Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pedals, do you not use any?

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3580
    That's the thing, I was also wondering what kind of music people liked to play and what pedals they used for that music, I know nothing about pedals and there is so many of them on the market its all a bit baffling.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Tenebrous said:
    thegummy said:
    Pleasantly surprised to see so many who aren't in to loads of pedals.

Personally find it quite annoying when people spend ages fiddling with them between songs lol

Also from my personal view, I find it very bizarre when that Ausie guy from that pedal show puts on a few different pedals they basically hits one note and savors it like a wine person swirling round some posh wine. I wonder if other people do anything like that. To me it's like being more into the pedals than music but each to their own.

I don't see it as any different as someone hitting a note through a dirty channel of the amp & letting it ring out for as long as possible, really. They're just different kinds of musicality.
    If anyone does that then I find it equally bizarre. Just haven't seen it.

Wouldn't really call it "musicality" personally, don't think 1 note could be classed as music lol
    You do realise that there are other types of music than rock, right?
    Yes - funk.

Don't even need an amp for that, never mind pedals, just plug straight in to the desk.
  • thegummy said:
    Tenebrous said:
    thegummy said:
    Pleasantly surprised to see so many who aren't in to loads of pedals.

Personally find it quite annoying when people spend ages fiddling with them between songs lol

Also from my personal view, I find it very bizarre when that Ausie guy from that pedal show puts on a few different pedals they basically hits one note and savors it like a wine person swirling round some posh wine. I wonder if other people do anything like that. To me it's like being more into the pedals than music but each to their own.

I don't see it as any different as someone hitting a note through a dirty channel of the amp & letting it ring out for as long as possible, really. They're just different kinds of musicality.
    If anyone does that then I find it equally bizarre. Just haven't seen it.

Wouldn't really call it "musicality" personally, don't think 1 note could be classed as music lol
    I don't know, I love hearing how a note decays, all the harmonics, the attack of a note, how it feeds back. Give ten players the same guitar & the same amp, get them all to play the same note, and they'll all get a different sounds from it. Sure, the difference might be slight, but it's there, and that's because each note can be musical.

(I'm the kinda guy that could play with one note on an analogue synth for an hour without getting bored >.<)

Also, I'm with @lasermonkey . Currently, my go-to genres are video game music & classical... Honestly, I'd probably be better off putting more time into my piano practice, but there's just something about grabbing a string that I love :+1:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    I often think when I see these huge pedal boards that the owner may be happier with a synth. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • You do realise that there are other types of music than rock, right?
    Sorry, what?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Neil said:
    I often think when I see these huge pedal boards that the owner may be happier with a synth. 
    Watch out, I said something similar recently and it seemed to upset a few people for some reason!
  • Neil said:

As someone that plays both guitar & keys, I kinda get where you're coming from, but at the same time, they're still two entirely different experiences.

There's nothing in the guitar rule book that says we should all be playing the same two guitar models & hopelessly faffing around with pentatonic licks until our fingers stop working... That said, most of my favourite guitar players fit into that category.
  • Neil said:
    I just think they don't play the same pubs I play!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28661

I know it's a risky thing to say on a guitar forum, but there's a whole world of music outside playing Mr Brightside at the Dog & Duck every Thursday. ;)

At a guess you couldn't get a grand piano into the "stage" area at most pubs, but I'd hope no-one here thinks that there's no good piano music.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Plus point for pedals - it irritates the cardigans ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Kitsune said:
    Plus point for pedals - it irritates the cardigans ;)
    I thought they used pedals quite a bit?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    I do love how the puritons get so pissy about pedals saying they plug straight in to get their sound, then talk about using the overdrive channel of their amp... not realising that an awful lot of the circuitry in overdrive channels is pretty much a drive pedal hard wired in (often with SS clipping)!

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil said:
    Let me guess. Blues player?
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Neil said:
    Richard Clayderman plays the blues (in a classical style)
  • Sporky said:

I know it's a risky thing to say on a guitar forum, but there's a whole world of music outside playing Mr Brightside at the Dog & Duck every Thursday. ;)

At a guess you couldn't get a grand piano into the "stage" area at most pubs, but I'd hope no-one here thinks that there's no good piano music.

Every Thursday...I wish!

Yeah, I don't disagree. Seldom seem to get an idea how people actually do use them, maybe they just like looking at pedals and don't even switch them on.  Entirely their own  business of course. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    Neil said:
    I often think when I see these huge pedal boards that the owner may be happier with a synth. without being criticised for their choices
    FTFY
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

Every Thursday...I wish!

Yeah, I don't disagree. Seldom seem to get an idea how people actually do use them, maybe they just like looking at pedals and don't even switch them on.  Entirely their own  business of course. 
    Because there's more to music than blues or classic rock. There's whole areas of guitar-based music that probably wouldn't exist without effects. I can't imagine Post-Punk, New Wave or their offspring being what they were without them. You might not like them or even be aware of them, but they are no less valid than any other form of music.

One of the things I love about the electric guitar is that there are so many possibilities. It's such an incredible instrument!

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    Neil said:
    As someone who shares the same thought as Neil, I can answer that I'm far from that - I was a keyboard player for many years before getting in to the guitar. When I was finding all the new sounds I could incorporate into my music I came across the ones who heavily process their guitar through a dozen pedals to the point it doesn't sound much like a clean guitar would it just seemed like trying to imitate what I'd been able to do with synths all along but just not as well.

I think people who felt defensive to this comment and my similar one from a few weeks ago might assume that we see synths as inferior and might be a blues purist. For me it's definitely not the case, I enjoy music that use the highly modulated guitars such as post rock etc. But I do think they might prefer a synth and think these days with software, many of those artists are indeed using them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6104
    EricTheWeary said:

Dum dum dum, dum dum de dum, dum dum dum, dum dummmm.
    Archers theme?