The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    FarleyUK said:
    anyone on here doing anything other than BJJ?
    Mine's traditional Japanese JJ, if that counts....
    I was looking more down the striking route.
    Crazy to see how popular bjj is. When I used to go 10 years ago hardly anyone knew what it was
    Lots of the guys I train BJJ with come from striking background. Kickboxing, Thai Boxing etc and we've had a couple of high level Judoca start to train, they definitely have an advantage when they start to train compared to guys like me who only did a bit of boxing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've got a golden opportunity to watch some fights next Saturday as the Mrs is away and I've got the place to myself. However, I don't have BT Sport. 

I know it's a PPV but would happily pay, how would I go about watching it? 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    Is it bt sport box office? If so you can buy online and cast it for your phone to your smart TVs etc? Or there’s normally a few streams out there but the drop out pisses me off enough to pay the £20
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    grungebob said:
    Is it bt sport box office? If so you can buy online and cast it for your phone to your smart TVs etc? Or there’s normally a few streams out there but the drop out pisses me off enough to pay the £20
    Cheers. I'll have a look at the BT app. 
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    If using a laptop etc just go their website but if you want to cast it to tv you’ll need the BTSport  box office app. You need to go online to pay for it and set up an account first. Then just sign in to the app. 
    Seeing as the prelims are early too it might be worth taking out the fight pass 7 day trial also?
    grungebob said:
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    If using a laptop etc just go their website but if you want to cast it to tv you’ll need the BTSport  box office app. You need to go online to pay for it and set up an account first. Then just sign in to the app. 
    Seeing as the prelims are early too it might be worth taking out the fight pass 7 day trial also?
    What time does it start? 
    @Fuengi main card is 7pm prelims would be around 4pm I’d think. 
    grungebob said:
    Oh sweet Jesus, Saturday could be golden. I've got some mates coming around Saturday afternoon to play guitars then straight into the MMA. 
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    Oh sweet Jesus, Saturday could be golden. I've got some mates coming around Saturday afternoon to play guitars then straight into the MMA. 
    Sounds like a fun afternoon 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10272

Me!

I done Jeet Kune Do from the age of 14-19 then took up Wing Chun from the age of 21 due to no JKD clubs in my area after I moved. I done this for about 5 years and stopped due to work shift patterns getting in the way of the club times. 

My friend convinced me to come to a boxing session with him and while I was hesitant about its value when compared to the somewhat flashy, artistic nature of the Chinese Gung Fu, after two sessions I was hooked. 

In 10 years of Chinese combat styles I had never sparred properly. Never actually taken a sustained pummelling. This is a huge problem! While you can be an extremely good martial artist unless you are conditioned psychologically to take a punch, know what it feels like, get taught how to get hit and not fall apart, when the time comes to defend yourself you may not be as good as you thought you were. 

The realisation that actually, 10 years of sparring the way they did was useless was very apparent when in my first sparring session I was literally getting taken a part by a boxer who had been doing it for a year. This was because I was never taught how to be composed and to respond while taking real shots. 

I'm a heavyweight so I've had to learn how to take punches and not fall apart, and after a couple of years of boxing I'm doing quite well. 

COVID has changed things but I've been focusing on my fitness and form much more. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Me!

I done Jeet Kune Do from the age of 14-19 then took up Wing Chun from the age of 21 due to no JKD clubs in my area after I moved. I done this for about 5 years and stopped due to work shift patterns getting in the way of the club times. 

My friend convinced me to come to a boxing session with him and while I was hesitant about its value when compared to the somewhat flashy, artistic nature of the Chinese Gung Fu, after two sessions I was hooked. 

In 10 years of Chinese combat styles I had never sparred properly. Never actually taken a sustained pummelling. This is a huge problem! While you can be an extremely good martial artist unless you are conditioned psychologically to take a punch, know what it feels like, get taught how to get hit and not fall apart, when the time comes to defend yourself you may not be as good as you thought you were. 

The realisation that actually, 10 years of sparring the way they did was useless was very apparent when in my first sparring session I was literally getting taken a part by a boxer who had been doing it for a year. This was because I was never taught how to be composed and to respond while taking real shots. 

I'm a heavyweight so I've had to learn how to take punches and not fall apart, and after a couple of years of boxing I'm doing quite well. 

COVID has changed things but I've been focusing on my fitness and form much more. 

That's really interesting and honest. 

After I stopped boxing I played outside 5-a-side for a few years. Whenever I got hit in the face with the ball I wouldn't stop or even show that it hurt. No hands to face, just carry on as if nothing had happened. I can think of four times I wore a significant blow, once I got hit so hard everyone else stopped but I just ran after the ball. 

Whenever it hit anyone else they would stop and double over holding their face. Silently I always thought "what a wuss". 

I suppose it was just my being accustomed to getting hit a lot. Never considered it particularly useful in itself but perhaps it is. Tyson always said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face".

Good to hear the boxing is going well, it's an absolute art when done right. 
  • I always thought blocking shots with your face was a right of passage when I used to do kick boxing and boxing. 
    Totally right about learning composure when striking, especially when you are being hit and also how to relax and be fluid, not telegraph your strikes and be patient etc.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • How's everyone doing? 
    It's been a LONG time since I got sweaty while rubbing up against someone else (married 15 years, but no BJJ either).

My gym is doing non-contact sessions, it's nice to see people but it doesn't feel like BJJ. We're all trying to get fit again for that glorious day when we can start strangling each other!
    We had hoped things could get back to normal this week, but with the postponement of easing it's looking like mid July at best.

The first rule about fight club is……….

ive seen lots of clubs open as “normal” without repercussion quite overtly too. 
    My club has been open for kids for a bit and I’m off back tonight for some fitness sessions. 
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 463
    I’ve been toying with the idea of starting BJJ for a while and have found somewhere that has a good reputation… it really appeals in terms of improving my fitness / shaking up my routine and also my 8 year old is also interested, so it would be a great thing for us to do together.

My only concern is injuries - generally and in particular hand / finger injuries that could affect my guitar playing.  I’ve always been really careful in terms of warming up / form when weight training and never had any injuries… how do you guys cope with this and what are your experiences? 
  • grungebob said:
    The first rule about fight club is……….

ive seen lots of clubs open as “normal” without repercussion quite overtly too. 
    My club has been open for kids for a bit and I’m off back tonight for some fitness sessions. 
    Yes- that's pretty close to my experience. I've been surprised by how blatant some local clubs have been in returning to a "business as usual" approach.

My kids are getting lots of mat time & are loving it. 
    cm01 said:
    I’ve been toying with the idea of starting BJJ for a while and have found somewhere that has a good reputation… it really appeals in terms of improving my fitness / shaking up my routine and also my 8 year old is also interested, so it would be a great thing for us to do together.

My only concern is injuries - generally and in particular hand / finger injuries that could affect my guitar playing.  I’ve always been really careful in terms of warming up / form when weight training and never had any injuries… how do you guys cope with this and what are your experiences? 
    Just do it. Give it a go and if you like it then great but if not, no harm done. 

Hand injuries aren’t as common as say toe injuries, you’ll notice doubt break a toe at some point in BJJ but hands not so much. 
    Saying that I did tear the tendons in my left thumb but that’s because I didn’t take on board advice from the coach on how to guard my hands when rolling. Lesson learnt all on now and I always, always guard my hands now. 
    It’s fun, is immensely practical and you’ll meet some great people (and a few dicks). 

• cm01 said:

BJJ is a great sport & having made the transition from nogi to gi I'm finding it a whole new challenge. The gi, whilst putting pressure on my grip strength seems to slow the game down and make it less frenetic. I'm hopeful that this will limit the number of "big" injuries I get & so prolong my training. 

I tape my fingers to support the joints but so long as you grip carefully I think it's OK. That said, I'm a bassist, so only really need one working finger on each hand! ;-)
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2436
    Our JJJ club has been going through most of the lockdown, but we're only doing some fitness and weapons kata. Personally, I'm finding it rather dull and boring. I know they're doing all they can, but there's only so many times I want to do a bo kata.

I've also started up kickboxing personal training - so not a formal structure, but the guy teaching me holds black belts in kickboxing, BJJ and a few others, and competes in MMA. I'm only doing it for fitness and learning how to punch and kick correctly, but it's good fun so far.
    All good. It will be great to get back to full numbers again soon.