Who bought a Peach R8

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27603
    Chalky said:
    Early notice on here of their bargains is a free benefit to this community.

If that early notice generates excitement and that generates sales then that is a return benefit for them.

Win-win.
    Exactly this.

The excitement and chat generated here probably tipped a few people from thinking-about-buying to actually buying.  Posts that show how many left just increase the pressure on those still thinking.  I'm betting that they sold more and/or more quickly as a result of the thread than they'd have generated through an email campaign alone.  

I wasn't asking "how many" as an evidence-gathering exercise to justify charging businesses for posting here.  That's not on the agenda.

But I am interested what value we offer. 

There's clearly a lot of buying power here, and a lot of people with buying power who recognise - and act on - a genuinely good deal.  I'm not expecting Gibson to dump Amazon as a sales channel and adopt us instead (although plenty of the Amazon deals get hoovered up by our members too), but we could represent a significant channel for some businesses.

Just need to ensure that a business relationship which has a clear benefit for the general community isn't trashed by a few "erratic" comments that makes us too much hassle for the value that's on offer.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited August 2018
    Twinfan said:
    Or how about they're a great spec guitar at a great price - one that's been unheard of for a brand new Gibson CS LP in recent years?

There's no perception or fear involved - they're a genuine "great buy". Saying otherwise does sound a bit like sour grapes.
    I’m sure the boss does not want anymore posts like this - but I want to clear up my posting you’ve referenced. Probably just a bad choice of words. There’s no sour grapes - if I wanted one I’d have bought one.

I was disagreeing that it was just the price of £2.5k that had people falling over themselves to buy one. 

Let me try and rephrase it. People like a good deal and when stocks are limited will tend to buy on impulse. When stocks are plentiful they will sit back and make a more considered purchase when the time is right.

So it’s not just the price on this occasion that was responsible for the number of sales it was the price and the knowledge of limited availability and not wanting to miss the deal.

I used the word perception as there will always be someone who’ll argue that £2.5k for a guitar isn’t a bargain.  

Better?

I’m not sayings it’s wrong - I did the same when I bought my VOS 63 335. A deal came up that I’d never seen before and didn’t want to miss it while I thought about it so I just bought it. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    There's got to be a way of harnessing this type of buying power. You boys  must have bought £100k+ s worth of guitars collectively. 

If I'd have had the funds I'd have been all over this too. It also shows that this is the magic figure for people to fall over themselves.
    Aye, could have just bought one actual 58 Les Paul between everyone and shared it around.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    prlgmnr said:
    There's got to be a way of harnessing this type of buying power. You boys  must have bought £100k+ s worth of guitars collectively. 

If I'd have had the funds I'd have been all over this too. It also shows that this is the magic figure for people to fall over themselves.
    Aye, could have just bought one actual 58 Les Paul between everyone and shared it around.
    Can you imagine the arguments over the pickguard?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Iamnobody said:

So it’s not just the price on this occasion that was responsible for the number of sales it was the price and the knowledge of limited availability and not wanting to miss the deal.
    That's the same as any sale though - supplies are limited and something desirable at a big discount is going to fly off the shelves.

We'll have to agree to disagree I think  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited August 2018
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Twinfan said:
    Iamnobody said:

That's the same as any sale though - supplies are limited and something desirable at a big discount is going to fly off the shelves.

We'll have to agree to disagree I think  :)
    In fairness to @Iamnobody, if they were always that price I probably would have waited. 

But they were at a discount price in the context of a company whose future is uncertain, a custom shop that is about to face significant change, and whose current stock is ever increasing in price. 

The discount price did (to me) represent a bargain.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Exactly. I wonder when the last time R8s were £2499 new was? Probably getting on for 10 years ago?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Twinfan said:
    Exactly. I wonder when the last time R8s were £2499 new was? Probably getting on for 10 years ago?
    GG said it was in exactly 2008 on their live FB broadcast
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    roberty said:
    Twinfan said:
    GG said it was in exactly 2008 on their live FB broadcast
    Not to mention £2499 in 2008 is over £3200 today. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Twinfan said:
    Plus the guitars are as good as they’ve ever been (since the originals anyway)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
    I thought so! And I agree - the latest CS Gibsons, say those in the last few years post the 2013 tweaks, are the best I've played and owned.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27603

And another +2 by PM.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Is that 17 inc those via GG?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, but did you all get the right type of glue? 

Not really a LP fan, so this was never for me. The equivalent of non-Strat CS Fenders could be nice though.
  • I've started a poll via a VERY quick google form...should take you two seconds to answer. Cheers!

https://goo.gl/forms/MOU6B7r72cYYJzYz1
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Guilty... but from GG 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Guilty... but from GG 
    Ditto 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer