Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Flipping

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Flipping heck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have bought and sold a stack of gear in the last year or so. 

My biggest issue, being a middle class Englishman from Surrey, is remembering wtf I paid for something when I put it back up for sale. 

The thought of a previous owner seeing an ad of mine and noticing a price increase, fills me with horror. I can *feel* them tutting at me. Hell, I'm worried that the very act of selling something they sold me might offend them. 

Still, it's the internet. At least I don't have to make eye contact! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Does a middle class Englishman from Surrey really say 'wtf'? Outrageous. The post made me LOL though! 
    Call me Dave.
  • DB1 said:
    Does a middle class Englishman from Surrey really say 'wtf'? Outrageous. The post made me LOL though! 
    Trying to blend in.

It's not working. Although I live in Yorkshire now ;) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DB1 said:
    Trying to blend in.

I always have a great deal of respect for anyone engaging in missionary work. 
    Call me Dave.
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    DB1 said:
    DB1 said:
    Trying to blend in.

That's what she said

:D

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rabs said:
    That's what she said

The day I fully understand what she's saying, I'll let you know! Bloody Yorkshire-isms! 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3468
    Im fucked if Im ever buying anything off here! I get bored with gear too easily and if I see something I like I price what I am selling accordingly to what its worth and what I want to buy, not by what I paid for it. Only sayin guys.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Name and shame mate, name and shame
    There is one person who has done this time and time again.
    The MO is buy cheap and then flip to eBay using the same photos and text.

Somewhat against the spirit of the forum but it is a free country and people can choose to deal with him or to not.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Rabs said:
    DB1 said:
    DB1 said:
    Trying to blend in.

That's what she said

:-D I'm sorry you've adopted that position. 
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    DB1 said:k
    Rabs said:
    DB1 said:
    DB1 said:
    Trying to blend in.

That's what she said

:-D I'm sorry you've adopted that position. 
    You need to get on top of the situation.

As I said, I appreciate how a free market works. Nobody forced me to sell at a particular price but I did let it go for less as it was to a Fretboarder and to see it listed at £450 more on Ebay just seemed a bit contrary to the spirit of this forum. That's all.

Anyway, I'll buy it off him on Ebay, snap the neck when it arrives, get my money back off PayPal. All sorted...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited September 2018
    I’m sure plenty of us have decided within a few days (or hours) that a guitar isn’t for us and will be sold on.

Sounds like the guitar was undersold by £350 in the first place (possibly because it was collection only). If it wasn’t worth £350 more he wouldn’t have been able to move it on for that. 

Once sold its his to keep or sell and tbh none of your business. I wouldn’t have replied to a sour grapes text either.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Wasn't collection only.
    I didn't send him any 'sour grapes' text.
    Other than that, spot on.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I really don't see the problem. Sure, it would be a bit annoying to see someone else make £350 extra on 'my' guitar but the fact is that some people are better at selling than others. I don't generally sell stuff, but I'd probably let things go at a loss every time to be honest just to shift them out, so I could hardly complain.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    In fairness, a) it wasn't a sour grapes text, just enquiring as to whether anything
     wrong with something that was going to be a keeper (price wasn't mentioned), and b) the text wasn't received to even be ignored. You will have also read that I agree with your point that it's someone else's business what they sell on for, but it's a human reaction to feel let down if they feel that the purchase has been conducted in the wrong spirit.

But water under the bridge now, and my reasoning and Lee's reasoning have been articulated pretty well, I think, and I certainly don't have a problem with him, or, I hope, him with me as evidenced by his helpfulness on the Les Paul thread.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • As someone else said - transparency is the issue. Anyone who presents a sob story to buy low, then flip is essentially a (low-level - admittedly) fraudster. If anyone has that done to them on here, I think they should name and shame.

If someone buys something that hasn’t worked out for them, the ideal would probably be to advise the person they bought from and make their intentions known. If they make a ‘significant’ profit - it would be good form to offer to split it with the original owner. All of this assumes that the original purchase was on the forum btw.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I have bought and sold a few guitars over the last couple of years, trying to find something I am happy with, but have been completely disillusioned by some recent sales. Thankfully I am happy with the three guitars I have left.

First off, I have no issue with dealers and see them as a service, if it suits your circumstances at the time, and you are aware who you are dealing with.
     However, it is the feeling of being duped, if the dealer presents as an enthusiastic individual, that grates.

I had put a guitar up and down for sale a number of times with no takers. Was a good guitar but I had some niggles that I could not quite (pun alert) put my finger on.

From Gumtree, I received an offer that was a bit lower that I was happy with,  but if someone was going to come and take it away, fine. Once the buyer said they were in England I was less keen. Packing, day off work to wait for courier. 
    Naively I fell for the 'really want it', 'going to a good home' story and agreed to pack it and drop to the post office if they provided me the shipping labels.  I made it clear I would have been happier with insured UPS.

A few days later I received a message alleging that I had packed the guitar with a damaged selector switch and a request for £75 to import a switch from the US. After a number of messages I managed to rebut his argument by using logic. By this stage I knew he was a dealer and thought he was trying to squeeze his margin a bit more.

Within a few days it was for sale on Ebay at £900 more than I sold for.   

The bloke that bought the guitar from eBay found my Reverb listing and is furious that he paid so much more than I had listed for.
    He contacted me, via Reverb messaging, and asked me if there was anything in the eBay listing that could be inaccurate. The description was largely accurate but with some subjective embellishments, contradictions and some things that the dealer could not possibly know.
    It turns out that the dealer has several accounts, both eBay and Reverb, where some are business accounts with a returns policy and others are private with no returns policy.  The guitar was listed on the private account so I am not sure what the position is for the buyer. I know from his messages that if it had been the business account he would have returned it as soon as he found my Reverb listing.  

I know caveat emptor  applies but I feel sorry for the bloke. I feel slightly duped but really only lost £200 which I am happy to pay to rent a guitar for 2 years to work out I would prefer something else.

There are a few other details and that is only one story but this post is too long already.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Capitalism.

We are programmed to think it’s good to “make” money out of things.

But then we are programmed to get jealous of someone else’s “success” when they make more.

This is basic financial competition.

I’m not saying it’s wrong or right - but boil these threads down and this is what the bottom line is.

My advice - if you don’t want to get upset by it either a ) don’t sell anything or b ) don’t search on eBay for guitars you recently sold to check you did ok.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • I've bought lots of guitars for the "right" price and sold them on for the "price". Never once using some x factor hard luck story or caning the seller's biscuits! Always paying the ending price or, more or less the advertised price on gumtree, eBay and even preloved in one case.

The bottom line is that you are paying a price that the seller is happy to sell at. If they are not then that is down to the seller not the buyer.

I buy what I like then if it is not for me I know what I can sell it for so that I am not out of pocket. Some of us don't have an endless stream of cash and these things need to be considered. I also know a bargain when I see one ;)