Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Guitar R9 sale - Anyone getting excited about these

What's Hot

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    The second R8 pictured above wasn't part of the recent deal, but would have been cheaper than the equivalent R9 at the time.

I've seen lots of R9s with tops that are nothing special.  Yes, they're flamier than most R8s but they're not superb.  The £1000 upcharge is only really worth it in my eyes for a REALLY good flame top e.g. this one from GGs latest stock that sold last week:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited September 2018
    Took a pic of that one I tried in store yesterday:

• Took a pic of that one I tried in store yesterday:

If you like it, go for it, waiting for a good top could take you a long time. Just live and enjoy it!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    dazzajl said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    dazzajl said:
    Whoaaaa here..... ;)

Eveey time I’ve bought a new Gibson I’ve played each of the model I want in the shop and no two have felt the same at all. And the difference between my most and least favourite has been a chasm. 

Please folks, do the right thing here. Go and play with your hands awake, your ears open and (as much as you can have) your eyes closed. 
    Yes and no. In my experience most of these R8s and R9s play well.........
    I would certainly hope so. For me at least, the differences between a great guitar that feels
    just right and another great guitar that’s not quite for me can be really minor. I’d be wanting a play a few to see how they compare and I’d also be not at all surprised if one I didn’t iniatially look at won me over. 
    Agree in principle. In reality thought, its rare to have enough examples of exactly the same model in a local store to make any sort of statistically valid comparison. At best, you have the peace of mind that your choice is best of the 2 or 3 in stock. Even fewer if your set on a particular colour.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    what don't you like about that top - looks lovely to me :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited September 2018
    Don't suppose you have the link to that? This is like data mining lol 
    terada said:
    Don't suppose you have the link to that? This is like data mining lol 
    My 2014 Ice tea for reference:

This is it above- 2014, not 2018 as I said before editing the post. In my view the perfect top. Perfect colour, flame and grain combination.

edit- oh...and the stars have aligned too meaning a nice tight gap between fretboard and neck pickup ring rather than the visible tenon! If I came across one like this I’d pay £5k and call it a day on new Les Pauls.
    Those are R8s?? Going for £1k less? 
    Damn....

The 2014 wasn't part of this deal, but there are plenty like it that were in the thread.

Complete luck of the draw though.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    TheGASMan said:
    Don't think there are any R8s left at £2499 - not that I can find anyway

Max Guitar in the Netherlands still have a couple, including a nicely figured lemon top.
    Twinfan said:
    TheGASMan said:
    Don't think there are any R8s left at £2499 - not that I can find anyway

Max Guitar in the Netherlands still have a couple, including a nicely figured lemon top.
    There are also a few floating around but not online, best to call to find out.

I know one of the ones I didn't take yesterday was earmarked for a customer that had called in in case any have become available. 

They tend to get sold before they get a chance to go online.
    edited September 2018
    TBH I liked the top on the one I tried. But £3.5k. 
    I just came home and ripped it up on my Suhr and my PRS. 

The Suhr has the HSS 22-fret nice quackiness. That base is covered. In fact I actually prefer 22 frets now due to pickup spacing  - I was always a diehard 24 fret fan but no more. 

The PRS IS a 24-fret with extremely good upper fret access. The 57/08 pups and mahogany body make it as near a Les Paul as is possible.

An R8/R9 would "clash" with the PRS. I'd feel I'd have a redundant guitar and too much money wrapped up in guitars. I can play mine well enough that they "sound good" regardless of make (not blowing my own trumpet!) - that money could be put toward doing up my garden a little bit. If it were £2.5k I'd consider but so much dosh and I'd have THREE electrics, two of which being practically the same. And I'm not gigging. And I'm playing more acoustic than ever. 

Just giving my excuses NOT to buy lol... 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5869
    Know exactly what you’re saying ;

It depends on priorities I guess. I’ve often had a specific model and finish in mind going into a shop a s come away with something else entirely because it simply felt so much better. 

One was a LP and by far the pick of about 8 or 10 in Dawson’s Reading. I felt pretty good about choosing on it’s strength as in instrument and the way it felt just right in my hands. Sadly shallowness caught up with me and I let it go because it was also my least favourite finish. 

Have tried to be a bit balanced since then. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    gringopig said:
    gringopig said:
    I expect to hand over a healthy wad of cash as a balance I'm sure lol

gringopig said:
    I'm going to head of to GG with some guitars to see if I can trade them in against one.
    Intention is to obtain those sweet sweet flames and to lessen the strain on space to store what I have left.
    2011 Gibson 50th anniversary Robby Krieger SG
    1996 Gibson Les Paul Special with added Les Trem II (which may or may not come off depending on offer)
    1999 Danelectro 56-U2 from the first Korean series.

Let us see what the offset is against an R9 or even R0...
    Let us know what they offer for the Krieger and surely someone here will beat it @gringopig ;;;
    Check out GG Edinburgh if anyone wants a nice Robby Krieger SG with replacement Crazyparts Vibrola and a resultant decent bridge break angle!
    There is also a nice LP Special with ultra funky P100 pickups and a rare first edition Korean re-issue Dano.

Not saying what I got for them but I'll just leave this here:

I played lots of them and they were all similar but this one had an acoustic presence that I liked.

You have done well sir. Congrats
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 695
    I played a mates R9 a few weeks ago, he paid 3.5k for it used a few months ago.
    I was blown away by the weight, so light :O I don' own a Les Paul anymore due to shoulder and neck problems but this was perfect.
    Also it sounded great, a bit brighter than his others, sat better in the mix when jamming, great neck too and amazing flame top.

One of the BEST Les Paul's I've played but I couldn't pay 3.5k for a guitar :(
    #thebatesmotelband
    edited September 2018
    Aaahh the Edinburgh one I was looking at is now SOLD. 
    I'm a little gutted, but at the same time relieved and feel like I just saved myself three and a half THOUSAND pounds. I'm so glad this decision was made for me...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Still want to know who bought it ;)
  • Still want to know who bought it ;)
    I have an alibi... 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopig said:
    gringopig said:
    I expect to hand over a healthy wad of cash as a balance I'm sure lol

gringopig said:
    I'm going to head of to GG with some guitars to see if I can trade them in against one.
    Intention is to obtain those sweet sweet flames and to lessen the strain on space to store what I have left.
    2011 Gibson 50th anniversary Robby Krieger SG
    1996 Gibson Les Paul Special with added Les Trem II (which may or may not come off depending on offer)
    1999 Danelectro 56-U2 from the first Korean series.

Let us see what the offset is against an R9 or even R0...
    Let us know what they offer for the Krieger and surely someone here will beat it @gringopig ;;;
    Check out GG Edinburgh if anyone wants a nice Robby Krieger SG with replacement Crazyparts Vibrola and a resultant decent bridge break angle!
    There is also a nice LP Special with ultra funky P100 pickups and a rare first edition Korean re-issue Dano.

Not saying what I got for them but I'll just leave this here:

I played lots of them and they were all similar but this one had an acoustic presence that I liked.

'Sake Gringo, stop buying amazing guitars and making me jealous! Last one you bought consequently made me spend a LOT of money!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @gringopig R8 v R9...tone and looks...verdict?