Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Guitar R9 sale - Anyone getting excited about these

What's Hot

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1588
    Hattigol said:
    Am I the only one not even remotely tempted to go and spend £1,000 more than the cost of an R8 on an LP just because it has some flaming on the body?
     Sounds like sour grapes to me. 3.5k isn't a lot of money to many people.

(I'm joking - just echoing the similar comments in response to discussion on dropping 2.5k on an r8) :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    So I see Andertons are doing 36 months 0% interest free on the R9 deal...
  • I'm sort of thinking with at least 80 to sell across the dealers and maybe more to come out that £3499 may not be the low

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TheGASMan said:
    I'm sort of thinking with at least 80 to sell across the dealers and maybe more to come out that £3499 may not be the low

Me too.  R8 sold in about 24 hours.  These are hanging around by comparison 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    I reckon £2999 would be the 'fly of shelf' price.
  • i think you could be right that change from 3 to 2 might just swing it - will kill 2nd hand prices for a year or two and may well mean very little R8/R9 supply next year - unless Gibson management really are as stupid as we all think
  • terada said:
    I reckon £2999 would be the 'fly of shelf' price.
    You're probably right, but if this is similar to the R8 clear out there will likely be a minimum  (whisper it... *price fixed*!) number that everyone curiously matched. Can't see another £500 coming off, and the 3 year thing will make a huge difference to many 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    Only GG seem to be on the hook though in terms of stock levels - any other dealer who has any only has a few. GG can probably afford to wait before they have to slash prices. Depends how impatient they are I guess...
    Depends what they paid for the stock too
    edited September 2018
    I pity the dealer who might have to repeatedly and continually decline price match requests for the next year due to Gibson’s obtuse model year scheming...
    edited September 2018
    I got all the weights for the ones I liked through this morning. There was nothing super light of the ones I liked. 

Shockingly, some were in the high 9lbs. Didn't expect that.

Makes the R8's look even better value
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23145
    horse said:
    Hattigol said:
    Am I the only one not even remotely tempted to go and spend £1,000 more than the cost of an R8 on an LP just because it has some flaming on the body?
     Sounds like sour grapes to me. 3.5k isn't a lot of money to many people.

(I'm joking - just echoing the similar comments in response to discussion on dropping 2.5k on an r8) :-)

Strangely, it really doesn't seem that much in the current market. 

But it's still about £800 more than I've ever spent on a guitar.  I seem to have mentally accepted current prices without ever actually paying them.

• Good point @Philly_Q - I am normally a PRS buyer and have been a Suhr fan in the past and those prices are starting to get out of hand
    terada said:
    I got all the weights for the ones I liked through this morning. There was nothing super light of the ones I liked. 

Shockingly, some were in the high 9lbs. Didn't expect that.

Makes the R8's look even better value
    I think one issue with R9s is that the tops are sorted for looks, not weight, so heavy ones could be more common than you’d expect. 
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1425
    edited September 2018
    Coda have a really nice R9 at a good weight. Surely won’t be long before someone snags this one

https://www.coda-music.com/gibson-custom-shop-2017-1959-les-paul-standard-flametop-iced-tea-97822.html

The ones at Kenny’s look nice too.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5636
    hyperben said:
    Coda have a really nice R9 at a good weight. Surely won’t be long before someone snags this one

https://www.coda-music.com/gibson-custom-shop-2017-1959-les-paul-standard-flametop-iced-tea-97822.html
    Yeah, that's a beaut.
    hyperben said:

Very nice looking. My GG R8 is only 8.2lb though, and I'm really enjoying that compared to my 9lb 2014. 

For me to jump on the R9 train it needs to be seriously light.

Also, is it me or does dirty lemon look better as a plaintop? The ones I've seen on the forum in the R8 thread all looked superb but from checking out some youtube vids, while IMO the ones with flames just don't seem as good as other colours with flame.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1425
    terada said:
    hyperben said:

Very nice looking. My GG R8 is only 8.2lb though, and I'm really enjoying that compared to my 9lb 2014. 

For me to jump on the R9 train it needs to be seriously light.

Also, is it me or does dirty lemon look better as a plaintop? The ones I've seen on the forum in the R8 thread all looked superb but from checking out some youtube vids, while IMO the ones with flames just don't seem as good as other colours with flame.
    Honestly each guitar is unique to me. I’m not fond of washed cherry on a plain top but love it with flame. Conversely I find iced tea looks great on a plain top but isn’t as attractive with flame. Dirty lemon I could take either plain or flame, depends on the top.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Totally depends on the top, as Ben says.  I also find each guitar unique although Dirty Lemon is pretty much universally loved by me.
  • Whitecat said:
    I pity the dealer who might have to repeatedly and continually decline price match requests for the next year due to Gibson’s obtuse model year scheming...
    I called into PMT in Manchester last week and they were aware of the R8 pricing blow-out but wouldn't even discuss budging on the pricing of their R8 stock.

Their limited amount of 2017 R8 stock was already covered in dust from hanging on the wall, so I can only presume that they plan to sit it out -  potentially, for a very long time (with the prospect of newer Custom Shop stock moving in alongside existing stock).

I asked the question earlier but received no responses - has anyone been successful in pushing for a price (near-) match in stores not officially involved in the blow-out be that for R8 or R9?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom