Seen the new PRS ad?

What's Hot
167891012»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22917
    Strat54 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Strat54 said:
    Wonder how long before they launch the RELIC version? ;)
    I that happens I'll see PRS in a whole new light.  It'll need nitro finishes, though.
    They produced a run of aged DGT's for Peach a while back....

https://reverb.com/item/10583216-prs-dgt-relic
    I didn't know about the run they did for Peach, but I remember seeing a heavily aged white DGT on eBay once.  It looked good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    markblack said:
    more fuel for the fire

If you need to go gray instantly to play one it'll be a hit around these parts. 
    He had black hair before he picked that up .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought this was quite interesting... although crudely done, a bit more 'PRSish' with a bevel at the top really makes the whole thing settle IMHO... and doesn't take away too much from the strattyness of it either!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • @Norwegian_Blue ;I think you are right. The upper bevel brings it together.  For a final touch if they could add a bevel to the end of the headstock similar to the lower horn.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought this was quite interesting... although crudely done, a bit more 'PRSish' with a bevel at the top really makes the whole thing settle IMHO... and doesn't take away too much from the strattyness of it either!
    That looks great to me, it evens out the headstock as well for me. I wonder what John/PRS would think if they saw this one.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I expect this would have been tried by them.

I don't like it by the arm rest however. nice on the horn but looks odd as you go past the middle pup
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    I thought this was quite interesting... although crudely done, a bit more 'PRSish' with a bevel at the top really makes the whole thing settle IMHO... and doesn't take away too much from the strattyness of it either!
    That looks great to me, it evens out the headstock as well for me. I wonder what John/PRS would think if they saw this one.

Mooster said:
    I'm a bit disappointed with PRS on this one. Whilst Fender and Gibson have been swimming in nostalgia, I always thought that PRS was making tweaks here and there, constantly changing and refining his guitars so they would not go stale and swim in the past. Things like the 513s, Narrowfields, Custom 24/08, etc. And then they go after a strat replica. I think it's more that JM wanted a strat copy but it's not their finest moment.
    But if you did that, you have to remember the belly cut is on the back, so you haven't got any wood left to take from. Remove the belly cut and it will feel a lot unlike a strat, which surely defeats the point.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Norwegian_BlueNorwegian_Blue Frets: 462
    edited March 2018
    I thought this was quite interesting... although crudely done, a bit more 'PRSish' with a bevel at the top really makes the whole thing settle IMHO... and doesn't take away too much from the strattyness of it either!

Mooster said:
    I'm a bit disappointed with PRS on this one. Whilst Fender and Gibson have been swimming in nostalgia, I always thought that PRS was making tweaks here and there, constantly changing and refining his guitars so they would not go stale and swim in the past. Things like the 513s, Narrowfields, Custom 24/08, etc. And then they go after a strat replica. I think it's more that JM wanted a strat copy but it's not their finest moment.
    But if you did that, you have to remember the belly cut is on the back, so you haven't got any wood left to take from. Remove the belly cut and it will feel a lot unlike a strat, which surely defeats the point.
    Absolutely... it would have to be a whole rethink, but even a slight cut here and a tiny bit less at the back would have achieved this I’d think. Not saying it’s a practical option but has an interesting effect on the aesthetics! If it were given the same highlight as the lower cutaway it’d look more significant than it is too!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    edited March 2018
    I think John 5 might have signed with PRS.

Or maybe Graham Coxon...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    I think John 5 might have signed with PRS.

Or maybe Graham Coxon...

lol 

If someone does this and doesn’t move the volume knob position as part of their redesign I might lose all faith in humanity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    PRS Tele would be good.  They can do me a Crunchman signature model if they want.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2383
    Interesting to read that Mayer went to Suhr first to build his signature Strat but they couldn't work out a deal. John Suhr said himself that there were other companies too approached before PRS.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    Well, I like it. Not in that silver colour, the red is stunning. I know it ain't a proper strat but this is the Mayer Signature Guitar and that just might mean something to some people. And it's not like Fender Artsit models are cheap: the Eric Johnson or Jeff Becks ones are nearly £2k. 

By rights, yes, this is probably a few hundred quid too expensive but it isn't the end of the world. Plus, I think the headstock is great.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It had to happen, just seen the first speculative ebay ad for one of the first 500 for sale at a starting price of £3k. Good luck, I could have physically bought one yesterday for the list price. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    Strat54 said:
    Interesting to read that Mayer went to Suhr first to build his signature Strat but they couldn't work out a deal. John Suhr said himself that there were other companies too approached before PRS.
    Interesting, hadn’t read that yet - mind if I ask where you saw it?
    Strat54 said:
    Interesting, hadn’t read that yet - mind if I ask where you saw it?
    From John Suhr himself on the TGP 'Plus JM went to other companies first including us. He was very clear in what he wanted and it went a lot deeper than just the instrument. I doubt Paul had a whole lot of leeway. In the end though Paul is making an instrument and it is difficult to judge an instrument without playing and hearing it for yourself. This is like people judging the new Tesla before driving it. I’m going to try and practice what I preach and play more. Type less'

@guitars4you have the Silver Sky Proto for sale just in case anyone wants it.....https://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/5479-prs-eg-4-used1991-electric-red/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    Cool stuff, thanks!

I had an EG-ii a few years back - now belonging to Bignorm I think? Nice guitar, but didn’t really do the strat thing at the time. That said, it was the fralin domino SSH model, so it wasn’t really trying to!
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    So I got to have a very brief unplugged strum on one tonight. It's quite nice in the flesh and has a lovely neck.