The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    There's a deal on at bjjfanatics at the moment- order a video by Bernardo Faria & put in the code FARIAFREE at checkout- you get $77 off. 
    I got the Fundamentals of BJJ one free. 
    Yeah my coach just mentioned this today. Will have to check it out. How do you get the access?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just put what you want into the basket & enter the code in the appropriate box. 
  • What's the situation at your gyms? 
    We're training, but not allowing "drop ins". Trusted members only until further notice. I don't know how much longer we'll have though. 
    Got the videos many thanks. 

Yeah at the moment all kids classes are cancelled, drop ins and new students on hold until further notice and only trusted full time members can attend. 
    We are all using sanitizer on entry and exit and the mats are getting bleached after every class. 

I’m dreading being told it’s closed when it does happen. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Still open at the moment but I suspect we will close for a period of time. 

One of the Pompey players who played against Arsenal in the cup trains at out gym, he tested negative. He was there Saturday morning despite all Pompey games being off until April. 
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 228
    Mine is closed "for the week" but I expect the closure to continue. A shame as I'm on enforced WFH from tomorrow but clearly can't fault the logic. 
    And jus like that. 
    Mines just closed. Main two instructors either work in a hospital or partner does so they’ve closed it for t he next few weeks. 
    Glad I have those training films to watch now. 
    The UK BJJ Association has just put out a statement saying they expect the tournaments to be cancelled and most gyms to close at some point. 
  • All the clubs in Edinburgh seem to have closed now (possibly except Rick Young’s- I think they’re assessing it day by day). 
    Running, stretching, bodyweight exercises are the order of the day! 

John Danaher has released a special video series for folk training in isolation- it’s free! 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15614
    may seem an odd time to ask this, but I fancy getting back into MA's, did a bunch of stuff through the 80's and till the mid 90's (full contact karate, but of jujitsu, there wasn't such a thing back then as MMA). I fancy something like Muay Thai or similar, but was wondering how suitable this is for the, erm, more mature gentleman. I'm 50, but am still pretty fit (physical job plus I do HIIT and bodyweight stuff). Not really interested in competing, just the training. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

All the clubs in Edinburgh seem to have closed now (possibly except Rick Young’s- I think they’re assessing it day by day). 
    Running, stretching, bodyweight exercises are the order of the day! 

John Danaher has released a special video series for folk training in isolation- it’s free! 

My gym has just closed as of tonight. Back on the yoga every day for me. 

VimFuego said:
    may seem an odd time to ask this, but I fancy getting back into MA's, did a bunch of stuff through the 80's and till the mid 90's (full contact karate, but of jujitsu, there wasn't such a thing back then as MMA). I fancy something like Muay Thai or similar, but was wondering how suitable this is for the, erm, more mature gentleman. I'm 50, but am still pretty fit (physical job plus I do HIIT and bodyweight stuff). Not really interested in competing, just the training. 

I'm 50 in June and loving BJJ. I can complete with 20 and 30 year olds fairly comfortably. 
  • Not strange at all. Muay Thai is an incredible workout, even the training is hard! I really enjoyed it until I got my bell rung in “light” sparring & had a 3 day headache concussion... that was when I decided to stop, 

i now focus on BJJ- it seems easier on my body (I’m nearly 40). As Fuengi said, by being sneaky and employing good technique I can handle opponents much younger/bigger/stronger than I am. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15614
    thanks guys, good to know

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

I’m 42, I’ve done kickboxing in the past and now solely do BJJ. For a sport/art that primarily about hyperextending joints in the wrong direction it’s surprisingly easy on the body. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2431
    edited March 2020
    Have to say, I'm not impressed with my club's approach to the Coronavirus pandemic.

While my girlfriend's Taekwondo group (who are admittedly MUCH bigger, and run as a business) are now doing Facebook live lessons and exercises etc., my JJ club is still doing full contact practicing. Same with the judo club.

Needless to say, I won't be going while this situation carries on.

Real shame, as I was just getting the hang of the trickier stuff for my next grading; and I can't practice on my Mrs as she's got a damaged neck etc. I'm thinking if I go in to Tesco and loudly claim I have all the bog roll and sanitisers, that would give me a good practice situation....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2416
    Our academy decided to refrain from full contact and focus on form and footwork instead. However, the premises where it is held occupies various social events and has understandably decided to close for the foreseeable. I've just completed a grading last Monday, so a justified break is very welcome.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2431
    FarleyUK said:
    Have to say, I'm not impressed with my club's approach to the Coronavirus pandemic.

While my girlfriend's Taekwondo group (who are admittedly MUCH bigger, and run as a business) are now doing Facebook live lessons and exercises etc., my JJ club is still doing full contact practicing. Same with the judo club.

Needless to say, I won't be going while this situation carries on.

Real shame, as I was just getting the hang of the trickier stuff for my next grading; and I can't practice on my Mrs as she's got a damaged neck etc. I'm thinking if I go in to Tesco and loudly claim I have all the bog roll and sanitisers, that would give me a good practice situation....
    Update - after my 'suggestion', the senseis have agreed and will be making all videos and instructional information available to all students, up to their grade. They'll also be producing videos for the weapons katas.

Hooray!
  • 2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    My daughter’s karate club will be continuing lessons at home using zoom. It’s working pretty well. Obviously it can only focus on fundamental technique and kata rather than kumite. 

Technology when used right is great.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    I've been told that BJJ is back in Ireland as of July. 

Fingers crossed that England will follow soon.