Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pedals, do you not use any?

What's Hot

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4045
    I love, absolutely love the moments when the sound changes from being up close, immediate and solid to <click> a vast cavern of springy reverb.  Or <click> a second guitar echoing the line I've just played, so I can play against it. 
    I like the guitar-into-amp sound; that's most of the gig.  But I love the way you can do those other things and that's why I run a small board. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've come to the conclusion that if the amp is good enough I don't really need pedals.  I bought a very early Tone King Imperial - the trem and reverb are superb and adding any pedal to the clean just takes the edge off the sparkly, bouncy tone.  If I need to push the drive I use an Exotic BB which sounds fine, especially with humbuckers.  When I want to use mainly a driven sound (which is unusual for me) I tend to crank the Rift5 as I like the pushed tweed sound for that and again pedals can't really better what is there already.  Having said all that I tend to play the kind of classic rock, rock 'n roll and blues stuff so it suits this kind of approach.  I'm not closed to pedals and different soundscapes and if I had the discipline and the time I'd definitely  experiment a bit more. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5551
    I'm a Guitar>Amp kinda guy. Always have been.
    I have a few pedals and multiFX but I've always struggled getting them all set up, especially the multi. I feel more 'connected' going direct to amp, no colouring to hide the mistakes!
    I keep meaning to get my head round my effects. It's on my to-do list with a million other things.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    i don't own any pedals, can't be bothered and never had loads of cash, homemade 18watt plexi with power scaling or 36 watt that's about it, i like to use volumes and tones 

Tweed will be next i think
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7839
    edited September 2018

No pedals for me either.*

*may not be true.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    Jackobean said:
    Pedals are for the weak.
    Lol. Post of the month and we’re only on day 1!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Can believe Im saying this... NO !

Everything sorted through the Kemper.

What's the setup with the 4 speakers and cab?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Can believe Im saying this... NO !

Is your Carr just a Kemper stand these days Waz?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Only when I gig and even then it's rare. Only "functional" - e.g. boost, distortion, tuner etc. 
  • With a mk1 Blackstar HT-5 mini stack, I add a BOSS FRV-1 reverb pedal in the send/return loop. Then, for recording purposes, I switch the effect off again. D'oh!

Some times, I chuck together random combinations of pedals in an attempt to stumble upon an interesting pseudo-original sound. Occasionally, it works out well. More often, it yields something clever but completely unusable in any musical context.

In short, the older I get, the less I lean on effect pedals.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I've a few drive pedals that I almost never twesk and use a TC GMajor2 for everything else apart from Neo Instruments Vent for Leslie. The pedal I use most though is a TC Ditto looper for noodling along with myself.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    With what I do I'd be lost without the option for delay, and either drive or footswitchable channels.  The rest is just bells and whistles, but comes in handy.
  • There's loads that I don't use.

Don't use a TS9
    Don't use reverb
    Don't use strymon... 

Ahem. Sorry. :-D
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I've never gone for pedals. I add reverb and delay on sounds with my Axe FX though, but never turn them on and off, they are just 'there' with some sounds.
  • The only one I use is a TS9, if you count a TU-2 and an ISP decimator as the others then that's it. Main sound is from the amp.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28662
    Jackobean said:
    Pedals are for the weak.
    Amps are for the weakend? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Can believe Im saying this... NO !

Beautiful and simple.

I don't use any either. Kemper does it all. I have a Big Muff just in case, but that's up for sale too.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited September 2018
    I've always used amp distortion so had no real use for pedals other than a boost for heavier stuff and EQ in the fx loop for solo boosts. Now I'm ampless I'll probably pick up a cheap RAT-flavoured pedal so I can get a decent version of my sound without relying on specific amps as I can just plug into any rehearsal room amp if needed. I sometimes use a bit of delay and fuzz as "unsubtle special effects" but apart from that I'm not arsed about modulation and such. Might get a crazy reverb one day for those ambient and shoegaze moments.
  • Talisman plate reverb, that's it. I only have that because my head doesn't have reverb. 

Although I would like to try a decent spring reverb pedal.
  • 90% of the time it's amp only (it has an excellent onboard reverb). Recently the covers band I'm in has started trying out a couple of heavier/grungier tracks so I've invested in a higher gain pedal just to get a bit more filth, and I use a GE-7 for solo boosts. Just acquired a used Korg Pitchblack tuner too. 

Total cost of pedals on my board - £95.