Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72947
    jaytmon said:
    About two pages ago I had an awful premonition that this thread would degenerate into a petrol vs diesel argument...
    The very first thing to decide is if you want a diesel or not. If you do, stop looking at any petrol cars. If you don’t, stop looking at diesels.

Regardless of the justifications, that will halve the selection process right away.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    I have a diesel. 

Its a Volvo. 

I actively chose a diesel. It’s a new one so it’s Euro 6 or whatever the heck it is.

Why? I do 40,000 miles a year mostly on motorways. It’s cheaper and actually more efficient. 

Mrs B had a diesel and she does about 7,000 miles a year. It was crap, inefficient and the DPF kept blocking. She now has a hybrid and it’s brilliant. 

By the time I replace the Volvo they won’t do diesels so I’m hoping they have a super duper long range hybrid job.
    This summarises a lot of what has been said.

I run a 3.5 litre V6 hybrid automatic which is very quiet and comfortable with around 35mpg.

The stumbling block on this thread has been the £6k budget, compromises have to be made.
    £6k will buy a decent used mid sized petrol engined reliable car that does a job. 

Either you want a car that does a job or a car that is a toy. If it’s for doing a job then it needs to be reliable, comfortable and (relatively) efficient. Everything else is hundreds and thousands and shouldn’t be a factor in the decision. When cars are for a job then boring = good. 
    Totally agree......have you told Emp this ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I have a diesel. 

Its a Volvo. 

I actively chose a diesel. It’s a new one so it’s Euro 6 or whatever the heck it is.

Why? I do 40,000 miles a year mostly on motorways. It’s cheaper and actually more efficient. 

Mrs B had a diesel and she does about 7,000 miles a year. It was crap, inefficient and the DPF kept blocking. She now has a hybrid and it’s brilliant. 

By the time I replace the Volvo they won’t do diesels so I’m hoping they have a super duper long range hybrid job.
    This summarises a lot of what has been said.

I run a 3.5 litre V6 hybrid automatic which is very quiet and comfortable with around 35mpg.

The stumbling block on this thread has been the £6k budget, compromises have to be made.
    £6k will buy a decent used mid sized petrol engined reliable car that does a job. 

Either you want a car that does a job or a car that is a toy. If it’s for doing a job then it needs to be reliable, comfortable and (relatively) efficient. Everything else is hundreds and thousands and shouldn’t be a factor in the decision. When cars are for a job then boring = good. 
    Totally agree......have you told Emp this ?
    Who?

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24615
    I’ve upped the budget (again) to £7K.  I’m finding the market opens up a fair bit near 7K.

I’m now put off by the anti diesel gang.  So I might not get the Civic after all.  I don’t know anything anymore!!

I’m also looking at the Kia that’s half the price and thinking “£3,500” would buy one hell of a holiday (the difference between the two cars).

I cannot head into next week without a car, no matter what, so whatever happens, I must buy something before Monday.  I know I said that last week but getting to my new job is becoming very problematic now without wheels.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Emp has demonstrated extraordinary patience and obviously doesn't want to make a rash decision.
     If I was him, I would wait for dilithium crystal models to hit the used market.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7108
    tFB Trader
    Why not a Ford Focus?

They are cheap to maintain and plentiful on the used market. Mrs R has a 125bhp 1 litre turbo petrol version which is pretty nippy and does 60mpg on the motorway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Emp_Fab said:
    I’ve upped the budget (again) to £7K.  I’m finding the market opens up a fair bit near 7K.

I’m now put off by the anti diesel gang.  So I might not get the Civic after all.  I don’t know anything anymore!!

I’m also looking at the Kia that’s half the price and thinking “£3,500” would buy one hell of a holiday (the difference between the two cars).

I cannot head into next week without a car, no matter what, so whatever happens, I must buy something before Monday.  I know I said that last week but getting to my new job is becoming very problematic now without wheels.
    You really ought to be thinking about buy 2 Kias for £7K that way you'll always have a spare, thus never being late for work again.
    Will be just as cost effective in the long run because you'll wear them out half as much. In Fact you could buy one diesel and one petrol so you'll be able to decide each morning if you prefer to choke small kids walking to school on particulate matter or push out CO2 to keep the planet warm. 

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:

If you can't decide on anything else, just buy the Kia.

That probably halves the amount you'll lose if you decide it's not for you.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

If you can't decide on anything else, just buy the Kia.

That probably halves the amount you'll lose if you decide it's not for you.
    ...I thought the Kia was rulled out because the door welding seams aren't pretty enough and its glove box is too low spec or something :s
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    edited May 2019
    Thank God, if I avoid this thread until Monday it will all be over. One down one to go, roll on October 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Emp_Fab said:
    I would like a car with 4 wheels that will cost me under £4,000 ...
    There’s been a large budget increase for Season 2!!
  • jaytmon said:
    Emp_Fab said:

... but will the season finale disappoint many viewers?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12029
    jaytmon said:
    Emp_Fab said:

A 1.6L Vauxhall Astra.
  • jaytmon said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm looking forward to the prequel... with the six year old @Emp_Fab seeking guidance on whether to go for the shiny new bike with stabilisers or a nifty little scooter option.
    Strat_a_tat_tat said:

I'm looking forward to the prequel... with the six year old @Emp_Fab seeking guidance on whether to go for the shiny new bike with stabilisers or a nifty little scooter option.
    The Phantom Volvo
    Attack Of The Civics
    Revenge Of The Ceed

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1034
    When i had to buy a car within two days I simply went to Which and looked for the best buys... Toyota Auris.

“Ken sent me.”
    @Emp_Fab ;

Here is a VERY important thing that you must do.  I am being serious.

Whatever car that you buy, whoever you buy it from (trader), put a minimum £100 on the credit card.  You can put the other £6,900 on cash or sexual favours if you choose but a minimum of £100 has to be on a credit card.  I don't mean VISA debit, I mean CREDIT.  This is so that you get the full protection offered and if the worst happens that you have to reject the car, the credit card company will be jointly liable and you will have a lot more consumer protection.

Remember, £100, not £99.99.  

Got it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    jaytmon said:
    Emp_Fab said:

A 1.6L Vauxhall Astra.
    That would indeed be a massive let down.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4375
    jaytmon said:
    Emp_Fab said:

A 1.6L Vauxhall Astra.
    You can joke - it wouldn't be my first choice either - but if I just needed a bland-o-box to cart me to work and back, I could think of far, far worse to do the job.

At that price I'd rather a Focus, but there's probably not much in it.
    jaytmon said:
    jaytmon said:
    Emp_Fab said:

A 1.6L Vauxhall Astra.
    That would indeed be a massive let down.
    A girl that I sat with at work went through the exact same thing...and went and bought a Diesel Astra and does the 2-miles commute to work and back.