Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Flipping

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Ok. Well, I wasn't expecting that level of response.

Mixed reaction, fair to say.

As regards the sour grapes allegation, I'd refer back to my original post. It felt odd. That was all. No intention to name the guy.

Each to their own with this. But I can understand why the admins get miffed at using the classifieds that way.

Worse thing for me was that in addition to bumping the price up, he'd nicked the proper case for his other CS guitar so the buyer wouldn't even get the proper case. It did also occur to me that he might not quite have been 'maxed out' at the price he gave me if he could then go and buy another similar guitar soon after.

Still for sale if anyone is looking for a terribly overpriced CS Strat...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fishboy7 said:
    I'm curious to know what guitar. Was it the cs tele?

@Fishboy7 ;it wasn't the CS Custom Deluxe Tele recently sold by @Hattigol ;;; as I bought that and it's still with me.

I'll do a NGD thread soon - I've finally found a lightweight tele where it's easy to tweak the truss rod after owning so many CS and a real 60's one in the past - also I've been looking for one with a belly cut and forearm contour for a long time so I have no plans to sell it. 

Also I bought it through EBay - not on here - I joined here as we were negotiating the sale, in case Hattigol wanted any recommendations from members - I used to be an active member of the Music Radar forum and have traded with / met well known members in the past.

Dealing with @not_neville was an absolute pleasure and an example, to me anyway, of the way that sales should be conducted between FBers. Thanks buddy. Glad you're enjoying it.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9546
    edited September 2018
    @Hattigol - I completely understand your uneasy feeling about it all mate...

But as you know, there are some really good folk on here too :)

For me personally, and this is only my ‘world map’, I won’t stroke, lie, deceive or profit from anyone on here (except @Gassage maybe, as he’s tough and mon enough to take it)

Its quite easy I think;

i.) try to treat people right

ii.) make amends when you do mess up (as we all surely do)

iii.) give an honest appraisal of things - especially when you are selling 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    leerocker said:

I think a few people on here will attest that i am certainly not a dealer and an absolute gear head who loses more money on gear than anyone on this forum,

I am the idiot that goes and buys nearly everything new from a shop then passes on the savings to fellow fretboarders on here!

Lee
    I can vouch for @leerocker ; in this regard - we've traded gear between ourselves and my impression is gear head not generally a bedroom trading flipper IME.

Me too, not in the least.............lovely guy ALWAYS turns up when he says and pays what's been agreed.I know he's not a trader and also that he is a terribly fickle buyer ,tester and seller...........he spent fortunes with Peach last year and sold it all at considerable losses such is his own impatience and over-eagerness.
     He's never given me any kind of sob story .
    He's also a very good Rockabilly player ..........(there had to be something wrong with him )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Im late to the party here and I cant be bothered to read through all the comments but 3 pages in and I feel like adding my two cents. 

Firstly I personally would have taken my own amp to try the guitar, then and there you could tell whether its right for you initially, And if you realise after a few days it's not for you Id probably message the seller saying politely Its really not for me would you be willing to take it back for what i bought it otherwise I will sell it on (obviously if this was bought on ebay then different store but i see the FB as a bit more of a community). That way at least the previous owner knows the score and they have no come back. They have a chance to have it back and if they don't want it then it's fair game for the new owner to do with it whatever he wants.  

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Im late to the party here and I cant be bothered to read through all the comments but 3 pages in and I feel like adding my two cents. 

Firstly I personally would have taken my own amp to try the guitar, then and there you could tell whether its right for you initially, And if you realise after a few days it's not for you Id probably message the seller saying politely Its really not for me would you be willing to take it back for what i bought it otherwise I will sell it on (obviously if this was bought on ebay then different store but i see the FB as a bit more of a community). That way at least the previous owner knows the score and they have no come back. They have a chance to have it back and if they don't want it then it's fair game for the new owner to do with it whatever he wants.  

It's fair game for the new owner to do with it whatever he wants as soon as he's paid for it, why would you need the previous owner to know anything about your plans?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76 said:
    Im late to the party here and I cant be bothered to read through all the comments but 3 pages in and I feel like adding my two cents. 

It's fair game for the new owner to do with it whatever he wants as soon as he's paid for it, why would you need the previous owner to know anything about your plans?
    I agree but I think when you've obviously benefitted from 'mates rates' on here then if it's not for you it would be polite to offer it back to the original seller before selling it on.

In effect you've got 2 different markets, the Fretboard market and the rest. People shift stuff on here to fellow enthusiasts within the community at 'Fretboard prices' and in my case hoping that I generate enough good Karma that when its my turn to buy I get a good deal from someone I've dealt with before.

if you've got someone continually taking out of the community without putting anything back in then that's a cause for concern imho.

If I get something for a bargain on here and decide it's not for me (pretty commonplace) I usually 1. Message the seller, let them know and offer it back first.  2. Put it up on the Fretboard and ideally the price I paid although more recently I've had to add a bit as no one seems to want to pay the sticker price nowadays no matter how cheap !  Finally 3. If it doesn't go on here I put it on EBay/Gumtree/Reverb etc at a higher price.

I don't think that's too much to ask tbh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree but I think when you've obviously benefitted from 'mates rates' on here then if it's not for you it would be polite to offer it back to the original seller before selling it on.

In effect you've got 2 different markets, the Fretboard market and the rest. People shift stuff on here to fellow enthusiasts within the community at 'Fretboard prices' and in my case hoping that I generate enough good Karma that when its my turn to buy I get a good deal from someone I've dealt with before.

if you've got someone continually taking out of the community without putting anything back in then that's a cause for concern imho.

If I get something for a bargain on here and decide it's not for me (pretty commonplace) I usually 1. Message the seller, let them know and offer it back first.  2. Put it up on the Fretboard and ideally the price I paid although more recently I've had to add a bit as no one seems to want to pay the sticker price nowadays no matter how cheap !  Finally 3. If it doesn't go on here I put it on EBay/Gumtree/Reverb etc at a higher price.

May I interest Sir in a Feline Tabby..? :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • JerkMoans said:
    I agree but I think when you've obviously benefitted from 'mates rates' on here then if it's not for you it would be polite to offer it back to the original seller before selling it on.

May I interest Sir in a Feline Tabby..? :D
    Hahahaha, as soon as I typed that I had a feeling you'd be on :-)

Funnily enough I may be shifting the 1970 Jazzmaster on too as I have something a bit nice in my sights which would mean selling the JM or the Thinline to cover it.

Nowt more fickle than a bedroom widdler.

• Hahahaha, as soon as I typed that I had a feeling you'd be on :-)

Funnily enough I may be shifting the 1970 Jazzmaster on too as I have something a bit nice in my sights which would mean selling the JM or the Thinline to cover it.

Nowt more fickle than a bedroom widdler.

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  •  wisdom for @DrCornelius ;
    probably said it better than my threats of guitar knob rash. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
     wisdom for @DrCornelius ;
    probably said it better than my threats of guitar knob rash. 
    100%!!!

But we all benefited from your diversity ;)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12372
    What an interesting thread.  I buy and sell from here but mostly only pedals, I have advertised amps and guitars on here but also put on gumtree at the same time and nearly always sell quickly through gumtree.

I personally wouldn't buy to sell but if I sold it to someone on here its their's and I wouldn't have any issue with what they did with it.  If they said could they buy it cheap because it was for their kid or something and then flogged it straight away then I would make a note to not listen to their stories again possibly.

I couldn't decide in a few days a guitar wasn't for me I don't think and I would possibly offer it back, but not if it involved me then driving a long way to do the deal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2199
    Found it. Nice guitar. 

Its £1,875 or best offer, which doesn't seem way off as an opening gambit.  He might get £1,650, clearing about £1,500 after fees so unlikely to make much profit. Plus the hassle/risk of posting the guitar.

Doesn't look like a bedroom trader / dealer so maybe it was just a change of heart? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fishboy7 said:
    Found it. Nice guitar. 

Its £1,875 or best offer, which doesn't seem way off as an opening gambit.  He might get £1,650, clearing about £1,500 after fees so unlikely to make much profit. Plus the hassle/risk of posting the guitar.

Doesn't look like a bedroom trader / dealer so maybe it was just a change of heart? 

It's a £1 listing so PayPal fees only.
    Lovely guitar is right. The prices for used CS Strats seem very low to me at the moment so I don't think he'll get near that for it...
  • Hattigol said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    Found it. Nice guitar. 

Lovely guitar is right. The prices for used CS Strats seem very low to me at the moment so I don't think he'll get near that for it...
    He has also swapped the case so he will probably sell the CS case separately to add to his profit... but he has to sell it first and that is no easy task.

From my experience the CS strats with the non vintage tuners and headstock truss rod access do not sell for as much as the more vintage accurate ones. How long did it take the OP to sell?
  • So, basically not worth moaning about? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Also isnt there a feedback system on here so you can leave comments and opinions on transaction through the classifieds? I am sure i have something about this before. If so then leaving appropriate feedback should weed out the ones who are not "real" FBers. If we all used this feature and checked up on it before selling (like you can do on the bay) then sneaky deals can be a thing of the past  :)
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited September 2018
    Hattigol said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    Found it. Nice guitar. 

He has also swapped the case so he will probably sell the CS case separately to add to his profit... but he has to sell it first and that is no easy task.

From my experience the CS strats with the non vintage tuners and headstock truss rod access do not sell for as much as the more vintage accurate ones. How long did it take the OP to sell?
    Spotted on eBay. If that’s what the fuss was about I think the OPs £350 is safe. In fact this guy might even make a loss. Lack of the original case will probably drop the £350 in its own right.

Beyond that, while I’m sure it’s a nice guitar for someone who likes the spec, I agree it isn’t a particularly desirable custom shop model for most folks. Basically a custom shop American standard, even down to the modern c neck but with locking tuners and bog standard fender noiseless pickups. The birds eye neck alone puts me off but that’s subjective.

In the interests of FB karma, I think @Hattigol is morally bound to give some of this guys cash back to help soften the blow when it sells at a loss.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Also isnt there a feedback system on here so you can leave comments and opinions on transaction through the classifieds? I am sure i have something about this before. If so then leaving appropriate feedback should weed out the ones who are not "real" FBers. If we all used this feature and checked up on it before selling (like you can do on the bay) then sneaky deals can be a thing of the past  :)
    The OP offered a guitar for money, money was offered, money was accepted, guitar is sold. The only appropriate feedback should be positive, the buyer did not use counterfeit money or blackmail, at point of sale the buyer did nothing wrong, to give the buyer any negative reviews on his profile would be dishonest and pretty poor form.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom