Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Liam Neeson

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7010
    blueskunk said:
    Let’s face it, the daft twat is an actor and about as “hard” as butter. He should have acted on his thoughts, he would have got pasted lol 
    He’s 6’4” and was Northern Ireland Amateur Boxing Champion before going into acting.  I don’t think it would have ended well for the other guy.

However, he didn’t act on his thoughts and expressed horror and shame for what he’d been contemplating.  And that’s what so many people are missing, preferring instead the tabloidesque ‘LIAM NEESON’S RACIST MURDER PLOT’ angle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26600
    edited February 2019
    1 - How can you possibly know that people who are outraged by him aren’t actively working to eradicate racism? Some of them will be doing exactly that. It’s an odd argument.

2 - Nothing good was ever going to come out of him making a revalation like that. If anything, it’s more likely to have the reverse effect - reinforcing stereotypes about black men wanting to rape white women. 

3 - As for your argument that calling him out stops everyone with a racist mindset from ‘having a moment of introspection’, well that’s just frankly bizarre.

1 - Look at the evidence. The story isn't about how he's trying to say that we all need to do better because it's too easy to do stupid things in reaction. It's about how he's racist, despite the entire point of what he was trying to say. Not just one story/article/post either. Thousands of them. Including yours.

2 - Only because you're too blinkered to see what he was trying to do. Blinded by your own prejudice, in fact, as shown by everything you've said so far in this thread - you've stacked assumption upon assumption and rejected any evidence or logic to the contrary. Because he's white, and he's currently rich.

3 - You can't understand it, because you're wilfully avoiding your own little moment of introspection there, so you can continue to see what you want to see.

@ digitalscream - to answer your subsequent point, I never once said he’s evil. He’s privileged in the sense that I can almost guarantee that he will have never, in his whole life, have experienced racism because of the colour of his skin. Just like the people commenting here who don’t see what the problem is. Of course it’s not a problem to you, because it’s not something you will ever have to worry about. So I call bullshit on your pathetic attempt to defend him.
    Again - you're imagining racism as the worst that can possibly happen. Imagining, because you've probably never experienced it either. Now try imagining what it's like to grow up surrounded by people who mostly think you're the worst kind of person ever (not because of anything you've said or done, but because of your parents' religion which you don't fully understand yet), a significant number of whom think the world would be better off if you were dead. Oh, and loads of people around you are being killed for the same reason that people hate you.

Exactly how is that not worse than racism to a child? Can you even countenance the effect that might have on somebody's worldview?

If he was black, though, would it have made a difference? Would it have been somehow more acceptable if he was a black dude going around stalking other black dudes with a blunt instrument? What about if he was Indian? Japanese? Would you have a different perspective on it if all other parts of the story were the same?

If you can't see the nonsense that reveals in your statements, then....ah, who am I trying to kid? You're probably a middle-aged white privileged white guy on a forum. Your opinion means nothing.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12372
    @ digitalscream - to answer your subsequent point, I never once said he’s evil. He’s privileged in the sense that I can almost guarantee that he will have never, in his whole life, have experienced racism because of the colour of his skin. Just like the people commenting here who don’t see what the problem is. Of course it’s not a problem to you, because it’s not something you will ever have to worry about. So I call bullshit on your pathetic attempt to defend him.
    Errr, he’s Irish. I can almost guarantee he has experienced racism. It was everyday stuff in the 60s and 70s, how many “Paddy” jokes did you hear on tv in that era? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Interesting fact - I’m white and have experienced racism.

At university I walked into a reading room at the library, which was full of Malaysians at that particular time having a get together (unofficially - They hadn’t booked it or anything).

Two of them came up to me and said “you’d best leave - we don’t want your type in here.”

I assumed they weren’t talking about the fact I went in there to read a history text.. I reported it to the university and they rather usefully “sent someone to have a word”. I heard nothing else on the matter.
    They just didn't like Bassists?
    No, actually it was quite serious. 

Quite a few people I knew had experienced it, and on one occasion violence was involved. 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't recall the same level of outrage on here when an actual Racist Black Rapper said disgusting things about the Irish.

What was it now....er "Inbred, Ugly Leprechauns" and asking them "Don't you have a Famine to go die in?"

Imagine my shock!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • 1 - How can you possibly know that people who are outraged by him aren’t actively working to eradicate racism? Some of them will be doing exactly that. It’s an odd argument.

2 - Nothing good was ever going to come out of him making a revalation like that. If anything, it’s more likely to have the reverse effect - reinforcing stereotypes about black men wanting to rape white women. 

3 - As for your argument that calling him out stops everyone with a racist mindset from ‘having a moment of introspection’, well that’s just frankly bizarre.

1 - Look at the evidence. The story isn't about how he's trying to say that we all need to do better because it's too easy to do stupid things in reaction. It's about how he's racist, despite the entire point of what he was trying to say. Not just one story/article/post either. Thousands of them. Including yours.

2 - Only because you're too blinkered to see what he was trying to do. Blinded by your own prejudice, in fact, as shown by everything you've said so far in this thread - you've stacked assumption upon assumption and rejected any evidence or logic to the contrary.

3 - You can't understand it, because you're wilfully avoiding your own little moment of introspection there, so you can continue to see what you want to see.

Again - you're imagining racism as the worst that can possibly happen. Imagining, because you've probably never experienced it either. Now try imagining what it's like to grow up surrounded by people who mostly think you're the worst kind of person ever (not because of anything you've said or done, but because of your parents' religion which you don't fully understand yet), a significant number of whom think the world would be better off if you were dead. Oh, and loads of people around you are being killed for the same reason that people hate you.

Exactly how is that not worse than racism to a child? Can you even countenance the effect that might have on somebody's worldview?

If he was black, though, would it have made a difference? Would it have been somehow more acceptable if he was a black dude going around stalking other black dudes with a blunt instrument? What about if he was Indian? Japanese? Would you have a different perspective on it if all other parts of the story were the same?

If you can't see the nonsense that reveals in your statements, then....ah, who am I trying to kid? You're probably a middle-aged white privileged white guy on a forum. Your opinion means nothing.
    1. I said what he said was racist - looking for a random black man to attack. Where did I say he is a racist now?

2. There is a conversation to be had about racism, when done in the right way.  I’d suggest the way he did it, when promoting his new film, which he will benefit from economically, was not appropriate. Now you’re the one making assumptions because you’ve assumed because I’m criticising what he said that I think he should be strung up.

3. I could make exactly the same point about you, for the reason I just stated. You’re on your “mob rule” soapbox so you fail to see that perhaps the reason there is a general outrage is because what he said was outrageous. Yes sometimes the mob is right.

Dismissing my views as ‘nonsense’ just because you disagree with them reveals you to be just as intolerant as the people you take so much pleasure in criticising. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    Errr, he’s Irish. I can almost guarantee he has experienced racism. It was everyday stuff in the 60s and 70s, how many “Paddy” jokes did you hear on tv in that era? 
    You conveniently missed the part where I said “because of the colour of his skin”.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I don't recall the same level of outrage on here when an actual Racist Black Rapper said disgusting things about the Irish.

What was it now....er "Inbred, Ugly Leprechauns" and asking them "Don't you have a Famine to go die in?"

Imagine my shock!
    Whataboutism alert.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I don't recall the same level of outrage on here when an actual Racist Black Rapper said disgusting things about the Irish.

Imagine my shock!
    That's because the Irish benefit from white privilege and don't understand what it's like to be oppressed.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Imagine my shock!
    Whataboutism alert.
    And Voila! I could have guaranteed someone was gonna come up with that word and guessed it would likely be you.

Erm...Whataboutism, oh yeah, that's the made up word that Twats use, usually people on the Left, they use it to shut down debate.

For Whataboutism read "Comparison". There is nothing wrong with using comparison in debate, especially when it's valid and mine is valid. Same subject, just looking at it from a different angle.

Whataboutism is not a thing! You'll have to move on and make up another word, that one has been rumbled.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Can we just have a simple rule to love by, if you aren't part of the group who should be offended by something then don't be offended.

I'm sick of white people getting offended for black people, men getting offended for women etc etc

Always brings me back to a day I was looking around a kind of second hand/antique shop. While in there looking there was a mother and (I assume) her child looking too, they were both mixed race. 

So they were looking through the junk and came across a stuffed gollywog, and the child asked the mother what it was, and straight away she answered "it's something white people think is racist". 

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited February 2019
    Maynehead said:
    And from which bodily orifice did you pull that assumption out of?
    The same one you used to make that inane co,ment.

Correct, I have a stash of them tucked up in there, I like to save them for the special occasions when a comment really deserves it.

Your comment was such a nugget. It was so wrong on so many levels that it would be nigh on futile to attempt a sincere response.

However, for what it's worth, I can categorically say that the part highlighted above is plain false.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Imagine my shock!
    Whataboutism alert.
    And Voila! I could have guaranteed someone was gonna come up with that word and guessed it would likely be you.

Erm...Whataboutism, oh yeah, that's the made up word that Twats use, usually people on the Left, they use it to shut down debate.

For Whataboutism read "Comparison". There is nothing wrong with using comparison in debate, especially when it's valid and mine is valid. Same subject, just looking at it from a different angle.

Whataboutism is not a thing! You'll have to move on and make up another word, that one has been rumbled.
     No it’s called trying to divert the argument, usually used by right wing cunts, to justify the unjustifiable.

For the record the example you gave was also disgusting although the comments were so stupid as to almost not be worth not paying attention to. Neeson was talking about murdering someone and as such the greater reaction is justified. So your ‘comparison’ didn’t really work.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    Can we just have a simple rule to love by, if you aren't part of the group who should be offended by something then don't be offended.

I'm sick of white people getting offended for black people, men getting offended for women etc etc

Always brings me back to a day I was looking around a kind of second hand/antique shop. While in there looking there was a mother and (I assume) her child looking too, they were both mixed race. 

So they were looking through the junk and came across a stuffed gollywog, and the child asked the mother what it was, and straight away she answered "it's something white people think is racist". 

I agree with that from a practical everyday standpoint, but if you look back at the significant gains that have been made in equality over history they couldn't have happened without the average person in the street becoming intolerant of the status quo. SJW's imagine they are part of that sea change when actually if you take a look at where we are now compared to 100, 50 or even 20 years ago you can see that the social trajectory we are on is pretty much towards increased tolerance anyway.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Maynehead said:
    Maynehead said:

Correct, I have a stash of them tucked up in there, I like to save them for the special occasions when a comment really deserves it.

Your comment was such a nugget. It was so wrong on so many levels that it would be nigh on futile to attempt a sincere response.

However, for what it's worth, I can categorically say that the part highlighted above is plain false.

Okay this should be good. Are you trying to claim that the vast majority of people who are active on this forum aren’t white, middle aged men?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfamps said:
    I don't recall the same level of outrage on here when an actual Racist Black Rapper said disgusting things about the Irish.

Imagine my shock!
    That's because the Irish benefit from white privilege and don't understand what it's like to be oppressed.
    Are you actually fucking serious? I best go away and Check My Privilege then.
  • Maynehead said:
    Maynehead said:

Okay this should be good. Are you trying to claim that the vast majority of people who are active on this forum aren’t white, middle aged men?
    The argument that someone possessing "privilege" cant have a valid argument is a clear ad hominem, I would suggest that no-one participating in an actual reasoned debate would or should give it any credence.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Maynehead said:
    Maynehead said:

The argument that someone possessing "privilege" cant have a valid argument is a clear ad hominem, I would suggest that no-one participating in an actual reasoned debate would or should give it any credence.
    Noooo. It's that somebody possessing privilege and disagreeing with heavyrocker's baying mob can't have a valid argument.

Otherwise it'd be a circular argument, and People In The Right definitely can't have one of those ;)
    <space for hire>

Imagine my shock!
    Whataboutism alert.

No it’s called trying to divert the argument, usually used by right wing cunts, to justify the unjustifiable.

For the record the example you gave was also disgusting although the comments were so stupid as to almost not be worth not paying attention to. Neeson was talking about murdering someone and as such the greater reaction is justified. So your ‘comparison’ didn’t really work.
    But not if it had been the other way round (White to Black, Asian, Jewish....insert any other race than white).

Selective Outrage, eh! It's all over the place.

Oh Damn, there I go again with my Whataboutery!
  • Maynehead said:
    Maynehead said:

Where did I say they can’t have a valid argument? The point I was making is that it’s easy to dismiss something when it doesn’t personally affect you. 

This discussion has been closed.