Who bought a Peach R8

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27603
    terada said:

The disappointment for me is that the thread that celebrated how great these were, and was filled with the real reactions of loads of members genuinely receiving dream instruments, has been replaced by a thread that seems drawn to an underserved negative place, especially when you consider the over 5k (almost exclusively) positive responses previously.

That said I understand that getting over 5k unwanted notifications is enough to turn anyone off them   :)

@terada @tomajoha ;

There’s quite an easy fix for that problem.

Modmin creates a dummy user account with notifications set to off.  That dummy account then becomes then “owner” of the original thread, which could be re-opened and people could still comment on it without tomajoha getting deluged with update notifications.

Seems, from this thread getting brought back from the dead, that it’s still a topic of interest for the membership.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    TTony said:
    terada said:

The disappointment for me is that the thread that celebrated how great these were, and was filled with the real reactions of loads of members genuinely receiving dream instruments, has been replaced by a thread that seems drawn to an underserved negative place, especially when you consider the over 5k (almost exclusively) positive responses previously.

That said I understand that getting over 5k unwanted notifications is enough to turn anyone off them  

@terada @tomajoha ;;

Modmin creates a dummy user account with notifications set to off.  That dummy account then becomes then “owner” of the original thread, which could be re-opened and people could still comment on it without tomajoha getting deluged with update notifications.

Seems, from this thread getting brought back from the dead, that it’s still a topic of interest for the membership.
    Ah Tony that would be superb!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2021
    thebreeze said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    Mine is out on the stand permanently these days, it's my main guitar at the moment.

I spent some time a couple of weeks ago removing all the hardware and polishing off the VOS treatment with Virtuoso Cleaner. It looks absolutely stunning now. Interestingly, once the poker chip and guard were off, it revealed just how much it has faded since I bought it. It was iced tea originally, but it's fading out to dirty lemon quite rapidly and all of the bleed into the binding has vanished. The neck is also fading out from red to brown. For the first time with a Les Paul I don't feel the need to change any of the hardware or pickups either, it's a lovely sounding guitar just as it is.

Rob
    I'd love to see a pic of that, if it's not too much hassle!
    @thebreeze ;;Different guitars (obviously), but here are the backs of an R8 that has lived in its case, and an R9 that's been on a stand the whole time. Both the same age.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    TTony said:
    terada said:

That said I understand that getting over 5k unwanted notifications is enough to turn anyone off them   :)

@terada @tomajoha ;

That gets my vote! Do it! I still have Peach R8 thread withdrawals. 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    tomajoha said:
    Thanks for sharing @brize I’m glad you’ve got a way forward on two of them - it would seem Gibson QC is doing what it does best ;)
    More broadly, I think that Gibson have a great product. People moan about the pickups but they usually sound fine to me, the odd historical inaccuracy I can deal with, and I really like the VOS finish, although I accept that vintage Gibsons generally remain glossy and don't have that rubbed finish. I just can't fathom how so many QC issues can come out of a factory that is supposed to be producing a high-end product.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ossyrocks said:
    That gets my vote! Do it! I still have Peach R8 thread withdrawals. 
    I don't have the powers any more @ossyrocks ... but @Roland could probably do it, if he felt so inclined.
    :)

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    terada said:
    thebreeze said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    Mine is out on the stand permanently these days, it's my main guitar at the moment.

I spent some time a couple of weeks ago removing all the hardware and polishing off the VOS treatment with Virtuoso Cleaner. It looks absolutely stunning now. Interestingly, once the poker chip and guard were off, it revealed just how much it has faded since I bought it. It was iced tea originally, but it's fading out to dirty lemon quite rapidly and all of the bleed into the binding has vanished. The neck is also fading out from red to brown. For the first time with a Les Paul I don't feel the need to change any of the hardware or pickups either, it's a lovely sounding guitar just as it is.

Rob
    @thebreeze ;;Different guitars (obviously), but here are the backs of an R8 that has lived in its case, and an R9 that's been on a stand the whole time. Both the same age.

Mine has done the same, although it’s not faded nearly as much as this. The Cherry has started to take on a bit of transparency and bleed in certain areas. Looks cool. The front of mine is pretty much as new though 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    terada said:
    With that said, how about some pics  ;)

Holy cow , those are beautiful ,I can barely contemplate such awesomeness 

I’m so with you there!
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    terada said:
    thebreeze said:
    Ossyrocks said:

Rob

Thank you, they both look great - I really like dark backs but I also like fading, relic’ing, marks of use etc.
  • @TTony @Roland that'd be amazing to resurrect the old thread, yes please.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22933
    Brize said:
    Here are some recent examples of the Custom Shop's workmanship:

Excessive string spacing on a 1275

Sloppy pickguard placement on a 57 TV Model

Child-like scraping on the same '57 TV Model

Overcut binding channel on a '57 Custom

Incorrect angle on an ABR post on a different 57 Custom, making the guitar impossible to intonate without flipping saddles (because the bridge was too far back) 

I've only just seen these.  I must admit I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at the issues with the binding/scraping or the scratchplate, I just expect things like that from Gibson.

I was surprised by the 12-string bridge and especially the ABR post, I've never seen that before.  They really haven't improved significantly since the change of ownership, as far as I can see.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    @TTony @Roland that'd be amazing to resurrect the old thread, yes please.
    I’m not clear what you want me to do.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.

Roland said:
    @TTony @Roland that'd be amazing to resurrect the old thread, yes please.
    Hi @Roland . Tony suggested we might be able to get the old R8 thread back using the above method - it'd be great if we could  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4837
    Hell yeah!!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Roland said:
    @Roland ;

Completely understand why the original thread was closed - I can imagine @tomajoha was getting a little tired of the constant  update notifications hence you closing the original thread.

However, a lot of people contributed a lot of content to that original thread, and there's clearly an on-going interest in who's done what with the R8s that they bought (evidence; this thread getting bumped with the new comments).  

Also, that thread was something of a forum classic - I can't help feeling that we've "lost" something by preventing people from continuing to add to it and prolong the conversation.

To meet both objectives;
    • Create a new "dummy" user.  
    • Dummy user doesn't need an email address, just create it, and approve it.
    • Use that user account to create a new thread .  Call it R8Owners!
    • Split the comments from the original thread  into the new thread.
    • All the R8 owners can continue to chat to each other, share pics et al, arrange their anniversary meet-ups, etc on the new-old thread.
    • Put your feet back up again and enjoy the sunshine with a job well done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    tomajoha said:
    Gibson knew they needed to produce a pile of cash for their creditors by Jan 2018 I presume they upped production numbers/speed around this point to build enough guitars to generate cashflow, this date was subsequently brought forward to may 2017. 

By mid-2017 the rumours already started swirling about a stash of 500-700 custom shop guitars that gibson had amassed and couldnt shift having put onerous stock purchasing requirements that lead some US dealers to walk away .

At the same time they pissed off the entire Custom Shop oufit culminating in sacking mastermind Edwin along with 10 other staff.

Some of the stash made its way to europe (japan also) whihc became the first raft of the 2018 blowout, stock was subsequently replenished from the US when us Fretboarders hoovered them up.

@terada you seem to have been lucky in dodging the duffers especially given the number you had, maybe your high hit rate caem from the fact you bought from good delaers with high standards when accepting stock (Peach/Coda etc).

I saw and played at least 5 at the time which had stupid build issues, i then repeatedly saw them crop up in classifieds as the issue where often very easy to spot. I can only assume this was caused by low morale at the CS and high production numbers to drive revenue.

I am not out to get these guitars or suggest anyone who owns one is playing a lemon. It was a very weird time and I'm sure never to be repeated,  but the fact reason it was a hard-nosed reaction by gibson in Henry's dying days at the company that had an noticeable impact on some of their output. Some got lucky, some didnt!

PS I agree with 2018s, happily i've seen alot of good 19/20/21 guitars from the custom shop.

The Custom Shop was over producing for years.  There is a limited market for guitars at that kind of price, and they couldn't sell them all.  Lots of high price inventory would have looked like an asset on the books for the bean counters to try to stave off the chapter 11 bankruptcy.  Once the bankruptcy became inevitable, they had to liquidate them.

There is nothing different to the 2017 models than the models they had been producing before that.  There will have been some good ones and some bad ones.  I had a 2010 that had major issues - like a wrong neck angle and the bridge being a couple of millimetres off from where it should have been, which meant I couldn't quite intonate it perfectly.  I bought the R9 in my avatar in the blowout, and it is far better made than that 2010.  It also sounds a lot better than the G0 I had before that.

I also picked up a Historic 335 a few months later when they blew them out.  I've owned around 30 electric guitars over the years, and I think that is the best of the lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    TTony said:
    Roland said:
    @Roland ;

Completely understand why the original thread was closed - I can imagine @tomajoha was getting a little tired of the constant  update notifications hence you closing the original thread.

I have asked my colleagues whether that’s something they want to do.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    TTony said:
    Roland said:
    @Roland ;

However, a lot of people contributed a lot of content to that original thread, and there's clearly an on-going interest in who's done what with the R8s that they bought (evidence; this thread getting bumped with the new comments).  

Also, that thread was something of a forum classic - I can't help feeling that we've "lost" something by preventing people from continuing to add to it and prolong the conversation.

To meet both objectives;
    • Create a new "dummy" user.  
    • Dummy user doesn't need an email address, just create it, and approve it.
    • Use that user account to create a new thread .  Call it R8Owners!
    • Split the comments from the original thread  into the new thread.
    • All the R8 owners can continue to chat to each other, share pics et al, arrange their anniversary meet-ups, etc on the new-old thread.
    • Put your feet back up again and enjoy the sunshine with a job well done.
    Or just let the thread die, put your feet up and enjoy the sunshine without pandering to silly demands :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    I wanted a lightweight dirty lemon but missed the boat!  I believe there was an ES blowout at Chicago music exchange of equally epic proportions too
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3471
    edited June 2021
    Roland said:
    TTony said:
    Roland said:
    @Roland ;;;

I have asked my colleagues whether that’s something they want to do.
    EDIT: great to hear it's coming back!

@TTony thanks for taking the time to help get it back. Your suggestions sound like a win, win, to me at least!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
This discussion has been closed.