Clare_Bear's smiley happy thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_Fab said:
    Ah-HA!  Vindicated !!

"As I (re)started...."

I knew I wasn't going mental!   But I do appear to be forgetting things!

I couldn't remember REstarting it on "The Fretboard" but clearly I did, however, I never created the original on (however far back it went - my temp forum, Intermusic (probably)).  So I really just migrated the thread here and wasn't the original creator.

Ok, technically, it therefore is and isn't 'my' thread, depending on how you look at it.  Kind of a 'Schrödinger's Thread'.
    Total sophistry - it is a thread on here, and you started it which required me to reassign the owner to stop you getting the notifications, something you called bullshit on.

You may have copied the title and the idea, but you started the thread ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24306
    Not sophistry at all - point out any part of that that is incorrect.  And don't be so grumpy, it's Christmas Day - goodwill to all and all that.  Even Sporky and I are playing nicely. 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    Also Schroedinger’s thread would be one that couldn’t be both started by you and not started by you. That was the point Schroedinger was trying to make - that it was absurd for a cat to be alive and dead at the same time. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24306
    I wasn't sure really.  We never did Schrödinger's cat in school.  It was the only "yeah but no" thing I could think of that wasn't that hideous creation of Little Britain.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 685
    I've found out how to use limiting properly in Reaper, and this makes me so happy.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    Yeah, the original MR "shit that boils" thread was definitely mine. Of course when I started that one I never contemplated that it might become a multi-decade phenomenon stretching over multiple incarnations of the forum itself!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26583
    I just got a new keyboard - Keychron K1 Pro - and it's bloody marvellous. I've been using their K3 for a while, and while I really liked the silentness of it, the layout just didn't work for me. This, on the other hand, is absolutely perfect...I just need to get used to the "thokk" of the keys.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    I was out walking our dog earlier. Lovely crisp morning, cold but sunny and bright. Perfect. Part of the route takes me along the riverside. I suddenly spotted a flash of brilliant jewel-like blue, shooting across the water…a kingfisher! I’d heard there were some around the area but I’ve never seen one before. Absolutely made my day. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    I posted a thread about line cliches and @viz is having awesome theory banter. Delighted my utter incompetence is making someone happy!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3866
    boogieman said:
    I was out walking our dog earlier. Lovely crisp morning, cold but sunny and bright. Perfect. Part of the route takes me along the riverside. I suddenly spotted a flash of brilliant jewel-like blue, shooting across the water…a kingfisher! I’d heard there were some around the area but I’ve never seen one before. Absolutely made my day. 
    I live near the Thames and am lucky enough to see them often. Even had one land on the end of my fishing rod once. It's always a thrill to see them.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 366
    Re: Kingfishers, I grew up alongside Pipp Brook and was a keen angler. I saw them regularly back then.

Many years later after my Dad died and I was making good in his former home I was leaning out of of an upstairs window and something banged into the side of my head. It was indeed a Kingfisher, first one I'd seen in decades. Both of us came away unscathed.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westfordwestford Frets: 580
    My team won £88 at a pub quiz last night  =)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28206
    Our CTIO (notionally my boss but sort of my boss's boss but we don't really work in that hierarchical a way) put a meeting in my calendar to discuss the bonus scheme from last year. I knew we'd only hit 96% of sales target so assumed it was going to be a bit disappointing, but it was him asking if it was OK to move me to the management bonus, which has the same thresholds, but is measured against company profitability instead of sales target, because then I'd get twice as much.

I said that was fine, and thank you.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Me again!

We recently did an installation in a university sports hall - a load of stage lighting and a Nexo sound rig. I was there for opening day. It sounded OK, but an hour with a laptop and it sounded pretty darned good (given that it's a huge reverberant space). Deadmau5's Pets was properly chest-thumping. 

I would be understating to say that I was a bit nervous about the vice chancellor arriving - he has an audio engineering background, and I'd convinced the project team to sink nearly £300k into it.

We hooked up his phone, he put on a couple of tracks (at well over the limiter level), we got complaints from three buildings away (a new personal best), and he was very, very happy.

The sound system is somewhere around 23kW at full chat (the lights draw far, far more). Four 12-inch point source mid-tops, two 15-inch subs (and the Nexo stuff is massively louder and punchier than the specs might suggest), QSC processing. Everyone and their dog's tennis coach is doing a case study, and I think we're about to get an order for the acoustic treatment we recommended, at which point I go back to re-EQ it all.

Also there were students standing open-mouthed when we fired it all up.

Yes, I am being awfully un-humble, but our project manager and installers and programmers did a fantastic job, I just had the initial ideas and the last 2% of tweaking. 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    @sporky that sounds like an excellent day (not) at the office!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    It was, but I was absolutely wrecked by it. So many people! The exhibition matches were very, very noisy.

Really nice to see a finished job though, I'm usually four(teen) projects on by the time they're done. 
    I took Sprocket and Nozzle for their annual service on Monday. The vet likes us; I come prepared with vaccine cards and lists of Things That Might Be Important, and the ladies are very well behaved.

The vet gave us a £57 discount for being good customers. 

Turns out that was about 10% of the bill. Sprocket got blood tests and so many pills that she rattles when she walks. Most of it's on insurance, but that's still a bit chunky. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12363
    edited February 10
    This makes me both happy and sad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce4e2pl2pw9o ;

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18761
    I needed somewhere to share & this thread seemed appropriate  ;)
    Who doesn't love a capybara?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clej4qll03xo
    After my rubbish journey into London last week I now have £16.50 in Delay Repay, £10.40 in parking refund, and £27.20 refund for the bit of train ticket I didn't use. For one online form and two emails.

I may well spend it all on sweets. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom