Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Cars are pretty much basic contraptions with the addition of a few computers.  
    That statement was true in the early to mid 80s.

It is way off the mark with pretty much anything built in the last 15 yrs. 
    For you maybe.  Not for me.
    Ooooh fighting talk.

As said earlier, I sense a ton of "I told you so" coming your way.  

I mean when was the last time you fixed a car, seeing that you haven't own one for decades.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited July 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I wish you the very best of luck with your spaners and obd reader. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2587
    I think it helps sharpen the mind if you go look at a few cars. I did that today and ruled out Octavia hatch and Peugeot crossover styles. I'm now pretty clear I'm after a mid-sized estate - a hatch is always going to be a compromise.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24370
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Thanks.  No disrespect, (even though I detect more than a hint of sarcasm!) but this isn't my first rodeo.  I have more than spanners and a code reader in my toolbox.  I'm confident of my mechanical and electrical skills.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27622
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Thanks.  No disrespect, (even though I detect more than a hint of sarcasm!) but this isn't my first rodeo.  I have more than spanners and a code reader in my toolbox.  I'm confident of my mechanical and electrical skills.
    Just make sure you ask for advice here *before* you actually get the spanners out.

That should make sure that you never actually use them.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1027
    Will this post ever end ?
    “Ken sent me.”
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

You'll need 'em if you buy one of those Alfas.
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    When cars are banned, and you go to work by wearing a VR headset in the comfort of your own home. Of course, there is a risk that the title will then change to “buying a VR headset”.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    When cars are banned, and you go to work by wearing a VR headset in the comfort of your own home. Of course, there is a risk that the title will then change to “buying a VR headset”.
    It can’t be black!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5528
    It can’t be black!
    You could always switch it on?
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5528
    40 - Yes FORTY - pages!
    And no car!

i still don’t see the attraction of a Volestar.  The people who know cars knows it’s the “crap one”, the US has the new fast one.
    Strange use of English aside, you get a medal for 'most patronising sentence in a supporting role'.
    People who don’t know cars don’t care about a Hyundai.  So whilst it tickle your fancy, which is fine, it’s not the stand out car you’d think it is. It really isn’t. 

If you care about driving dynamics but don’t want to lose your licence then a MX-5 is perfect because it’s not a fast car.  The fun is the chassis.  You can floor it and still under the speed limit.  The Hyundai will drive like your typical slow FWD hatchback. 

I still think this colour requirement is utterly bonkers.
    Dude... either you're pissed or you need to get some sleep man. "People who don't know cars don't care about a Hyundai" - WTF does that even mean ?

I've never said the Veloster is a "stand out car".  I said I it looks nice.  Or didn't you meant that ?  What did you mean ???

...and you can "Floor (an MX-5) and still under the speed limit" ??????

Hang on.....   I have to ask you this at this point.....   Are you twelve ?  Have I been arguing with a 12-year old all this sodding time ????
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    Emp_Fab said:

i still don’t see the attraction of a Volestar.  The people who know cars knows it’s the “crap one”, the US has the new fast one.
    Strange use of English aside, you get a medal for 'most patronising sentence in a supporting role'.
    People who don’t know cars don’t care about a Hyundai.  So whilst it tickle your fancy, which is fine, it’s not the stand out car you’d think it is. It really isn’t. 

If you care about driving dynamics but don’t want to lose your licence then a MX-5 is perfect because it’s not a fast car.  The fun is the chassis.  You can floor it and still under the speed limit.  The Hyundai will drive like your typical slow FWD hatchback. 

I still think this colour requirement is utterly bonkers.
    Dude... either you're pissed or you need to get some sleep man. "People who don't know cars don't care about a Hyundai" - WTF does that even mean ?

I've never said the Veloster is a "stand out car".  I said I it looks nice.  Or didn't you meant that ?  What did you mean ???

...and you can "Floor (an MX-5) and still under the speed limit" ??????

Hang on.....   I have to ask you this at this point.....   Are you twelve ?  Have I been arguing with a 12-year old all this sodding time ????
    By people who know cars, isn't that obvious? They would know there is a performance model, the N.  It's not patronising, it's like someone call me I know nothing about fashion, I am not offended, I don't feel patronised.  I haven't got a clue what is In this season.  

Are you offended by me calling you don't know your cars when you have proven yourself in this thread over and over that you don't?

This is the N.

What does that mean that people don't care about a Hyundai, it is exactly what it means, it is not a car that turn heads.  Like they won't pay attention when it drives past, it's just like a Fiesta to the public.  If you want me to spell it out to you, it's a £7k bottom of the market hatchback.  It isn't a Ferrari FF.  

You are spending way too much time and effort on something that you shouldn't, especially on something you are not planning to keep long term.
    edited July 2019
    Fuck a duck....  you are twelve.  I'm not wasting any more time with you.  I tried.  Time to hit the ignore button as you clearly can't stay out of my thread.  Come back when you're old enough to drive one.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019

Come back when I have a car?   Even if I am 12, at least I am only 5 years away from driving.  Not sure you have a car by then. 

Enough with the school playground insults, let's talk like an adult here, if you are not, I will. I will lay this out very clear for you without swearing.

Look, buying a car isn't difficult.  There are millions of used cars out there, somehow you have made this impossible.  

You are the one making it this hard, no one else.  

I will spell it out for Y-O-U.  

As long as you keep having these ridiculous criteria, you will never find a car.  The only 12 year old here is you.  You are acting like a teenager all this time,  "mum, I don't want a black one!" "mum I have to have a yellow one!"  You are 55 years old !!! 

It's like you said you want a smooth driving Diesel engine - then the VERY next sentence you are looking at the Honda CR-Z !!!!!! You are making it difficult. Do you not see that?!  

Clearly not.

Of course, you are going to blame me, when I explain things to you clearly, the only thing you can do is call me 12. Whatever.  Blame someone else when you are the one can't even buy a car all in your own doing.  

YOU are the problem.  Not me. Not anyone else.  Not the car market.  This is the truth, face it like a man and stop being difficult and buy a car.  You are looking for a temporary run of the mill bottom of the market everday hatchback, not a vintage Aston Martin DB7.  

It's easy!
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459

We need to lighten this thread up again.

How about this?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mazda/mazda-mx-5-1.8-classic-black-jasper-conran-ltd-edn/1308510833

At that price, it if breaks or fails an MOT, you can just bin it and buy another one.  For the £7.5k budget, you could buy 5 of them.  At least one of them would be good.  If you get lucky and the first one is good, you save £6k.

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    I've got it !

Hyundai Coupe !

It's a Hyundai, it looks good, they come in a range of engines, some were even yellow !

I'm now confident I have won this game of @Emp_Fab Trumps 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26645
    gubble said:
    I've got it !

Hyundai Coupe !

It's a Hyundai, it looks good, they come in a range of engines, some were even yellow !

The V6 version is the only decent one, though, and that comes with quite a high tax bill.

Although...if you're not bothered about tax, and you quite like fun engineering, then the RX-8 would probably be a great choice :)
    <space for hire>
    edited July 2019
    gubble said:
    I've got it !

Hyundai Coupe !

The V6 version is the only decent one, though, and that comes with quite a high tax bill.

Although...if you're not bothered about tax, and you quite like fun engineering, then the RX-8 would probably be a great choice
    Wait until he googles RX-8 and Rotory Engines...I like to see him fixing that with his Spanner with ODB-11 reader. LOL
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    crunchman said:

We need to lighten this thread up again.

How about this?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mazda/mazda-mx-5-1.8-classic-black-jasper-conran-ltd-edn/1308510833

At that price, it if breaks or fails an MOT, you can just bin it and buy another one.  For the £7.5k budget, you could buy 5 of them.  At least one of them would be good.  If you get lucky and the first one is good, you save £6k.

What a car for the money, I'm tempted myself!