Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Guitar R9 sale - Anyone getting excited about these

What's Hot

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited September 2018
    Look at the description of the neck on their website. Also, certificate says lp standard (not r9). 

“Tribute to production line model”

”modern feel of the les Paul Standard with a modern neck shape but with custom shop build quality”.

Its a 9 serial, mabye as the top is flamed. But it’s an odd description.

Never played it, could be wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    They all say ‘standard’ on the COA, and no ‘R’ on the headstock, it was how they did it back in the day and other such bollocks.
    dbphoto said:
    They all say ‘standard’ on the COA, and no ‘R’ on the headstock, it was how they did it back in the day and other such bollocks.
    My certificate says “LPR8”.

Its just the description seems strange. 

Is yours a 2017?  If so then god knows, Gibson being Gibson probably!
    dbphoto said:
    It’s a 2013 to be fair.

Still, don’t think I’ve ever seen a historic described as “modern neck shape” before!
    edited September 2018
    TINMAN82 said:
    dbphoto said:
    It’s a 2013 to be fair.

Still, don’t think I’ve ever seen a historic described as “modern neck shape” before!
    Ah, well there you go, the 2017’s say ‘standard’ on the COA, but still say R8 or R9 on the warranty card and hang tag.

As for the neck description, ignore that as it seems most retailers have described them wrong!
    dbphoto said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    dbphoto said:
    It’s a 2013 to be fair.

Ah, well there you go, the 2017’s say ‘standard’ on the COA, but still say R8 or R9 on the warranty card and hang tag.

As for the neck description, ignore that as it seems most retailers have described them wrong!
    Still, I’d check with Andertons first if I was considering laying down £3.5k. They do seem to do some special run custom shops with altered neck profiles and such like.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Whitecat said:
    In any other year the R9 would have a different neck carve, but in 2017 they decided to do the R9 carve on both R9s and R8s. 

R9s get flamey tops and the R9 mahogany sort is allegedly the lightest... but as we’ve seen and has been pointed out a lot, there are flamey tops on R8s as well for some reason and there seem to a lot of lightweight ones too... perhaps the weight reduction on the R8s is in lighter maple, I’m not sure.  

Finally, I read on one of the big LP forums that the darkest rosewood is also currently reserved for R9s. This would be an interesting thing to compare on the Standards in the shops... 
    My 2017 LP Classic has an incredibly dark board. I saw some that looked awful. But mines got that rich fruitcake colour. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    jeztone2 said:
    Whitecat said:
    In any other year the R9 would have a different neck carve, but in 2017 they decided to do the R9 carve on both R9s and R8s. 

R9s get flamey tops and the R9 mahogany sort is allegedly the lightest... but as we’ve seen and has been pointed out a lot, there are flamey tops on R8s as well for some reason and there seem to a lot of lightweight ones too... perhaps the weight reduction on the R8s is in lighter maple, I’m not sure.  

Finally, I read on one of the big LP forums that the darkest rosewood is also currently reserved for R9s. This would be an interesting thing to compare on the Standards in the shops... 
    My 2017 LP Classic has an incredibly dark board. I saw some that looked awful. But mines got that rich fruitcake colour. 
    There’s always a lucky dip element it seems with Gibson’s wood pile...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Whitecat said:

That's not just a Gibson thing.  You can find Mexican Fenders that sound absolutely stunning.  Might only be one in 20 of them, versus in in 3 from the Custom Shop, but you can find them.

Even PRS (for all their reputation for quality control) can vary depending on the wood.  I've sold it now, but when I bought the DGT in my avatar, I managed to get 3 of them in the same room, and they all sounded slightly different.

I need to update the avatar with the new R9.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    Whitecat said:

That's not just a Gibson thing.  You can find Mexican Fenders that sound absolutely stunning.  Might only be one in 20 of them, versus in in 3 from the Custom Shop, but you can find them.

Even PRS (for all their reputation for quality control) can vary depending on the wood.  I've sold it now, but when I bought the DGT in my avatar, I managed to get 3 of them in the same room, and they all sounded slightly different.

I need to update the avatar with the new R9.
    Of course, I purely meant with weight/aesthetics... tone is another thing entirely, and how the parts all stack up together...
    Anyway, you guys got me looking at R9s now with the sole plan of slapping a Bigsby on one were I to be stupid enough to follow through... arrrggh. Probably won't actually act on this dumb impulse, but arrggghh.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8196
    Am I the only one not even remotely tempted to go and spend £1,000 more than the cost of an R8 on an LP just because it has some flaming on the body?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Probably not, I'm sure there are others.

If anyone is tempted though, it's a great time to buy at prices we're unlikely to see again.
    Twinfan said:
    Probably not, I'm sure there are others.

If anyone is tempted though, it's a great time to buy at prices we're unlikely to see again.
    This is precisely all it is... 

And for flippers (who are a little bit patient, the market will need to correct itself over time) R9s tend to hold that £1k extra in resale.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    18reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    edited September 2018
    Owned a great R8 a couple of years ago with an R9 neck. Prefer the CS Tele I have now for everything but understand the emotion pull of the Gibson brand. I am resisting!! 
    I’m very happy with my R8, so much so I am seriously considering getting an R9.

Which is bloody crazy really, but if I sold the recently acquired Les Paul BFG and Schecter then surely not that crazy........
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    dbphoto said:
    I’m very happy with my R8, so much so I am seriously considering getting an R9.
    Exactly the same position I was in and I now have both.

With my two, the only differences are the top, a slight weight difference, the pickup DC resistances and a slightly different tone.  Neck profiles are the same, feel is the same etc etc.  Pickups and weights will vary across R8s too of course, so you really are only paying for the top.  I'm happy with the cost/looks ratio on mine, but a lot of the R9s don't look that special to me.
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Having never been a Les Paul fan I have no idea what on earth you lot are going on about - R8, R9.R0?????? and long may that continue. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom