Sky, but if they ever bring out a 594 with a plain top and an aged nitro finish I'll be all over it.  For now, it's just too pretty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    markblack said:
    more fuel for the fire :)

If you need to go gray instantly to play one it'll be a hit around these parts. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3323
    I know this is a forum and it exists for people to express their opinions on stuff but Jesus some of you lot don’t harp on. It’s just a guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I have read all 7 pages of posts and frankly this late to the party not sure there is much more to say.

Even as a PRS fan, I have to say the first images of the silver one were just a bit yuk dont like it as I am never struck on silver guitars. 

~then watched the Bryne video with the candy apple red one or whatever they call it and thought yeah. The longer I see it the more it sort of grows on me .  Will I rush out and buy one doubtful as sort of off the Strat thing the arthritis is bad and loving my shorter scale Greco and Valley  Arts Tele at the moment. 

As for all the business aspect and dissing PRS, they has done a shit load more for JM than Fender did and I think having a bit of a guitar Diva in Mayer is good for PRS takes them out of their normal thing and he demands a lot from them and they keep on doing it till he is happy.  So far other than the halo of having JM as a player I doubt the sales of the Super Eagle and Amp have added much after all the time was factored. If this shifts a few units then it will have been worthwhile. I am sure there will be a trickle-down aspect and similar S style guitars will filter into the range. Not sure Mayer has the philanthropic gene of say Santana wanting a signature guitar in the SE range that kids can afford but who knows. 

All I want from PRS at the moment is the 594 Junior perhaps S2 now that I would jump for in a moment.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    As a PRS owner, I cannot help wondering:
    1) Whether the company has stipulated a pre-ordering "window" on this model?
    2) If so, does it close at 11:59:59 EST on April 1st, 2018?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1466
    edited March 2018
    Just in case this thread starts to die down can I just point out the truss rod cover looks shit?

:3 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    If I could afford it, i'd buy it.

Looks aside, PRS guitars play so well.  It will be great to play for sure
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    edited March 2018
    Shame about the bridge - PRS are known for their 'stock' tremolo
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Just as a minor point it’s worth noting that (love it or hate it) the SS is a decent amount cheaper than I recall the JM CS Strats being (around £3K IIRC). On that basis if its built to a similar standard (and PRS don’t usually mess about on that score) it’s a bit of a bargain...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    i want one, i'll just wait for a secondhand one for a grand... as i do :neutral: 
  • I do like the guitar a lot - but the price is off putting - no doubt an s2 version will follow
    I wonder if they might do an SE version down the line too, like they did with the Santana and Tremonti Sig models. That might be more tempting...
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    I do like the guitar a lot - but the price is off putting - no doubt an s2 version will follow
    Doubtful, because for all intents and purposes this *is* already technically an "S2". The "bolt-on" series, which currently includes this and the CE24 in a couple flavours, are made on the S2 production line. It's not a Core model per se.

An SE - as above, is very likely IMO. Keep your eye on one of the NAMM shows in 2019.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    Whitecat said:
    I do like the guitar a lot - but the price is off putting - no doubt an s2 version will follow
    Doubtful, because for all intents and purposes this *is* already technically an "S2". The "bolt-on" series, which currently includes this and the CE24 in a couple flavours, are made on the S2 production line. It's not a Core model per se.

An SE - as above, is very likely IMO. Keep your eye on one of the NAMM shows in 2019.

As I understand it it's more of an S2.5, where it's made on that production line, but uses US-made hardware and electronics too. The "normal" S2's use MIK parts, assembled in the US with Maryland-made timber & finishing. An SE model would be a nice addition however, and I could see that happening at some point with some cosmetic tweaks (i.e. bridge, tuners, knobs).
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I think it's cool. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2383
    Wonder how long before they launch the RELIC version? ;)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
    i want one, i'll just wait for a secondhand one for a grand... as i do :neutral: 
    If you (or anyone else) buys one - post a NGD thread at your peril.... Based on this thread you’ll have eight pages of negative comments....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    Strat54 said:
    I that happens I'll see PRS in a whole new light.  It'll need nitro finishes, though.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2383
    Philly_Q said:
    Strat54 said:
    I that happens I'll see PRS in a whole new light.  It'll need nitro finishes, though.
    They produced a run of aged DGT's for Peach a while back....

https://reverb.com/item/10583216-prs-dgt-relic
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Strat54 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Strat54 said:
    They produced a run of aged DGT's for Peach a while back....

https://reverb.com/item/10583216-prs-dgt-relic
    There was also the RH2010...

https://reverb.com/uk/item/1484567-paul-reed-smith-rh2010-factory-aged-finish-with-green-metal-stripes