Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31871
    strtdv said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Why not diesel?
    Because a lot of people here don't like diesel.
    The only reasons I can think of not to get one are if you are near an ULEZ, or if you do nothing but short journeys in which case you'll clog the DPF.

Diesel sales are still as strong as ever, and all new internal combustion engine sales will end by 2040 anyway. 

The Honda VTEC petrol engines are legendary for their reliability so the diesels don't look quite as good next to them, but they're still a reliable engine (the 1.7 isn't a Honda engine so I'm discounting that one)

Personally I'd still just get a Golf, but there's nothing wrong with the Honda

With half an eye on resale I think the fact that a lot of people don't like them is reason enough to avoid them, whether those people are correct or not. 

It's a bit like a serial flipper asking on here whether they should buy a sunburst Les Paul or a blue one - there's only one answer really, whatever the merits of the guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Why not diesel?
    Because small diesels are shit. 

I agree but this is a 2.2 diesel...unless you’re referring to the car size? 

I would take the Autotrader reviews with a pinch of salt. I’m not saying they’re wrong but I always think owner reviews are of more relevance. Also Honestjohn website gives the 2012 Civic 5 stars.
    Avoid that website though - if you read car reviews on there you’ll probably be put off buying any car ever!

Is there a car you’ve always wanted to own but never have, that meets most of your criteria? (And that isn’t an Alfa?!) Why not treat yourself - you can always sell it after 12 months and then go down the reliable Honda route. If you really like the car you’re more likely to be forgiving of any idiosyncrasies. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    jaytmon said:

I agree but this is a 2.2 diesel...unless you’re referring to the car size?
    Car size. And at 2.2l, this one will be less economical overall and so defeat one of the only remaining points of having a diesel.

Diesel is still worthwhile for big cars for long-distance motorway cruising, or towing, because that's where the advantages of the efficiency and flat torque curve matter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    In terms of diesel, the newest "ultraclean" diesels are pretty good in terms of emissions and particulate matter. I've just replaced a 2013 diesel with a 2016 engine and the road tax went from £140 to £20 per year. Occasionally I have to put in an additive Adblue liquid which keeps the particulate emissions down significantly.

The main thing about diesels is that they don't like lots of short journeys as it clogs the DPF. You need regular reasonable length journeys to get the engine up to temperature to burn off the soot.
  • I had an Accord with the Honda 2.2d. 120k and no problems at all. 

Just note the DPF but that’s the same on any diesel. 

• LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    An old 2.2L diesel in a small car = All the drawbacks with none of the positives.
    Noisy, smelly, sticky pumps handles when filling up, mediocre economy, a dpf to clog up on short journeys and spendy to service.
    Honda petrols are *much* better.

But whatever, best of luck with it.

The Civic's driving position is fine, its just different to low slung alternatives which makes it feel odd to start with. im 6'4 and fit comfortably, can drive for hours without issues.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16334
    There is loads of headroom in the front of my Civic, although not brilliant in the back. 
    A high mileage car bought now isn't going to be worth a lot in a few years so I think the diesel issue is a bit of a red herring unless Emp plans to spend a lot of time driving into big cities. If I was going into London or up the road into Birmingham when it gets a LEZ I'd get public transport which is what it's encouraging you to do anyway. 
    My Civic is a 1.6 diesel and it's perfectly happy at motorway cruising, presumably the 2.2 goes like shit off a shovel but isn't as economic or as low emission. But for a car that has the bells and whistles he likes and will be turned into a shopping trolley in a few years I don't see the problem. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Not sure I follow the relevance of car size.

The equivalent civic petrol engine - 1.8i VTEC is disappointingly gutless (my dad has one) and you’d be lucky to get 40mpg out of it. The 2.2 dTec, is quicker, will give over 50mpg plus tax is cheaper. Granted there’s more to go wrong and fixes will likely be more expensive for diesel but the 2.2 Honda units are supposed to be nicely refined. For an oil burner. Unless you’re doing a lot of stop-start driving in heavy traffic or mostly short journeys, don’t write off a diesel. 

Disclaimer: I drive a petrol car and dislike diesels! 
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited May 2019
    my long term average after 23K miles from my 1.8 civic is 43mpg (calculated properly not based on the vague computer) I get 50+mpg on a decent drive of 40miles or more. 

Honda petrol engines have no low torque at all. The power is at high revs only. 

• SeshSesh Frets: 1870
    Jeeeeeeeez.
    I've just read through this entire thread. I'd never heard of tantric car buying. As my old fusion is lurching towards the scrap heap I thought I'd see what people recommend or not. I wasn't expecting a JJ Abrams type of thing where it starts well and then peters to a non-conclusion for evermore. Anyway, I'm hooked and looking forward to season 2.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1034
    Very lost on this thread, has he brought a car yet or not ? 
    “Ken sent me.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 208
    I have an older 2.2l Diesel Civic, it's awesome.. you'll enjoy it..

Also, if you want to make it fun (210bhp fun)..

https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/services/performance-stats/honda/civic-mk9-2012-2016/diesel/2-2-i-dtec-147-bhp-2012-2016-ECU-remap-chiptuning/stage-1#t3-content
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Yes, but it’s not on the road yet as he’s still fitting the laminate flooring in it 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1034
    Yes, but it’s not on the road yet as he’s still fitting the laminate flooring in it 
    nor the Essex boy go faster stripes
    “Ken sent me.”
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    are we nearly there yet?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I've got an older Civic 1.8 petrol (FN2) and tried the diesel 2.2 and thought it was probably one of the best diesels that I've driven, feels a bit more like a petrol to drive than others.  But the petrol was a bit more fun to drive and I was put off the diesel by the many reports of clutch issues in the civic (don't know if they've sorted that in the newer model).  Also I wasn't sure if I did the mileage to make it worthwhile.  I do about 12k miles a year and average around the 40ish mpg on the petrol so think I made the right choice.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24614
    Sesh said:
    Jeeeeeeeez.
    I've just read through this entire thread.
    There are government funded support organisations that can help you.  You've had a traumatic experience.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited May 2019
    I don't think *modern* diesel engines are as bad as what some people are making out. 

My mum has had a massive citroen diesel for years and only uses it for short journeys. Never had it coke up or anything like that. 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    I don't think *modern* diesel engines are as bad as what some people are making out. 

My mum has had a massive citroen diesel for years and only uses it for short journeys. Never had it coke up or anything like that. 
    But if she’s had it for years it probably doesn’t have a dpf or egr.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited May 2019
    ronnyb said:

But if she’s had it for years it probably doesn’t have a dpf or egr.
    Possibly. Not sure.
    Never actually seen it happen on any car. Have you?