Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Liam Neeson

What's Hot

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Maynehead said:
    Maynehead said:
    @ digitalscream - to answer your subsequent point, I never once said he’s evil. He’s privileged in the sense that I can almost guarantee that he will have never, in his whole life, have experienced racism because of the colour of his skin. Just like the people commenting here who don’t see what the problem is. Of course it’s not a problem to you, because it’s not something you will ever have to worry about. So I call bullshit on your pathetic attempt to defend him.
    And from which bodily orifice did you pull that assumption out of?
    The same one you used to make that inane co,ment.

Correct, I have a stash of them tucked up in there, I like to save them for the special occasions when a comment really deserves it.

Your comment was such a nugget. It was so wrong on so many levels that it would be nigh on futile to attempt a sincere response.

However, for what it's worth, I can categorically say that the part highlighted above is plain false.

Okay this should be good. Are you trying to claim that the vast majority of people who are active on this forum aren’t white, middle aged men?

No, as I clearly stated, I am claiming that the statement you made which I have highlighted in bold is wrong.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I don't recall the same level of outrage on here when an actual Racist Black Rapper said disgusting things about the Irish.

What was it now....er "Inbred, Ugly Leprechauns" and asking them "Don't you have a Famine to go die in?"

Imagine my shock!
    Whataboutism alert.
    And Voila! I could have guaranteed someone was gonna come up with that word and guessed it would likely be you.

Erm...Whataboutism, oh yeah, that's the made up word that Twats use, usually people on the Left, they use it to shut down debate.

For Whataboutism read "Comparison". There is nothing wrong with using comparison in debate, especially when it's valid and mine is valid. Same subject, just looking at it from a different angle.

Whataboutism is not a thing! You'll have to move on and make up another word, that one has been rumbled.
     No it’s called trying to divert the argument, usually used by right wing cunts, to justify the unjustifiable.

For the record the example you gave was also disgusting although the comments were so stupid as to almost not be worth not paying attention to. Neeson was talking about murdering someone and as such the greater reaction is justified. So your ‘comparison’ didn’t really work.
    But not if it had been the other way round (White to Black, Asian, Jewish....insert any other race than white).

Selective Outrage, eh! It's all over the place.

Oh Damn, there I go again with my Whataboutery!
    It was a stupid charicature, like saying the French smell of garlic or something equally stupid. It says more about the stupidity of the.person saying it than anything else. Hardly on a par with Neeson talking about wanting to murder a black person, especially when that happens on virtually a daily basis in countries like the US.

Fuck me this is hard.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Maynehead said:
    Maynehead said:
    Maynehead said:
    @ digitalscream - to answer your subsequent point, I never once said he’s evil. He’s privileged in the sense that I can almost guarantee that he will have never, in his whole life, have experienced racism because of the colour of his skin. Just like the people commenting here who don’t see what the problem is. Of course it’s not a problem to you, because it’s not something you will ever have to worry about. So I call bullshit on your pathetic attempt to defend him.

Correct, I have a stash of them tucked up in there, I like to save them for the special occasions when a comment really deserves it.

Your comment was such a nugget. It was so wrong on so many levels that it would be nigh on futile to attempt a sincere response.

However, for what it's worth, I can categorically say that the part highlighted above is plain false.

Okay this should be good. Are you trying to claim that the vast majority of people who are active on this forum aren’t white, middle aged men?

No, as I clearly stated, I am claiming that the statement you made which I have highlighted in bold is wrong.
    How so? Okay I’m willing to accept there may be some people who have commented here defending Neeson who may have been affected by racism to do with the colour of skin. But I stand by the argument that the vast majority won’t have.
  • Maynehead said:
    Maynehead said:

The argument that someone possessing "privilege" cant have a valid argument is a clear ad hominem, I would suggest that no-one participating in an actual reasoned debate would or should give it any credence.
    Where did I say they can’t have a valid argument? The point I was making is that it’s easy to dismiss something when it doesn’t personally affect you. 

Who did Liam Neeson personally effect? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Maynehead said:
    Maynehead said:

The argument that someone possessing "privilege" cant have a valid argument is a clear ad hominem, I would suggest that no-one participating in an actual reasoned debate would or should give it any credence.
    Where did I say they can’t have a valid argument? The point I was making is that it’s easy to dismiss something when it doesn’t personally affect you. 

I give up. Bye!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Maynehead said:
    Maynehead said:

I give up. Bye!
    You should....you're not good at this critical thinking thing.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Maynehead said:
    Maynehead said:

I give up. Bye!
    You should....you're not good at this critical thinking thing.

Careful, if you keep nesting these quotes someone might start complaining that the colour of the quotes is racist! ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I don't recall the same level of outrage on here when an actual Racist Black Rapper said disgusting things about the Irish.

What was it now....er "Inbred, Ugly Leprechauns" and asking them "Don't you have a Famine to go die in?"

Imagine my shock!
    Whataboutism alert.
    And Voila! I could have guaranteed someone was gonna come up with that word and guessed it would likely be you.

Erm...Whataboutism, oh yeah, that's the made up word that Twats use, usually people on the Left, they use it to shut down debate.

For Whataboutism read "Comparison". There is nothing wrong with using comparison in debate, especially when it's valid and mine is valid. Same subject, just looking at it from a different angle.

Whataboutism is not a thing! You'll have to move on and make up another word, that one has been rumbled.
     No it’s called trying to divert the argument, usually used by right wing cunts, to justify the unjustifiable.

For the record the example you gave was also disgusting although the comments were so stupid as to almost not be worth not paying attention to. Neeson was talking about murdering someone and as such the greater reaction is justified. So your ‘comparison’ didn’t really work.
    But not if it had been the other way round (White to Black, Asian, Jewish....insert any other race than white).

Selective Outrage, eh! It's all over the place.

Oh Damn, there I go again with my Whataboutery!
    It was a stupid charicature, like saying the French smell of garlic or something equally stupid. It says more about the stupidity of the.person saying it than anything else. Hardly on a par with Neeson talking about wanting to murder a black person, especially when that happens on virtually a daily basis in countries like the US.

Fuck me this is hard.
    Yep, the Leprechaun thing maybe. However, the Famine thing was pure nasty, you conveniently seem to have missed that bit out. I seem to recall a Famine in Ethiopa, do you think comments aimed at them in the same vein would be acceptable.

Oops, I'm doing Twataboutery again!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    boogieman said:
    Errr, he’s Irish. I can almost guarantee he has experienced racism. It was everyday stuff in the 60s and 70s, how many “Paddy” jokes did you hear on tv in that era? 
    You conveniently missed the part where I said “because of the colour of his skin”.

Sorry if this appears blunt, are you implying that racism based on skin colour is worse than other sorts of racism?

Incidentally, I am white, and have been subject to abuse based on my skin colour.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I find it interesting that there’s been lots of “how could you know, you haven’t been affected by racism?” in this thread... I post an example citing where I have, as a white person.. and yet there’s no response at all.

A friend of mine (who was actually white Eastern European) was abused by the same group - there was some minor physical violence involved as well - it was referred to the police and concluded with some arrests and so forth. It was reported as a racially motivated incident, but predated much of the current legislation so ended up being a minor affray. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Interesting fact - I’m white and have experienced racism.

At university I walked into a reading room at the library, which was full of Malaysians at that particular time having a get together (unofficially - They hadn’t booked it or anything).

Two of them came up to me and said “you’d best leave - we don’t want your type in here.”

I assumed they weren’t talking about the fact I went in there to read a history text.. I reported it to the university and they rather usefully “sent someone to have a word”. I heard nothing else on the matter.
    They just didn't like Bassists?
    That’s a bassist comment. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I find it interesting that there’s been lots of “how could you know, you haven’t been affected by racism?” in this thread... I post an example citing where I have, as a white person.. and yet there’s no response at all.

A friend of mine (who was actually white Eastern European) was abused by the same group - there was some minor physical violence involved as well - it was referred to the police and concluded with some arrests and so forth. It was reported as a racially motivated incident, but predated much of the current legislation so ended up being a minor affray. 

I've actually had abuse directed at me referring to my skin colour on quite a number of occasions; however I think it would be quite wrong for me to claim this is directly equivalent to other people's experiences of racism based or skin colour (or indeed racism not relying on skin colour).

I think people's experiences are all different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I find it interesting that there’s been lots of “how could you know, you haven’t been affected by racism?” in this thread... I post an example citing where I have, as a white person.. and yet there’s no response at all.

Are you really trying to equate that isolated incident with the systematic racism that black people face on a daily basis? When this stuff comes from admins, especially the more rational ones, I’m at a total loss.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• jpfamps said:
    boogieman said:
    Errr, he’s Irish. I can almost guarantee he has experienced racism. It was everyday stuff in the 60s and 70s, how many “Paddy” jokes did you hear on tv in that era? 
    You conveniently missed the part where I said “because of the colour of his skin”.

Sorry if this appears blunt, are you implying that racism based on skin colour is worse than other sorts of racism?

Incidentally, I am white, and have been subject to abuse based on my skin colour.
    No.

And I’m also white and have been physically attacked by a black person before. So what?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26604
    edited February 2019

Are you really trying to equate that isolated incident with the systematic racism that black people face on a daily basis? When this stuff comes from admins, especially the more rational ones, I’m at a total loss.
    LOL.

"You haven't experienced racism, you're white!"

"Actually, yes I have - here's the example..."

"Ah, but you haven't experienced enough racism!"

You're properly turned a corner there. Even I didn't expect that much of a brain-dead argument in this thread, but there it is...

And about the "admins" comment...the fact that we volunteer to provide this service for everyone doesn't mean that we aren't allowed to have opinions. We just try to avoid moderation actions in the threads where we express them.

What were you trying to imply by that?

jpfamps said:
    boogieman said:

No.

And I’m also white and have been physically attacked by a black person before. So what?
    Were you attacked specifically because of your skin colour?
    <space for hire>
    edited February 2019

jpfamps said:
    boogieman said:

No.

Well, you are making an assumption that Liam Neesom has not experienced racism based on his skin colour; he may not have, but don't know that.

I was simply making the point, from personal experience, that being white does not make you immune to abuse based on skin colour.

Regardless if you don't consider racism based on skin colour to be worse that other sorts of racism, then this irrelevant, and I suspect that as a Catholic in Northern Ireland 40 years ago you were likely to be subject to prejudice on a consistent basis, ie it would be constantly apparent. You will also note that have qualified my experiences of racism as in no way being equivalent to other peoples for that very reason.

I've been assaulted twice (by white people) for being "posh", but I suppose class war is acceptable prejudice, so I don't expect a long thread about this where other people who haven't experienced this can be outrage on my behalf.

• I find it interesting that there’s been lots of “how could you know, you haven’t been affected by racism?” in this thread... I post an example citing where I have, as a white person.. and yet there’s no response at all.

LOL.

"You haven't experienced racism, you're white!"

"Actually, yes I have - here's the example..."

"Ah, but you haven't experienced enough racism!"

You're properly turned a corner there. Even I didn't expect that much of a brain-dead argument in this thread, but there it is...

And about the "admins" comment...the fact that we volunteer to provide this service for everyone doesn't mean that we aren't allowed to have opinions. We just try to avoid moderation actions in the threads where we express them.

jpfamps said:
    boogieman said:

No.

Were you attacked specifically because of your skin colour?
    You really are a special kind of stupid aren’t you? Experiencing one example of racism is not equivalent to living with it on a daily basis. You can try to twist my words all you like in your cuntish tone but that’s a fact.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17623
    tFB Trader
    Might want to wind your neck in with the abuse there fella.
  • Might want to wind your neck in with the abuse there fella.
    Oh right so it’s okay for a mod to call me brain dead but I can’t refer to their cuntish tone. Sounds about right.
  • Might want to wind your neck in with the abuse there fella.
    Oh right so it’s okay for a mod to call me brain dead but I can’t refer to their cuntish tone. Sounds about right.
    Nope. I called your argument brain-dead; very, very different thing. Check the rules for clarification if you need it.

"Play the ball, not the man", as the saying goes.
    <space for hire>
This discussion has been closed.