Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Liam Neeson

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22881
    Are you really trying to equate that isolated incident with the systematic racism that black people face on a daily basis?
    You really are a special kind of stupid aren’t you? Experiencing one example of racism is not equivalent to living with it on a daily basis.

You repeatedly insist that none of us middle-aged white men can understand what it's like to be a black person subjected to racism.  That's almost certainly true.

But you can't possibly understand either.  And yet you seem to think you know all about it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17622
    tFB Trader
    Generally resorting to calling the person you are debating a cunt undermines your argument and no it's not ok mod, or not.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    edited February 2019

I find it interesting that there’s been lots of “how could you know, you haven’t been affected by racism?” in this thread... I post an example citing where I have, as a white person.. and yet there’s no response at all.

A friend of mine (who was actually white Eastern European) was abused by the same group - there was some minor physical violence involved as well - it was referred to the police and concluded with some arrests and so forth. It was reported as a racially motivated incident, but predated much of the current legislation so ended up being a minor affray. 

Are you really trying to equate that isolated incident with the systematic racism that black people face on a daily basis? When this stuff comes from admins, especially the more rational ones, I’m at a total loss.
    Actually, I was replying to Philly_Q’s comment:

Philly_Q said:
    @ digitalscream - to answer your subsequent point, I never once said he’s evil. He’s privileged in the sense that I can almost guarantee that he will have never, in his whole life, have experienced racism because of the colour of his skin. Just like the people commenting here who don’t see what the problem is. Of course it’s not a problem to you, because it’s not something you will ever have to worry about. So I call bullshit on your pathetic attempt to defend him.
    Just out of interest, have you experienced racism?
    And I was somewhat disappointed that it only attracted “bassist” comments, so I highlighted that it was an incident linked to another attack which included violence. 

I wasnt trying to equate it with anything. No “equating it” type comments can be found in my replies. I’ve not commented on anything else on this thread other than sharing an experience. 

As the debate had moved onto racism in general, I thought it would be useful to share my own experience as an aside.

Now, I suggest you explain to me why you chose to reply to this in the tone that you chose to do so.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Might want to wind your neck in with the abuse there fella.
    Oh right so it’s okay for a mod to call me brain dead but I can’t refer to their cuntish tone. Sounds about right.
    Nope. I called your argument brain-dead; very, very different thing. Check the rules for clarification if you need it.

"Play the ball, not the man", as the saying goes.
    Fine, I shouldn’t have called you stupid. I stand by the cultish tone comment.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    wow, this escalated.

good night all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Philly_Q said:
    Are you really trying to equate that isolated incident with the systematic racism that black people face on a daily basis?
    You really are a special kind of stupid aren’t you? Experiencing one example of racism is not equivalent to living with it on a daily basis.

You repeatedly insist that none of us middle-aged white men can understand what it's like to be a black person subjected to racism.  That's almost certainly true.

But you can't possibly understand either.  And yet you seem to think you know all about it.

No of course not. I’m not trying to pretend I know what it feels like although I can imagine. But my point was the issue shouldn’t be dismissed by comments like “what’s all the fuss about?”, which is what some people were trying to do.

• I find it interesting that there’s been lots of “how could you know, you haven’t been affected by racism?” in this thread... I post an example citing where I have, as a white person.. and yet there’s no response at all.

A friend of mine (who was actually white Eastern European) was abused by the same group - there was some minor physical violence involved as well - it was referred to the police and concluded with some arrests and so forth. It was reported as a racially motivated incident, but predated much of the current legislation so ended up being a minor affray. 

Are you really trying to equate that isolated incident with the systematic racism that black people face on a daily basis? When this stuff comes from admins, especially the more rational ones, I’m at a total loss.

Philly_Q said:
    @ digitalscream - to answer your subsequent point, I never once said he’s evil. He’s privileged in the sense that I can almost guarantee that he will have never, in his whole life, have experienced racism because of the colour of his skin. Just like the people commenting here who don’t see what the problem is. Of course it’s not a problem to you, because it’s not something you will ever have to worry about. So I call bullshit on your pathetic attempt to defend him.
    And I was somewhat disappointed that it only attracted “bassist” comments, so I highlighted that it was an incident linked to another attack which included violence. 

I wasnt trying to equate it with anything. No “equating it” type comments can be found in my replies. I’ve not commented on anything else on this thread other than sharing an experience. 

As the debate had moved onto racism in general, I thought it would be useful to share my own experience as an aside.

Now, I suggest you explain to me why you chose to reply to this in the tone that you chose to do so.....

That’s why I asked if you were equating it with racism against black people. If you weren’t, then fine. As for the tone, well all I can say is by that point I’d almost lost the will to live.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Generally resorting to calling the person you are debating a cunt undermines your argument and no it's not ok mod, or not.
    And that's usually my opening gambit! 

I'll have to try another strategy in future...............
  • @ bridgehouse my response is in the final paragraph of my previous post. I can’t edit it to take it out of the quote section. Hmmm, strange I can’t edit my posts anymore...
  • Generally resorting to calling the person you are debating a cunt undermines your argument and no it's not ok mod, or not.
    Who did I call a cunt? (In this thread)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ bridgehouse my response is in the final paragraph of my previous post. I can’t edit it to take it out of the quote section. Hmmm, strange I can’t edit my posts anymore...
    LOL, what are you trying to suggest now?
    <space for hire>
  •  cuntish tone but that’s a fact.
    Might want to read it again mate. Maybe you owe @digitalscream an apology. Depends on if you want to stand by your words or not.

Bye!

@ bridgehouse my response is in the final paragraph of my previous post. I can’t edit it to take it out of the quote section. Hmmm, strange I can’t edit my posts anymore...
    Try reloading the page - there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to edit it.
    Might want to read it again mate. Maybe you owe @digitalscream an apology. Depends on if you want to stand by your words or not.
    I don’t understand. Referring to someone’s cuntish tone isn’t calling them a cunt. Digitalscream already made that point.  Nice of you to join the debate at this juncture though. Waiting for the right time to stick the boot in?

I find it interesting that there’s been lots of “how could you know, you haven’t been affected by racism?” in this thread... I post an example citing where I have, as a white person.. and yet there’s no response at all.

Philly_Q said:

That’s why I asked if you were equating it with racism against black people. If you weren’t, then fine. As for the tone, well all I can say is by that point I’d almost lost the will to live.
    Well, as my reply suggests - I’m not equating it at all. If anything I was trying to articulate the point about racism in general that many people of different races, colours and creeds experience it in all sorts of scenarios.

Could I sympathise with someone who is black and has suffered racism on a daily basis? No.

Could I empathise with anyone who has experienced racism and has felt the fear, the degradation and humiliation of it, and the anger that comes with that? Yes. 

At no point before this post have I made reference to racism against black people at all. And neither have I made reference to the Neeson situation - only to racism in general and my limited exposure to it. 

However, the reference to me being an admin was a cheap shot - I fail to see what that has to do with my contribution to this thread at all. What exactly does it have to do with my contribution?
    I don’t understand. Referring to someone’s cuntish tone isn’t calling them a cunt. Digitalscream already made that point.  Nice of you to join the debate at this juncture though. Waiting for the right time to stick the boot in?
    Ah yes. Deflect and attack me. That'll make you look much more sensible.

FWIW; I agree. Racism is lame. No debate there.

Bye!

Try reloading the page - there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to edit it.
    Nope I’m on an iPad. The little symbol at the side of the comment where you can edit has disappeared. If it’s my end then fine. No conspiracy here.
    Ah yes. Deflect and attack me. That'll make you look much more sensible.

FWIW; I agree. Racism is lame. No debate there.
    No I answered your question.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17622
    tFB Trader
    Who did I call a cunt? (In this thread)
    Why Tone of course!

Don't play the silly sausage.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.