R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• terada said:
    I know right. You could  just keep on spending at this rate. Even I’m tempted now

I wonder what else is coming down the tracks. 
    Definitely the least pleasing Classic out of the 3 colours. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    For those feeling honest. Please tell me the results of this little test...

Play a C on the D string (10th fret), let it ring out.
    Then play C on the B string (1st fret), let it ring out.
    Then play C on the G string (5th fret), let it ring out.

Can you tell me if the fretted note on the G string dies out a lot quicker than those on the other strings?
    If you go looking for things like this you'll drive yourself nuts over something that will be similar on many guitars all  of which sound great when playing music 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    johnl said:
    Whitecat said:
    Does the product include a manufacturer’s warranty? With a microcosm of exceptions, if so, then it’s new. 

Otherwise it’s second-hand, literally. 
    I'm not sure that applies as warranties can be transferred, sometimes even years later depending on the product. I'd always thought the accepted definition was "once it has been sold once, it is no longer new". It is second hand as you are then (at least) the second person to purchase it. New prices are higher than used prices as an item having never been previously sold is the easiest way to guarantee that it is in the condition that it was intended to be sold. If we start saying that an item is new for as long as it's in that condition it becomes far more complex.

I very much doubt anyone here saying that a guitar being sold for the 2nd or 3rd time is still "new" would be happy paying new prices for a car that had had two previous owners; regardless of warranty status.
    Not very often though. I can only think of two transferable warranties off the top of my head - Kia cars and Applecare (the latter of which is paid for above and beyond the product anyway). 

I’d wager the majority of companies restrict warranty to first owners - and this will be especially true in the musical instrument world. 
  • I seem to recall the Gibson warranty being effectively useless here anyway. It's all about the retailer having your back. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14231
    tFB Trader
    Let's assume the guitar was sold brand new by a registered Gibson dealer with full warranty - You've now owned it for 1/2/3 or 4 days and decided to sell it it is now USED - Both legally and morally - No debate and 100% fact - No manufactures warranty and again 100% fact - You can describe it in 'as new condition', showroom condition, mint condition, brand new condition etc etc etc but I think stating it is 'brand new' without mentioning the condition, is a distorted statement and might well imply something else

As for returns and maybe a can of worms - Assume return is just because you don't like it, so not faulty - Legally, then if it comes back to the dealer in new condition, so the same as when first sent to the customer, as it should, then there is nothing illegal in the shop selling it again as new - After all, if you try the guitar in the shop and don't like it, should it now be reduced ? - Yet morally I've always never been happy with selling returns as new - Thankfully I get very few
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    How can these be a true reissue if Gibson don’t use the actual vintage fret scale?

surely that’s just makes them a modern “les Paul”...
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Whitecat said:

I can only think of two transferable warranties off the top of my head - Kia cars and Applecare (the latter of which is paid for above and beyond the product anyway). 

I’d wager the majority of companies restrict warranty to first owners - and this will be especially true in the musical instrument world. 
    All new cars have transferable warranties.  In fact, I think if you buy a kettle and subsequently sell it or give it away the 12 month warranty still stands as long as you have the original receipt as the warranty is on the product not the owner?

If you buy bankrupt stock from a guitar shop and sell it on eBay you would sell them as "brand new" would you not?  You're not the original supplying dealer but it's still a new product.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    poopot said:
    How can these be a true reissue if Gibson don’t use the actual vintage fret scale?

I agree.  It would be an easy thing to get right with modern manufacturing and would be a good distinction for a historic reissue
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    TimmyO said:
    For those feeling honest. Please tell me the results of this little test...

Play a C on the D string (10th fret), let it ring out.
    Then play C on the B string (1st fret), let it ring out.
    Then play C on the G string (5th fret), let it ring out.

Can you tell me if the fretted note on the G string dies out a lot quicker than those on the other strings?
    If you go looking for things like this you'll drive yourself nuts over something that will be similar on many guitars all  of which sound great when playing music 
    I was bumming out about a wolf tone on an SG once.  Then when I compared it to my #1 SG I realised it has one in exactly the same place.  Played countless gigs and rehearsals, never noticed
    tFB Trader

From the Gibson web site - 4th paragraph and clearly states non transferable - also note warranty has to be registered with Gibson within so many days of purchase - Not sure how legal that is within the EU

Gibson USA and Custom Warranty

Your new Gibson instrument is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the original retail purchaser, subject to the limitations contained in this warranty.

If at any time this Gibson instrument malfunctions as a result of faulty materials or workmanship, Gibson will repair the defect(s) or replace the instrument, as it deems appropriate in its sole discretion. Gibson reserves the right to use materials regularly utilized at the time of repair in the event that original materials are no longer available. If replacement of your instrument is deemed appropriate by our staff, Gibson will replace the instrument with one of the same or most similar style of a value not in excess of the original purchase price of your instrument.

This warranty covers the cost of both labor and materials on any repair deemed necessary by our Customer Service Representative for the lifetime of the original purchaser. In the unlikely event that your instrument is destroyed, lost or damaged beyond repair, while in the possession of Gibson for repair,Gibson will replace that instrument with one of the same or most similar style of a value not in excess of the original purchase price of your instrument. Any insurance covering the instrument, including but not limited to collector's value insurance, must be carried by owner at owner's expense.

THIS WARRANTY IS EXTENDED TO THE ORIGINAL RETAIL PURCHASER ONLY AND MAY NOT BE TRANSFERRED OR ASSIGNED TO SUBSEQUENT OWNERS. IN ORDER TO VALIDATE YOUR WARRANTY, AND AS A CONDITION PRECEDENT TO WARRANTY COVERAGE HEREUNDER, YOU MUST RETURN YOUR WARRANTY REGISTRATION CARD WITHIN FIFTEEN (15) DAYS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE. YOUR PROOF OF PURCHASE OR SALES RECEIPT MUST ACCOMPANY ALL REQUESTS FOR WARRANTY COVERAGE.

This Warranty Is Subject To The Following Limitations

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:

1. Any instrument that has been altered or modified in any way or upon which the serial number has been tampered with or altered.
    2. Any instrument whose warranty card has been altered or upon which false information has been given.
    3. Any instrument that has been damaged due to misuse, negligence, accident, or improper operation.
    4. The subjective issue of tonal characteristics.
    5. Shipping damages of any kind.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    edited September 2018
    Being brand new and/or having a valid warranty are two independent and different things.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Let's assume the guitar was sold brand new by a registered Gibson dealer with full warranty - You've now owned it for 1/2/3 or 4 days and decided to sell it it is now USED - Both legally and morally - No debate and 100% fact - No manufactures warranty and again 100% fact - You can describe it in 'as new condition', showroom condition, mint condition, brand new condition etc etc etc but I think stating it is 'brand new' without mentioning the condition, is a distorted statement and might well imply something else

As for returns and maybe a can of worms - Assume return is just because you don't like it, so not faulty - Legally, then if it comes back to the dealer in new condition, so the same as when first sent to the customer, as it should, then there is nothing illegal in the shop selling it again as new - After all, if you try the guitar in the shop and don't like it, should it now be reduced ? - Yet morally I've always never been happy with selling returns as new - Thankfully I get very few
    Absolutely agree Mark. Really not sure how anyone can argue differently. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • From the Gibson web site - 4th paragraph and clearly states non transferable - also note warranty has to be registered with Gibson within so many days of purchase - Not sure how legal that is within the EU

Your new Gibson instrument is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the original retail purchaser, subject to the limitations contained in this warranty.

If at any time this Gibson instrument malfunctions as a result of faulty materials or workmanship, Gibson will repair the defect(s) or replace the instrument, as it deems appropriate in its sole discretion. Gibson reserves the right to use materials regularly utilized at the time of repair in the event that original materials are no longer available. If replacement of your instrument is deemed appropriate by our staff, Gibson will replace the instrument with one of the same or most similar style of a value not in excess of the original purchase price of your instrument.

This warranty covers the cost of both labor and materials on any repair deemed necessary by our Customer Service Representative for the lifetime of the original purchaser. In the unlikely event that your instrument is destroyed, lost or damaged beyond repair, while in the possession of Gibson for repair,Gibson will replace that instrument with one of the same or most similar style of a value not in excess of the original purchase price of your instrument. Any insurance covering the instrument, including but not limited to collector's value insurance, must be carried by owner at owner's expense.

THIS WARRANTY IS EXTENDED TO THE ORIGINAL RETAIL PURCHASER ONLY AND MAY NOT BE TRANSFERRED OR ASSIGNED TO SUBSEQUENT OWNERS. IN ORDER TO VALIDATE YOUR WARRANTY, AND AS A CONDITION PRECEDENT TO WARRANTY COVERAGE HEREUNDER, YOU MUST RETURN YOUR WARRANTY REGISTRATION CARD WITHIN FIFTEEN (15) DAYS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE. YOUR PROOF OF PURCHASE OR SALES RECEIPT MUST ACCOMPANY ALL REQUESTS FOR WARRANTY COVERAGE.

1. Any instrument that has been altered or modified in any way or upon which the serial number has been tampered with or altered.
    2. Any instrument whose warranty card has been altered or upon which false information has been given.
    3. Any instrument that has been damaged due to misuse, negligence, accident, or improper operation.
    As I understand it, that applies to USA customers only. Sending a warranty card in from the UK will be ignored. See the Gibson warranty registration page:

"[Read the Warranty]

Please Note

All products purchased from an authorized international dealer must be registered with the authorized international distributor."

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    poopot said:

I agree.  It would be an easy thing to get right with modern manufacturing and would be a good distinction for a historic reissue
    valid point, but ref Fender Custom Shop vintage replicas, very few are ever built with small frets and a 7.25" fingerboard radius - in fact you can have a 50's neck shape on a 60's model or vice versa and ditto 50's pick-ups on a 60's model as required - Yet always accepted as a 'vintage replica'  - Granted this all goes with in a Custom Shop banner and as the name suggest (Custom Shop) then it allows for custom options - Maybe also as Fender Guitars are effectively a 'Mecano' style contraptions built out of a host of components then it goes with the territory of cut and suit as required
    tFB Trader

From the Gibson web site - 4th paragraph and clearly states non transferable - also note warranty has to be registered with Gibson within so many days of purchase - Not sure how legal that is within the EU

As I understand it, that applies to USA customers only. Sending a warranty card in from the UK will be ignored. See the Gibson warranty registration page:

"[Read the Warranty]

Please Note

All products purchased from an authorized international dealer must be registered with the authorized international distributor."

But the authorized international distributor is Gibson - Granted the actual registration for most brands of new guitars, sold in the UK, has never been required 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    WezV said:
    poopot said:

valid point, but ref Fender Custom Shop vintage replicas, very few are ever built with small frets and a 7.25" fingerboard radius - in fact you can have a 50's neck shape on a 60's model or vice versa and ditto 50's pick-ups on a 60's model as required - Yet always accepted as a 'vintage replica'  - Granted this all goes with in a Custom Shop banner and as the name suggest (Custom Shop) then it allows for custom options - Maybe also as Fender Guitars are effectively a 'Mecano' style contraptions built out of a host of components then it goes with the territory of cut and suit as required
    Would you say then that the AVRI line (or whatever it is called now) would be the most accurate fender 'reissue' type?
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Is it new, as new or second hand though?
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1421
    lp59boy said:
    crunchman said:
    lp59boy said:
    Guys took some pics of my 59 tobacco in the sun yesterday and can’t believe how different the burst looks!

someone please repost pics in thread as I don’t know how
    https://imgur.com/gallery/z6Nl1Y8

stunning like a perry burst

That one looks similar to mine.

Agree it's does look very different in different lights.

Some gratuitious shots of mine:

I meant this shot in the sun

https://i.imgur.com/Ioz8lez.jpg
    I have one that looks like that too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    all three? ;)