Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Flipping

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I kind of think we have reached saturation point on this thread?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Garthy said:
    If I flog a Jackson for £400, and my fellow fretboarder only gets £300 for it on eBay a week later, am I expected to give him £50?
    Flogging a Jackson? And somebody bought it off you? What you're meant to do is breathe a sigh of relief you got rid.  ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rinse and repeat, can we have a dedicated section for flipping, forum contributions, in fighting  and coolering. They come round every month or so  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    It could be called the "have to check the title bar to make sure I'm not on mumsnet" section.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3468
    We arnt on mumsnet?
    Shit!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10228
    As long as I get what I want for a guitar/pedal whatever I don’t care what someone does with it after I’ve bought it, and I’ve no idea why anyone else does either.

Keep it, sell it, smash it up. I don’t care. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Adding my tuppence worth...........

I have sold things to friends and they have then sold them on for a profit, and yes I did feel a bit aggrieved, but there was nothing I could do.

You only have to look at any antiques show on telly at the moment to realise that there is money to be knocked off because of a sob story (yes, I know it's telly, but the principle is still there!), in the hope that money can be made at the point of resale. Of course it can often be sold at a loss, so its all down to luck on the day.

I suppose it's a bit like that really, you pays your money and you takes your chances and it's up to you how much of a **** you want to be on screwing down the price.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I'd like it if something bought on forum was first offered back to the forum, ideally at the same price, on resale. It can go to the wider market if it doesn't sell.

Otherwise we're just a bunch of marks for the flippers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • And if someone loses money on a deal we can all have a whip round to reimburse the difference or offer a consolatory handjob. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    fandango said:
    Garthy said:
    If I flog a Jackson for £400, and my fellow fretboarder only gets £300 for it on eBay a week later, am I expected to give him £50?
    Flogging a Jackson? And somebody bought it off you? What you're meant to do is breathe a sigh of relief you got rid.  ;)
    Would never flog a Jackson, nice try talking the market down ;)
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    I'd like to make a positive point on here about some of the people on here who do flip.........

Around 18 months ago there was a Gibson Les Paul for sale here at a bargain price. Fairly local and collection only. I was third to the party after two other members (who are both very local to myself). Thinking i'd missed out they both contacted me directly to see if i was after the guitar to earn a couple of quid or indeed to play it and cherish it. I explained that I've wanted a real les paul since i started playing and this would be a guitar i'd keep and use. Both the buyers in front of me stepped aside and i ended up with the guitar myself.

It was really nice to see that two members put the comminuty spirit above earning a profit.  True to my word I still have the guitar and play it at every gig.

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    That’s really nice. :)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Years ago I gave a car to one of my mates as he was skint, a year later my car had broken down and he'd just got a new company car, so asked him for it back.  He said "you can have it for £200 I've had to put new tyres on it"
    5reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2051
    I have no issue whatsoever with someone selling on anything I have sold and if they can get a profit then good on them. I would never sell anything for a price I wasn't comfortable with and once a deal is done that's the end of it for me. What I do dislike is when someone fabricates history and sells the guitar with a description which suggests they have had it a long time and tag lines like "Never been gigged" or "Only one previous owner".  As long as deals are straight and honest both for the purchase and sale then it's fair game in my book. 

I also think guys who "flip" can actually be a positive in the sense that they will keep the market moving, I know I have sold a few items I may have struggled to sell had the buyer not been confident of turning a profit. Yes they can be a pest with low ball offers but here's the trick... don't get wound up by them and if they are to low for you don't accept them. If you feel aggrieved to see them asking a higher price than you sold it for try doing the same deal with Guitar Guitar and the like then you will really feel ripped off.

There are good guys and bad guys to deal with regardless of their intentions in the market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2270
    If only we all the same moral values as each other, the world would be a much better place....

But probably it wouldn't. It would be dull.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    edited September 2018

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Same link twice, Lord Seven. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10475
    tFB Trader
    CMW335 said:
    I have no issue whatsoever with someone selling on anything I have sold and if they can get a profit then good on them. I would never sell anything for a price I wasn't comfortable with and once a deal is done that's the end of it for me. What I do dislike is when someone fabricates history and sells the guitar with a description which suggests they have had it a long time and tag lines like "Never been gigged" or "Only one previous owner".  As long as deals are straight and honest both for the purchase and sale then it's fair game in my book. 

I also think guys who "flip" can actually be a positive in the sense that they will keep the market moving, I know I have sold a few items I may have struggled to sell had the buyer not been confident of turning a profit. Yes they can be a pest with low ball offers but here's the trick... don't get wound up by them and if they are to low for you don't accept them. If you feel aggrieved to see them asking a higher price than you sold it for try doing the same deal with Guitar Guitar and the like then you will really feel ripped off.

There are good guys and bad guys to deal with regardless of their intentions in the market.
    This 100% ...
    I usually make a small loss selling on guitars... I take as the fee for having 'tried' the instrument ... and if I ever make a profit it shocks me slightly. Usually I buy pretty wisely, and if I sell, then it's entirely up to the person who buys the instrument if they filp it or not ... it's their property at that point after all. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Same link twice, Lord Seven. 
    Sorted!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Same link twice, Lord Seven. 
    Sorted!
    Erm, that's not flipping, Harry.
    That's business.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis