Seen the new PRS ad?

What's Hot

Comments

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Strat54 said:
    clarkefan said:
    Strat54 said:
    One of the reasons he 'fell out of love' with Fender was because the neck on his John Cruz built black relic Strat warped after a few years, so he sent it back for them to clone the neck.....but they failed miserably. The neck he said was nothing like the old one and he didn't like it, so much so that he refitted the warped one and dealt with its issues. He was pretty damning and public about his unhappiness with them at that time.
    Ridiculous nonsense, I hope this isn't true.  His music does nothing for me but I had respect for him.
    Wouldn't you be a bit pissed if this happened to you? Back then he played that guitar 99% of the time and yes its true.
    What, gigging a guitar all round the world for years, the neck warped and Fender couldn't nail the exact feel with a replacement, seriously?  

It's childish.  The guy is good enough to be able to adapt to different shape necks.  I can't play for shit and even I can adapt, it's garbage.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    clarkefan said:
    What, gigging a guitar all round the world for years, the neck warped and Fender couldn't nail the exact feel with a replacement, seriously?  

It's childish.  The guy is good enough to be able to adapt to different shape necks.  I can't play for shit and even I can adapt, it's garbage.
    There's a video interview with him  on Youtube where he states that he's not the kind of guitarist who can just pick up any guitar and get it. He says he's not the adaptable sort. You wouldn't admit to that it if it wasn't true.

Think its in this one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g7J9q8ePkg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    There's a video at one of his gigs where a fan hands him a guitar to sign and he straps it on despite it looking like a very cheapo guitar, not caring if it's in tune (it's not) and just continues playing on that guitar as if it was his own.

Cool video - shows he has the ability to play on anything but when someone's that rich and high profile a guitarist, they can afford to be very picky about having the exact feel they want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27250
    edited March 2018
    thegummy said:
    There's a video at one of his gigs where a fan hands him a guitar to sign and he straps it on despite it looking like a very cheapo guitar, not caring if it's in tune (it's not) and just continues playing on that guitar as if it was his own.

Cool video - shows he has the ability to play on anything but when someone's that rich and high profile a guitarist, they can afford to be very picky about having the exact feel they want.
    Great vid, that one. (Though i can't find it now as work blocks most of the social things).

From everything I've seen of him he's a really major geek about both guitars and watches, and makes a pretty personal connection with these sorts of things. 

That doesn't mean he couldn't get the job done with a Squier or whatever, but when you're worth USD ~50m you can afford to get the best, and to be a bit annoyed if what you used to consider the best ceases to be so. Anyone who thinks he's been vocal about the Fender stuff should read his open letter to IWC... www.hodinkee.com/articles/an-open-letter-to-iwc-from-john-mayer

I'm not a big fan of his latest album or the Dead & Co stuff but I'd very much like to spend an hour with him over a beer.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    $2299 MAP in the US
    £2475 MAP here.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ok, for clarity, the £2475 is for the "launch edition" which includes the hardshell case. It's £2299 otherwise. But my video comment still stands. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2018
    What a shame, it's a missed opportunity to me. I'm a massive fan of PRS and his company. Personally I'd have suggested to JM that they do an additional model with a 10" radius and bigger frets.

The Silver Streak branding is terrible. Just call it a Mayer, which sounds less naff. Also I don't get why a guitar that's less labour intensive to build than a CE costs more?

But this is my thing, I don't think there's much point PRS chasing the F style market while Anderson/Suhr/Schecter do it so well. It's like joining the queue in a gangbang that's nearly over.

I were PRS I'd be introducing the SE One LP Jr as an American made S2 guitar. I'd also be taking the shallower carve of the new CE24 and making an S2 Singlecut with a shallow top, ready for Gibsons bankruptcy. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    It's become clear I follow too many gear sites/groups and shops on facebook....nothing but this bloody thing all afternoon!
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    edited March 2018
    http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/news/prs-john-mayer-silver-sky/

Only 125 coming to the EU as a first edition. No sunburst. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Whitecat said:
    Ok, for clarity, the £2475 is for the "launch edition" which includes the hardshell case. It's £2299 otherwise. But my video comment still stands. :)
    What, you don't get a case with a guitar costing 2.3k?

Or, you do but not the one with go - faster stripes, which cost 176 quid more?

Losing respect for Mr Smith.
    jeztone2 said:

But this is my thing, I don't think there's much point PRS chasing the F style market while Anderson/Suhr/Schecter do it so well. It's like joining the queue in a gangbang that's nearly over.

A+ turn of phrase. Love it. Stealing it for use in private conversation about this thing. :)

clarkefan said:
    Whitecat said:
    What, you don't get a case with a guitar costing 2.3k?

Or, you do but not the one with go - faster stripes, which cost 176 quid more?

Losing respect for Mr Smith.
    Nope. Gigbag normally, as it falls into the "bolt-on" category of PRS guitar - so made on the S2 production line.

For that tiny bit extra, the first 500 are coming with a hardshell case and a "launch edition" neckplate.

The JM fanbois will scoop that one up no doubt... and then it remains to be seen if there is enough of an actual market for the rest. Perhaps there are more blues-douches out there than I thought.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27250
    It’s rather pointless, but it’s just another really nice “Strat” that people are getting twisted knickers over.

I bet it’s a great guitar...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4896
    edited March 2018
    In fairness a gigbag (if its along the lines of the Suhr or Mono ones), is preferable to some folk. I like em for Strats anyway, don't like them so much for my LP like!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Eagle eyes will notice the flipped headstock on the PRS Silver Sky. Due to Mayer’s style of playing, he needed extra clearance on the underside of the guitar past the nut. So the team at PRS flipped the trademark headstock shape to allow for extra clearance and achieve an exclusive look for this signature model. The added benefit to this design is that it maintains a good length of string behind the nut which aids in helping the guitar stay in tune – ideal for gigging musicians!

This is what it said on the email i had from PMT 

Don't know what extra clearance past the nut means. 
  • I love strats and think prs make the most playable guitars out there. However the price is laughable for a solid colour bolt on. I paid less for a brand new custom 24 last year. That's far more labour intensive 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23135
    Whitecat said:
    Perhaps there are more blues-douches out there than I thought.
    :D
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11939
    Two and a half years in the making?  What did they do for 912 days?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23135
    The grey buttons on the tuners look weird.  Sorry, more gripes...