R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    terada said:
    WezV said:
    poopot said:
    How can these be a true reissue if Gibson don’t use the actual vintage fret scale?

surely that’s just makes them a modern “les Paul”...
    I agree.  It would be an easy thing to get right with modern manufacturing and would be a good distinction for a historic reissue
    valid point, but ref Fender Custom Shop vintage replicas, very few are ever built with small frets and a 7.25" fingerboard radius - in fact you can have a 50's neck shape on a 60's model or vice versa and ditto 50's pick-ups on a 60's model as required - Yet always accepted as a 'vintage replica'  - Granted this all goes with in a Custom Shop banner and as the name suggest (Custom Shop) then it allows for custom options - Maybe also as Fender Guitars are effectively a 'Mecano' style contraptions built out of a host of components then it goes with the territory of cut and suit as required
    Would you say then that the AVRI line (or whatever it is called now) would be the most accurate fender 'reissue' type?

The AVRI was pretty accurate, but the new American Original is not.  It has 9.5" radius fingerboards and taller frets.  Some may regard that as an improvement, although I quite like 7.25" radius boards.

The "Lacquer" version of the Mexican Classic series might be most historically available at the moment, as most Custom Shop guitars have 9.5" radius.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-classic-series-50s-telecaster-lacquer-white-blonde/82593?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlpLjl5vb3QIVDbTtCh0-8wkEEAQYASABEgK1jvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-classic-series-60s-stratocaster-lacquer-pf-3-colour-sunburst?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy9uxpZvb3QIVBLXtCh11cQZiEAYYASABEgILVvD_BwE

The 60's models have Pau Ferro boards rather than rosewood though, so nigh on impossible to get a vintage accurate 60's reissue from Fender.  You do always have the option of ordering a Custom Shop one though, but nothing off the shelf.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    crunchman said:
    terada said:
    WezV said:
    poopot said:
    How can these be a true reissue if Gibson don’t use the actual vintage fret scale?

I agree.  It would be an easy thing to get right with modern manufacturing and would be a good distinction for a historic reissue
    valid point, but ref Fender Custom Shop vintage replicas, very few are ever built with small frets and a 7.25" fingerboard radius - in fact you can have a 50's neck shape on a 60's model or vice versa and ditto 50's pick-ups on a 60's model as required - Yet always accepted as a 'vintage replica'  - Granted this all goes with in a Custom Shop banner and as the name suggest (Custom Shop) then it allows for custom options - Maybe also as Fender Guitars are effectively a 'Mecano' style contraptions built out of a host of components then it goes with the territory of cut and suit as required
    Would you say then that the AVRI line (or whatever it is called now) would be the most accurate fender 'reissue' type?

The AVRI was pretty accurate, but the new American Original is not.  It has 9.5" radius fingerboards and taller frets.  Some may regard that as an improvement, although I quite like 7.25" radius boards.

The "Lacquer" version of the Mexican Classic series might be most historically available at the moment, as most Custom Shop guitars have 9.5" radius.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-classic-series-50s-telecaster-lacquer-white-blonde/82593?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlpLjl5vb3QIVDbTtCh0-8wkEEAQYASABEgK1jvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-classic-series-60s-stratocaster-lacquer-pf-3-colour-sunburst?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy9uxpZvb3QIVBLXtCh11cQZiEAYYASABEgILVvD_BwE

The 60's models have Pau Ferro boards rather than rosewood though, so nigh on impossible to get a vintage accurate 60's reissue from Fender.  You do always have the option of ordering a Custom Shop one though, but nothing off the shelf.

Thanks @crunchman . I have an AVRI from 2011 I think so am more curious than anything else. I too like a 7.25 radius board. 

In a sense then the Fender custom shop operates more as an actual custom shop where anything goes, rather than Gibson whose custom shop really acts more as another 'better quality (I'm sure this could be debated)' company giving people the most accurate version of the classic designs.

• TimmyO said:
    For those feeling honest. Please tell me the results of this little test...

Play a C on the D string (10th fret), let it ring out.
    Then play C on the B string (1st fret), let it ring out.
    Then play C on the G string (5th fret), let it ring out.

Can you tell me if the fretted note on the G string dies out a lot quicker than those on the other strings?
    If you go looking for things like this you'll drive yourself nuts over something that will be similar on many guitars all  of which sound great when playing music 
    Good advice, you're right.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader
    terada said:

In a sense then the Fender custom shop operates more as an actual custom shop where anything goes, rather than Gibson whose custom shop really acts more as another 'better quality (I'm sure this could be debated)' company giving people the most accurate version of the classic designs.

effectively correct - Yet none can use Braz rosewood which was part of both products during certain periods of their golden era
  • Twinfan said: If you buy bankrupt stock from a guitar shop and sell it on eBay you would sell them as "brand new" would you not? You're not the original supplying dealer but it's still a new product.
    But in that case the products are brand new, they’ve never been sold to a customer, they’re not used or second hand. 

That’s completely different from a guitar that was sold by a dealer to a punter, and the punter then decides to resell it. At that point it is a used/second hand instrument, as @guitarsforyou and others have already eloquently stated. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    The guitar may be second/third/fourth hand but it could still be "brand new".  Like I said, it's a description of the condition of the item and it's nothing to do with how many times it's changed hands or if it was sold via a dealer/customer sale  :)
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Surely 105 pages and 88k views must be a record?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited September 2018
    terada said:
    Surely 105 pages and 88k views must be a record?
    My "show us your pedalboard" thread is approaching 150 pages, but that was started in week 1 of the forum. So the rate at which this one has grown is pretty damn impressive.

...and the "s**t that boils your p**s" in BCD is in the 350s.
    edited September 2018
    The pedalboard thread is such a great one. Has definitely contributed to many a pedal purchase.

Yeah the speed of this one has been something else, it has been (and continues to be) a fun ride too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Actually quite sad to be bowing out of the game. Was great fun bagging a beauty and the hunt for another R8 or an R0 at one stage. 

• The Helix thread in the FX section is also around 213 pages, noticed it the other day. That's been going since 2015 though, compared to one month for this one...... impressive stuff :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    edited September 2018
    WezV said:
    poopot said:

i don't think its the same thing.   That Fender will be advertised with the radius and fret size clearly stated.   They have mixed them up, but the spec is always clear

Gibson will focus on being more historically accurate than ever... "now with more accurate plastic" etc..   whilst ignoring the scale length issue altogether.

edit - vid for those interested in how gibson scale lengths can be odd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    WezV said:
    poopot said:

Point is... Gibson must be laughing all the way to the bank! (For a change)... selling a Les Paul that is effectively a modern day plain top and calling it a reissue!!!! 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Twinfan said:
    The guitar may be second/third/fourth hand but it could still be "brand new".  Like I said, it's a description of the condition of the item and it's nothing to do with how many times it's changed hands or if it was sold via a dealer/customer sale  :)
    Do you want to buy my car? It's a 2015 model, done 10k miles, had two owners.

It's erm, brand new.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    poopot said:
    WezV said:
    poopot said:

Point is... Gibson must be laughing all the way to the bank! (For a change)... selling a Les Paul that is effectively a modern day plain top and calling it a reissue!!!! 
    i think, just like the plastics used to be, they don't care because most players don't care.  It would cost them very little to do a different fret scale. 
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Hattigol said:
    Twinfan said:

It's erm, brand new.
    Don't be daft  ;)

If it's a 2015 with <10 miles on the clock i.e. as it came from the dealer and has been stored in a sealed garage all this time then you can call it brand new  :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    This thread has now entered some weird parallel universe.

Second hand guitars being listed as new!?

Anyone giving a monkeys about a few mm when it comes to scale length!?
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    dbphoto said:
    This thread has now entered some weird parallel universe.

Second hand guitars being listed as new!?

Anyone giving a monkeys about a few mm when it comes to scale length!?
    Play one with the correct vintage scale length!...

there is a load of difference... more space above the 12th fret for a start!...

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Twinfan said:
    Hattigol said:
    Twinfan said:

It's erm, brand new.
    Don't be daft  ;)

If it's a 2015 with <10 miles on the clock i.e. as it came from the dealer and has been stored in a sealed garage all this time then you can call it brand new  :)

You think that if you want, but you still only be able to sell it for about 70% of the new price because it is second hand.

As soon as you drive it off the forecourt it is now longer new.

There is a car dealership about a mile from my home.  If I buy a new car from them, and drive it 1 mile home it is no longer new.  I've lost about 30% (or thereabouts) of the value as soon as I drive it off the forecourt - because it is no longer new.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Twinfan said:
    Hattigol said:
    Twinfan said:

It's erm, brand new.
    Don't be daft  ;)

2015? 

Terrible year! I'm out! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom