The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    The opening of all high street shops certainly indicates things are moving in the right direction but I can’t see gyms / dojo’s/ academies open till the back end of August. 
    I do miss trying to pull peoples limbs off though and I definitely miss the cardio workout. I’m sure it’s gonna suck going back in that respect. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    grungebob said:
    The opening of all high street shops certainly indicates things are moving in the right direction but I can’t see gyms / dojo’s/ academies open till the back end of August. 
    I do miss trying to pull peoples limbs off though and I definitely miss the cardio workout. I’m sure it’s gonna suck going back in that respect. 

Cardio is going to be an issue. I've been doing plenty of shrimps and bridges to keep the core engaged but there is nothing like rolling.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Got my BJJ Blue Belt last week. Apparently he was due to give it to me a couple of weeks before lockdown but it never happened. We've been back in tiny pods doing some drills and whatever else we can for the past couple of weeks. Great just to be back on the mats moving again, even better wearing blue.  =)
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2440
    Our JJJ club was supposed to be doing some outside exercises this Saturday, but again, the sensei hasn't bothered to organise anything. Kind of frustrating as like you guys, I'm not looking forward to the cardio hit when I go back....!
    @Fuengi awesome mate, welcome to the club ;) 
    now you get to double worry, will my cardio hold up and will I get tapped first roll by a white belt lol. 
    Congrats. 
    grungebob said:
    now you get to double worry, will my cardio hold up and will I get tapped first roll by a white belt lol. 
    Congrats. 
    Cheers @grungebob both those are inevitable! 
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    Congrats. 
    Cheers @grungebob both those are inevitable! 
    Well for the first roll, keep your enemies close and your elbows closer :)
    How's it going chaps? Managing to do any drills or rolling in your clubs? 
    There’s one rule about fight club......
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 228
    My place only does solo drills unless you live with your partner. Everyone trains in their own taped off box. Our Prof, who turns out to have a bigger guitar collection than me, is pretty conservative about this stuff. If you have a cough or cold symptoms you're asked not to train but he offers you a free Zoom session to tide you over. I'm very appreciative of his efforts 
    grungebob said:
    There’s one rule about fight club......
     ;) 

We've had to split the 2 hour session into halves - one is for kata and weapons drills, the other is focusing on solo fitness etc.

Actually been pretty good so far - I'm reaching my level 1 Ko Budo weapons grade (katana, nunchuck, bo, sai and tonfa).
    FarleyUK said:
    We've had to split the 2 hour session into halves - one is for kata and weapons drills, the other is focusing on solo fitness etc.

Actually been pretty good so far - I'm reaching my level 1 Ko Budo weapons grade (katana, nunchuck, bo, sai and tonfa).
    Does it strike anyone else as ironic that a weapons training class is being disputed because of the risk of Covid?  :o
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Fuengi said:
    FarleyUK said:

Does it strike anyone else as ironic that a weapons training class is being disputed because of the risk of Covid?  :o
    Well my chances of training in Filipino stick and knife fighting and Panantukan (dirty boxing) were scuppered because the teacher has closed his academy and stopped all personal sessions due to Covid. I would have thought distancing would have been at the forefront with someone coming at you with a Rattan stick and long dagger!  :)
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    zepp76 said:
    Fuengi said:
    FarleyUK said:

Well my chances of training in Filipino stick and knife fighting and Panantukan (dirty boxing) were scuppered because the teacher has closed his academy and stopped all personal sessions due to Covid. I would have thought distancing would have been at the forefront with someone coming at you with a Rattan stick and long dagger!  :)
    Well, you can't be too careful right?  =)
    Fuengi said:
    zepp76 said:
    Fuengi said:
    FarleyUK said:

Well, you can't be too careful right?  =)
    Splinters?
  • anyone on here doing anything other than BJJ?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    anyone on here doing anything other than BJJ?
    Mine's traditional Japanese JJ, if that counts....
  • FarleyUK said:
    Mine's traditional Japanese JJ, if that counts....
    I was looking more down the striking route.
    Crazy to see how popular bjj is. When I used to go 10 years ago hardly anyone knew what it was
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I’ve done some judo and kickboxing in the past.