The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Honestly mate, I could recommend the remote highly enough. 

Expensive sure, but really ‘opens’ up the Kemoer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Honestly mate, I could recommend the remote highly enough. 

Expensive sure, but really ‘opens’ up the Kemoer
    I agree that is looks awesome, but I'm just not sure I want something that (for my needs) OTT

If i had the money, sure i'd give it a go.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Honestly mate, I could recommend the remote highly enough. 

Expensive sure, but really ‘opens’ up the Kemper
    What does it open up? I know the looper can't be accessed via the Kemper unit. Anything else?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FarleyUK said:
    FFS, where is this bloody Reverb update??!?!?

I see they just announced they (Kemper) will be at NAMM 2019.... so I have a feeling that the update will be around then :(

Incidentally, I tried the TopJimi AFD amp profiles - awesome stuff! Still think the Caswell modded JCM800 he has is the best profile I've heard though (especially the v30 one). Turn up the sag and tube bias, and it's killer!
    What profile are you using @FarleyUK I can only find the AFD pack, unless I'm missing something?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655

The VoiceLive is just sitting on top of the Kemper Rack for now but you may just be able to see that the upper tier supports do extend above the Kemper - so the VoiceLive will not slip off the back.  It's just a bit awkward due to the spacing of the mic input and power supply on the back.

The Alto is tilted up in the picture, as if I was using it as a floor monitor.  At the last gig I had the rig behind me, as a backline, as I was using in ear monitors.  I tilted the Alto down slightly.

The downside is that, due to the weight / depth of the Alto, it is fairly easy to tip the whole rig forward.

The Kemper floor controller is expensive - but it is perfect for the job and built like a tank.  I did try using my old Behringer FCB1010 with an Uno4kemper chip before I got it.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    FarleyUK said:

I see they just announced they (Kemper) will be at NAMM 2019.... so I have a feeling that the update will be around then :(

Incidentally, I tried the TopJimi AFD amp profiles - awesome stuff! Still think the Caswell modded JCM800 he has is the best profile I've heard though (especially the v30 one). Turn up the sag and tube bias, and it's killer!
    What profile are you using @FarleyUK I can only find the AFD pack, unless I'm missing something?
    That's the pack - I think it was AFD #34 MAX and AFD HIGH I've been using.
  • FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

Is that your Caswell Modded JCM800? Thanks mate

FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

No mate - they're two separate packs by TopJimi. Both quite different!
  • I've owned several Kempers over the years, and always really dug it. But the effects side of things always made me sell it. A bit too tweaky and didn't sound as good as my stomps. But I might pick another one up next year.

My production partner and I have a Kemper profile pack coming out next year too. Diezel D-Moll, Hagen, VH4. Orange Rockerverb and Thunderverb. EVH5150III 50-watter. Two cabs for each amp, multiple microphones. I think we've got something like 150 profiles. Just trying to figure out the best way to split it all up. But they sound fantastic!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting @WiresDreamDisasters, is the Diezel a profile of your personal Diezel, the one you love? Sorry, I'm not sure which one you use these days. I'd be interested in trying them out, for sure.

Would you ever consider the Kemper an adequate replacement for your amp? If not, could you tell us more. Cheers in advance.

• FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

No mate - they're two separate packs by TopJimi. Both quite different!
    @FarleyUK ;Just tried them both (I think I have before but I try so many, I can't remember!), and yes, I agree that the JCM800 from the Tim Caswell pack is awesome and sounds a lot better than the AFD #34 profile. Better than I remember.

• Interesting @WiresDreamDisasters, is the Diezel a profile of your personal Diezel, the one you love? Sorry, I'm not sure which one you use these days. I'd be interested in trying them out, for sure.

Would you ever consider the Kemper an adequate replacement for your amp? If not, could you tell us more. Cheers in advance.
    Actually my two Diezel's and my bandmates Diezel. I own the D-Moll and the VH4. He owns the Hagen.

It's a very tricky question to answer. I think I could be happy using the Kemper at home for pure amp tones, given I now have a range of profiles that are up to my standards. 

Using one live? I'm not sure. Every time I've tried, I have missed the feel of a valve poweramp. And once you account for having a valve poweramp in the setup, you may as well just use the full amp in question I reckon.

The truth is; I love music tech. I have very few allegiances though and I will use whatever it takes to get the sounds I want, in whatever context. 

Bye!

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited December 2018
    Interesting @WiresDreamDisasters, is the Diezel a profile of your personal Diezel, the one you love? Sorry, I'm not sure which one you use these days. I'd be interested in trying them out, for sure.

Actually my two Diezel's and my bandmates Diezel. I own the D-Moll and the VH4. He owns the Hagen.

It's a very tricky question to answer. I think I could be happy using the Kemper at home for pure amp tones, given I now have a range of profiles that are up to my standards. 

Using one live? I'm not sure. Every time I've tried, I have missed the feel of a valve poweramp. And once you account for having a valve poweramp in the setup, you may as well just use the full amp in question I reckon.

The truth is; I love music tech. I have very few allegiances though and I will use whatever it takes to get the sounds I want, in whatever context. 
    Good answer, thank you! I look forward to trying your profiles, mate.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone here tried the Acle Kahney (TesseracT) Kemper Profile Pack?

I bloody love their new album, 'Sonder' and a lot of the profiles are from tones used on that album. Be interested to hear people's thoughts. Any TesseracT fans here?

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    35% off at ToneJunkie, loved the Hendrix like tones from their new Plexi pack video, grabbed it for $20 after using the code (discount until the 31st) 
    PVO_Dave said:
    35% off at ToneJunkie, loved the Hendrix like tones from their new Plexi pack video, grabbed it for $20 after using the code (discount until the 31st) 
    I'm personally fed up of buying profile packs. I had the same thing with the Helix and the AX8 as well; the packs NEVER sound as good as the demo they use to show them.

I just stick with the ones I've already got (mostly the TopJimi Caswell JCM800 ones). New Year's resolution - no more profile packs!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Here's a quick question for you all - I also posted it on the official forums:

I've recently ditched my backline of 2 DXR10s and am now running the Kemper directly through our PA (via a Mackie DL806 digital mixer / PA).

I have noticed that the sound is quite a lot different to the sound I'm getting via the headphones out on the Kemper, and know that - obviously - the speakers have a different response and curve compared to the headphones.

However - can anyone suggest a way to EQ the PA so that it more closely matches what I hear in the headphones? The desk has an RTA that shows the frequencies etc. being used by the Kemper inputs on the desk, and I can of course apply an EQ to the inputs - but I'm not sure how to go about working out what to boost / cut to match the headphones.

Any advice would be appreciated!

• FarleyUK said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    I'm personally fed up of buying profile packs. I had the same thing with the Helix and the AX8 as well; the packs NEVER sound as good as the demo they use to show them.

I just stick with the ones I've already got (mostly the TopJimi Caswell JCM800 ones). New Year's resolution - no more profile packs!
    People on this forum should use this approach with all gear- analog and digital!
  • FarleyUK said:
    Here's a quick question for you all - I also posted it on the official forums:

I've recently ditched my backline of 2 DXR10s and am now running the Kemper directly through our PA (via a Mackie DL806 digital mixer / PA).

I have noticed that the sound is quite a lot different to the sound I'm getting via the headphones out on the Kemper, and know that - obviously - the speakers have a different response and curve compared to the headphones.

However - can anyone suggest a way to EQ the PA so that it more closely matches what I hear in the headphones? The desk has an RTA that shows the frequencies etc. being used by the Kemper inputs on the desk, and I can of course apply an EQ to the inputs - but I'm not sure how to go about working out what to boost / cut to match the headphones.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Surely you’d want to be doing it the other way, i.e. set the Kemper so it sounds good through your PA? I certainly wouldn’t attempt to dial in any live tones on headphones as it just won’t translate. 

You really need to do this at some volume with some decent monitors. If you can only do it through headphones a general rule of thumb is to dial it a lot duller with more mid range and less bass than you think so it accounts for the Fletcher-Munson curve.