Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Guitar R9 sale - Anyone getting excited about these

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited September 2018
    You should go try one, though if you're an LP man then bets are you wont like it. 
    It's not specific to that guitar - it's a cliquey frowning upon of something not OK'd by the group. It downright sucks IMO.

Can you imagine if these comments were directed at peoples' playing? There'd be a riot! 

@Sporky I said it once before and I'll say it once again. I love that historical re-enactment line lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    edited September 2018
    It's nothing to do with inventiveness, there's just nothing about it that appeals to me - it's a horribly coloured superstrat with a trem, gold hardware, a bolt-on neck and a quilty top.  It's literally everything I wouldn't have on a guitar of mine.

Like I said earlier though, each to his own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Twinfan said:

Like I said earlier though, each to his own.
    And that is appreciated!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 540
    Bloody hell mate, you make me feel old!  It has been a while since the old 'Guitarist' days!  As I said, I'm all for modern guitars as much as vintage type ones.  I think that everyone is conditioned to a certain thing with guitars - anything different is against the grain.  In fairness, it's just that one particular finish for me, I reckon it's the first Suhr I've looked at and dislike the aesthetic.  Certainly didn't think I was making any gross statements one way or the other (although I appreciate the 'dipped in sick' comment may have been gross by definition!).  

The great thing with guitars is that there is something for everyone.  There will be popular models and ones less so, but they're all great! :D 
  • You should go try one, though if you're an LP man then bets are you wont like it. 
    It's not specific to that guitar - it's a cliquey frowning upon of something not OK'd by the group. It downright sucks IMO.

Can you imagine if these comments were directed at peoples' playing? There'd be a riot! 

@Sporky I said it once before and I'll say it once again. I love that historical re-enactment line lol
    Dude I play a fucking Jazzmaster. You are preaching to the choir!
    Like you kind of alluded to earlier, I like it, that is all that matters
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    @Fifty9 I've been on this community for almost 20 years and you appear to be new - you take your Les Paul, I'll take my guitar, and let's see who's winding who up. Honestly !! 

It's the same with songs - there's quite a lot of critique going on but tell you what, it's hard to do anything good.. I'm talking from Dream Theater to Mark Knopfler to Wonderwall... it takes guts and people put themselves out there in front of folk and it gets shot down so easily. 

Armchair critics.
    Was only meant to be a lighthearted quip. 

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited September 2018
    In that case, I do apologise...!

I know it's no excuse but next month is a year since Sheena passed away and I'd been going through some of her things tonight for the first time since she went into hospice. It's just been a crap day. And yes, I did like that guitar. And yes, I can see how it's gaerish. I've not had a single days' holiday for a year now.. hopefully when I;m away in a few weeks I can come back re-charged and be able to take humour again. Sorry, guys..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 540
    We all have days where things set us off mate.  Everyone's opinion is different and everyone will have days where someone else's opinion grates when it doesn't match with our own. :) 
  • Besides, this thread is still 70 odd behind the R8 one. We are going to need some controversy to even get us close, or this becomes just another shit sequel.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Thanks, guys. 
    Please continue with your Les Paul goodness. 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Besides, this thread is still 70 odd behind the R8 one. We are going to need some controversy to even get us close, or this becomes just another shit sequel.
    Perhaps if we all bought and returned one of GG's R9's that would spice it up a bit?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    terada said:
    Besides, this thread is still 70 odd behind the R8 one. We are going to need some controversy to even get us close, or this becomes just another shit sequel.
    Perhaps if we all bought and returned one of GG's R9's that would spice it up a bit?
    We could run a sweepstake on how many headstocks get broken by the couriers.
  • You know I'm actually starting to find these comments insulting and it's not even my guitar. 
    Seems there isn't any room for any sort of inventiveness at all anymore. 
    Folk moan about the same old blues columns of Guitarist with Les Pauls on the front but that's because everybody seems to still be wanting them... even after years of complaining (come on, you know it's true lol)... when a fire-sale comes about. 

Let me tell you, it might not be to your tastes, but that guitar was absolute heaven to hold and play. The build quality and wood choice was stunning. OK, I can see how the colours can be a bit harsh, but I like it. 

I'm not sitting around slagging off anybody else's guitars. It's a bit much, guys... honestly. When did it ever become cool to be like this?

You know what? I'm glad I took my time and re-discovered I'm not a Gibson guy and not part of this frenzy. I'm glad I'm a PLAYER and not a GASser. 

Harrumph.
    Hear, hear...

Great post mate, and well said 
  • It's my day off today so I feel the need to swing by Andertons or GG Epsom - an R9 beckons

• I think that one way or another, whether we like to admit it or not, we're all invested in one brand or another, or maybe two or three. 

This clouds our rationale, again, whether we like it or not. 

When I owned a Suhr, I was like @thomasross20 and would fight for that brand, they really are amazing guitars. Nowadays, I don't own oneand have found that I care less about people's opinions on them. If I fundamentally disagree with a notion, I'll speak up against it. Equally, I'll speak about the reasons I had for selling it. Same goes for my old PRS.

I don't think it's cool to act like a bellend but I think an opinion should be shared if you have one. Problem is, you'll get a few options that will be hard to swallow and as we've seen here, the few that like to be verbose in their vivid and often crude deductions. Such is life, I like to think that it's never a knock on me, personally, just someone's opinion of a guitar.

We all like different things, and that's a good thing. I think most of us (my post included) probably posted our views to get a few lols - not because we wanted to upset Suhr owners or knock John Suhr's FANTASTIC (I mean that genuinely) workmanship. :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Good points.  No-one is saying anything about Thomas, they're just giving an opinion on the guitar.  Haters gonna hate and all that.  Taking those comments personally needs to be avoided.

Personal attacks based on choice of guitar are unacceptable but thankfully very few and far between.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    The way I see it is that there are a lot of people here who have collectively invested a lot of money in their new R8s and R9s, and are very much in a honeymoon period with their new guitars at the moment. 
    Understandably, they may not currently be receptive to the idea that other guitars exist which may be equally or even more stunning than their new babies.

Sense may return once the new owners have stopped losing sleep worrying about the size of their neck pickup gap.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504

I don't like the colour of that Suhr, and I'm not a big fan of "Superstrats" but some of the comments were a bit over the top.  To say that you wouldn't be seen dead playing it is a bit ridiculous.

For that kind of money I'd far rather have an R9 or a Masterbuilt Tele but I wouldn't say no if someone gave it to me - although I'd probably look at getting a nitro refinish in a more tasteful colour if the neck profile and fretboard radius are ok.  I think that would look nice in a different colour.

While it could look nice, most Superstrats have too flat a radius and too shallow a neck for my tastes, which would be a complete deal breaker.  The pickups are often too hot as well, although they could be changed.  I think that dislike of "Superstrats" and the 80's widdliness that goes with them doesn't help guitars like that either.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:

I don't like the colour of that Suhr, and I'm not a big fan of "Superstrats" but some of the comments were a bit over the top.  To say that you wouldn't be seen dead playing it is a bit ridiculous.

OK, I went a bit over the top with that comment, but as I later explained that guitar has absolutely everything I don't like on it.  If you were making a guitar that I wouldn't like in any way, that's it personified.

I'm not sure why people are making such a big deal out this.  People like different stuff and dislike different stuff - that's life!
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    crunchman said:

For that kind of money I'd far rather have an R9 or a Masterbuilt Tele 

You could have both! £7k I believe someone said
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom