Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pedals, do you not use any?

What's Hot

Comments

• thegummy said:

thegummy said:
    Can believe Im saying this... NO !

Everything sorted through the Kemper.

What's the setup with the 4 speakers and cab?
    2 x Genelec 8020s into Kemper L/R out

2 x Genelec 8010s into Kemper Monitor

Sorry I'm not that familiar with the Kemper, what audio actually gets routed to the different speakers? Is the cab just for show?

I think I've heard that it's possible on the Kemper for the amp sound to come out a cab then just the wet component of stereo effects like reverb etc. come separately out of stereo speakers. Is that true? Is it even desirable?

Definitely would love to get a Kemper one day down the road. It's just so expensive and my Amplifire sounds so good to me it's hard to justify the upgrade.
    Tenebrous said:
    thegummy said:

thegummy said:

Sorry I'm not that familiar with the Kemper, what audio actually gets routed to the different speakers? Is the cab just for show?

I think I've heard that it's possible on the Kemper for the amp sound to come out a cab then just the wet component of stereo effects like reverb etc. come separately out of stereo speakers. Is that true? Is it even desirable?

Definitely would love to get a Kemper one day down the road. It's just so expensive and my Amplifire sounds so good to me it's hard to justify the upgrade.
    I'd like to know this also. I'm guessing that Wazmeister is running two left/two right with the full sound coming out of both... If so, I have to wonder what that'd sound like with the speakers placed around you.

I think it'd be glorious.
    Correct, he's running the full sound through all 4 speakers. However, it is totally possible to send the wet signal to stereo monitors and the dry "stack" to a central cabinet/speaker.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9629
    edited September 2018
    So, guys, basically this is how I use the Genelecs with the Kemper...

1.) I started with the smaller brilliant Genelec 8010s on the stands. Then, I bought the 8020s which are bigger sounding and fuller.

2.) The 8020s then became the main outputs for the Kemper... these operate at ear level (sitting on a chair).

3.) Sometimes, however, I sit on the floor, especially when programming the Kemper Remote. This means the sound was 'above' me, so I plugged the 8010s into the monitor out (via a shared 2 into 1 connector).

4.) The Kemper has independant volumes, so I can blend the 2 in.

Ironically, the idea came from when I owned the UAD Ox. 

The Rambler is there if I wanted to plug straight into a classic wonderful valve amp...

Apologies for the derail :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:

thegummy said:

Tenebrous said:
    thegummy said:

thegummy said:

I'd like to know this also. I'm guessing that Wazmeister is running two left/two right with the full sound coming out of both... If so, I have to wonder what that'd sound like with the speakers placed around you.

Correct, he's running the full sound through all 4 speakers. However, it is totally possible to send the wet signal to stereo monitors and the dry "stack" to a central cabinet/speaker.
    Sounds like it would be very cool to try out out, no idea if it would actually make it sound good or not though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2428
    Not for me. I like the idea of them but I struggle to come to terms with the cost for one sound. Also, even when I did have them I'd tweak them to "my sound", something I'd already done with the amp, so it all seemed a little counter-intuitive to me. Besides, all the fiddling around drives me potty!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

thegummy said:

Tenebrous said:
    thegummy said:

thegummy said:

Sounds like it would be very cool to try out out, no idea if it would actually make it sound good or not though
    My gut feeling is that it'd sound awesome. Like a wet/dry/wet rig, very cool. I'd love to try it one day.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers to all for the explanation :+1: 
  • Morning 

I’ve been using the Catalinbread pedals through my Princeton and Deluxe Reverb at home volumes, Formula 5, Sabracadabra, DLS etc. Great way to get Tweed, Marshall, Sabbath tones at home levels for playing covers. I don’t have the room for too many different amps. Throw in some fuzz, delay and chorus for good measure!

Easy to switch off if you just want to run clean  =)
  • Pedals are part of my fascination with gear.

I have put together a pedalboard, made the board itself from wood, covered it with faux leopard print fabric and then put the pedals on.

I have overdrive, fuzz, tremolo, reverb and delay.

To be honest it is part of the fun of playing at home, different if I was in a band again as guitar into amp is just so simple.

Pedals help me be creative, and to be honest I need all the help I can get!!

• My gigging pedalboard was tuner, wah, chorus/flanger, delay, clean boost and Decimator noisegate. Of that I used to use the wah a lot and the delay for one solo per gig
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Three pedals. Boss inline tuner pedal, Boss DD2, and a Bad Cat 2Tone mains connected pedal. That gives three types of settings. 'Green light' is straight through with nothing added. You get the sound of the amp. Orange will give increased volume, still very clean. 'Red' will give gain and sustain. Not 'wasp in a jam jar' but a nice, clear sustain.

Nothing else.

Pleasantly surprised to see so many who aren't in to loads of pedals.

Personally find it quite annoying when people spend ages fiddling with them between songs lol

Also from my personal view, I find it very bizarre when that Ausie guy from that pedal show puts on a few different pedals they basically hits one note and savors it like a wine person swirling round some posh wine. I wonder if other people do anything like that. To me it's like being more into the pedals than music but each to their own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    edited September 2018
    Yeah, I like to try a new setting then savour it. See how it is.

Once I've dialled in my settings to where I like, they tend to stay that way forever though.

I think I'm Tuner>Phase>Fuzz 1 (BM style)>Overdrive>Fuzz 2 (octave fuzz)>Wah>Tape Delay.

Fairly simple.
  • thegummy said:
    Personally find it quite annoying when people spend ages fiddling with them between songs lol

I did a gig once and the guitarist in the band who soundchecked before us used loads of pedals. He tested every single one while they were soundchecking... one at a time... and then some combinations... longest soundcheck I've ever heard! We went up after that, set our gear up, soundchecked and started the gig 10 minutes later :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• thegummy said:

I did a gig once and the guitarist in the band who soundchecked before us used loads of pedals. He tested every single one while they were soundchecking... one at a time... and then some combinations... longest soundcheck I've ever heard! We went up after that, set our gear up, soundchecked and started the gig 10 minutes later :)
    Good times. But, sorry about that...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I wonder if pedals are often a case of the thing most of us fall in to at some point where we try to throw money at something going to advance something when frustrated at not advancing the real way?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2600
    tFB Trader
    Depends on the amp, great lower wattage amp + great guitar = very few pedals
     needed
    huge stiff amp not turned up very loud = a few more pedals needed

I have lots of pedals, but 909of the time I play just plugged straight in now
    In a weird way I'm at both extremes when it comes to 6 string guitar. I don't have an actual amp so I only use a pedal (amp sim). But within that virtual environment I rarely use any stimulated pedals, often preferringto to straight in to the simulated amp.
  • thegummy said:
    Pleasantly surprised to see so many who aren't in to loads of pedals.

Also from my personal view, I find it very bizarre when that Ausie guy from that pedal show puts on a few different pedals they basically hits one note and savors it like a wine person swirling round some posh wine. I wonder if other people do anything like that. To me it's like being more into the pedals than music but each to their own.

I don't see it as any different as someone hitting a note through a dirty channel of the amp & letting it ring out for as long as possible, really. They're just different kinds of musicality.
  • Hard to beat a two-channel amp. Loved my AOR30. My current setup is one channel though, so I use a Guv'nor.
  • You do realise that there are other types of music than rock, right?
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom