Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Flipping

What's Hot
12345679»

Comments

• Auction houses don’t have fret scores.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    Same link twice, Lord Seven. 
    Sorted!
    Erm, that's not flipping, Harry.
    That's business.

Erm...precisely my point. :)

Life's too short to get steamed up about markup, whether amateur, prosessional, whatever.

The only time it jars is (as has been pointed out) when someone spins a yarn to grab a discount. In the past it worked on me - and yes, it does taste shitty, but these days I'm quite happy to refuse to sell stuff if I think someone's trying to take me for a ride.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    edited September 2018
    I actually fall into the “you buy in good faith and so then it’s your guitar to do as you please”

Caveat Emptor seems to have become a rather foreign concept these days. Yes, it’s a community - but unless someone is actually a scam artist or a disguised business then I see no reason to cooler or ban. 

Yeah, it’s polite to message whomever you bought it from and all that - but actually, we are all adults. It’s a big bad world out there. Wise up to what people are like and get on with it.

Sure, there’s a nice community here of serial flippers. No problems there. There’s people who make a bit of money on a sale and lose on a sale from time to time too. 

I object to people turning up and just buying and selling their wares here - but mostly because if they are doing that for a living then they should be paying tax on the profits. And if they are already they are a business and should abide by those rules. 

Once again - Caveat Emptor should be all you need to get by quite safely. Whinging after the fact is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    edited September 2018
    Not keen on this agreeing with @Bridgehouse ;;
    well put sir
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not keen on this agreeing with @Bridgehouse ;;
    well put sir
    I feel dirty now
  • Still having difficulty processing all this. You’re trying to tell me that some fickle souls actually purchase guitars, and then sell them..? It’s beyond my limited comprehension.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • JerkMoans said:
    Still having difficulty processing all this. You’re trying to tell me that some fickle souls actually purchase guitars, and then sell them..? It’s beyond my limited comprehension.
    You're a lawyer - you sell shit for far more than it's worth every single day of the week chap...

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoans said:
    Still having difficulty processing all this. You’re trying to tell me that some fickle souls actually purchase guitars, and then sell them..? It’s beyond my limited comprehension.
    You're a lawyer - you sell shit for far more than it's worth every single day of the week chap...

;)
    Ouch :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoans said:
    JerkMoans said:

;)
    Ouch :D
    Sorry, I meant to add

”just like me...”
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    Ok. Well, I wasn't expecting that level of response.

Mixed reaction, fair to say.

As regards the sour grapes allegation, I'd refer back to my original post. It felt odd. That was all. No intention to name the guy.

Each to their own with this. But I can understand why the admins get miffed at using the classifieds that way.

Worse thing for me was that in addition to bumping the price up, he'd nicked the proper case for his other CS guitar so the buyer wouldn't even get the proper case. It did also occur to me that he might not quite have been 'maxed out' at the price he gave me if he could then go and buy another similar guitar soon after.

Still for sale if anyone is looking for a terribly overpriced CS Strat...
    @Hattigol ;;
    Let's get both sides of the story out in the open Stephen in the interests of ensuring the full picture is understood as I'm aware you've been PM'ing folk in connection to this.

As many people have said on this thread - I made you an offer for your guitar - you accepted. No-one had a gun to your head. 

I was FULLY transparent when you sent me the messages below on eBay (which I didn't take as sour grapes I must add - however I would question why you didn't just DM me or email me?) in communicating that I'd subsequently ended up trading another guitar of mine for a slightly rarer CS Strat - hence I had decided to keep it as the main Strat in my arsenal and sell "your" guitar on.

I'm not sure how that matches your comment on me not being "maxed out" buying your guitar or being "able" to buy another CS Strat so soon.

The case you sent with the guitar was as you know damaged - hence I have re-purposed it as a wall mounted display case - replacing it with an as new hiscox for the purposes of sale. 

The guitar is now for sale on eBay at offers around £1800 - I might get £1650 which once you take fees of 10% to eBay / 4% to Paypal / + postage and I cover the cost of the Hiscox and fix to the switch (which was shot on arrival - don't worry however as I didn't feel to contact you on that) will see me make a LOSS.

I'm OK with that .. as that's how the cookie crumbles.Sorry you seem to think otherwise and that you're even thinking of making some sort of scam by buying the guitar through Paypal, snapping its neck on arrival and making a claim as a course of action.
    That definitely wouldn't be in the spirit of the FB community.

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    Anchorboy said:
    Hattigol said:
    Ok. Well, I wasn't expecting that level of response.

Mixed reaction, fair to say.

As regards the sour grapes allegation, I'd refer back to my original post. It felt odd. That was all. No intention to name the guy.

Each to their own with this. But I can understand why the admins get miffed at using the classifieds that way.

Worse thing for me was that in addition to bumping the price up, he'd nicked the proper case for his other CS guitar so the buyer wouldn't even get the proper case. It did also occur to me that he might not quite have been 'maxed out' at the price he gave me if he could then go and buy another similar guitar soon after.

Still for sale if anyone is looking for a terribly overpriced CS Strat...
    @Hattigol ;;
    Let's get both sides of the story out in the open Stephen in the interests of ensuring the full picture is understood as I'm aware you've been PM'ing folk in connection to this.

As many people have said on this thread - I made you an offer for your guitar - you accepted. No-one had a gun to your head. 

I was FULLY transparent when you sent me the messages below on eBay (which I didn't take as sour grapes I must add - however I would question why you didn't just DM me or email me?) in communicating that I'd subsequently ended up trading another guitar of mine for a slightly rarer CS Strat - hence I had decided to keep it as the main Strat in my arsenal and sell "your" guitar on.

I'm not sure how that matches your comment on me not being "maxed out" buying your guitar or being "able" to buy another CS Strat so soon.

The case you sent with the guitar was as you know damaged - hence I have re-purposed it as a wall mounted display case - replacing it with an as new hiscox for the purposes of sale. 

The guitar is now for sale on eBay at offers around £1800 - I might get £1650 which once you take fees of 10% to eBay / 4% to Paypal / + postage and I cover the cost of the Hiscox and fix to the switch (which was shot on arrival - don't worry however as I didn't feel to contact you on that) will see me make a LOSS.

I'm OK with that .. as that's how the cookie crumbles.Sorry you seem to think otherwise and that you're even thinking of making some sort of scam by buying the guitar through Paypal, snapping its neck on arrival and making a claim as a course of action.
    That definitely wouldn't be in the spirit of the FB community.
    always two sides to a story 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    And one of them's usually more accurate than the other but I'll leave it there.
    Oh and GLWTS.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Buying it back and snapping the neck?! Sounds far fetched but If that’s true I think my original sour grapes comment sticks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    TINMAN82 said:
    Buying it back and snapping the neck?! Sounds far fetched but If that’s true I think my original sour grapes comment sticks!
    I suggest you Google the phrase 'sense of humour'.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • I have bought and sold a few guitars over the last couple of years, trying to find something I am happy with, but have been completely disillusioned by some recent sales. Thankfully I am happy with the three guitars I have left.

First off, I have no issue with dealers and see them as a service, if it suits your circumstances at the time, and you are aware who you are dealing with.
     However, it is the feeling of being duped, if the dealer presents as an enthusiastic individual, that grates.

I had put a guitar up and down for sale a number of times with no takers. Was a good guitar but I had some niggles that I could not quite (pun alert) put my finger on.

From Gumtree, I received an offer that was a bit lower that I was happy with,  but if someone was going to come and take it away, fine. Once the buyer said they were in England I was less keen. Packing, day off work to wait for courier. 
    Naively I fell for the 'really want it', 'going to a good home' story and agreed to pack it and drop to the post office if they provided me the shipping labels.  I made it clear I would have been happier with insured UPS.

A few days later I received a message alleging that I had packed the guitar with a damaged selector switch and a request for £75 to import a switch from the US. After a number of messages I managed to rebut his argument by using logic. By this stage I knew he was a dealer and thought he was trying to squeeze his margin a bit more.

Within a few days it was for sale on Ebay at £900 more than I sold for.   

The bloke that bought the guitar from eBay found my Reverb listing and is furious that he paid so much more than I had listed for.
    He contacted me, via Reverb messaging, and asked me if there was anything in the eBay listing that could be inaccurate. The description was largely accurate but with some subjective embellishments, contradictions and some things that the dealer could not possibly know.
    It turns out that the dealer has several accounts, both eBay and Reverb, where some are business accounts with a returns policy and others are private with no returns policy.  The guitar was listed on the private account so I am not sure what the position is for the buyer. I know from his messages that if it had been the business account he would have returned it as soon as he found my Reverb listing.  

I know caveat emptor  applies but I feel sorry for the bloke. I feel slightly duped but really only lost £200 which I am happy to pay to rent a guitar for 2 years to work out I would prefer something else.

There are a few other details and that is only one story but this post is too long already.
    Brief update:
    Bloke who bought the guitar from the eBay dealer has received a full refund.
    Dealer has listed the guitar again and increased the price to £2595.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Hattigol said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    I suggest you Google the phrase 'sense of humour'.
    I find the concerns you’ve raised in this thread quite amusing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom