Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12029
    Emp_Fab said:
    Five hours left...  I've narrowed it down to...
    All of them  :/
    None of them is the truth.

stop lying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72948
    With that little time left you only have one sensible option - physically go to your nearest large, independent, reputable second hand car dealership, tell them your budget and ask them to list everything they have in that range. Eliminate all those that are simply impractical for your needs (eg for me, that would be anything without a tailgate since I need to put amps and tools in it), if that doesn't narrow it down to a handful then eliminate anything major you don't want (eg for me, diesel and automatic), then by mileage/history or whatever, until you're down to two or three, then buy the one you like the look of best.

Either you'll end up buying a car before the end of the afternoon or the salesman will kill you, I'm not sure which.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    With that little time left you only have one sensible option - physically go to your nearest large, independent, reputable second hand car dealership, tell them your budget and ask them to list everything they have in that range. Eliminate all those that are simply impractical for your needs (eg for me, that would be anything without a tailgate since I need to put amps and tools in it), if that doesn't narrow it down to a handful then eliminate anything major you don't want (eg for me, diesel and automatic), then by mileage/history or whatever, until you're down to two or three, then buy the one you like the look of best.

Either you'll end up buying a car before the end of the afternoon or the salesman will kill you, I'm not sure which.
    That’s too sensible.

if he is logical about this from the start he would have got a car by now.  He isn’t being logical, he isn’t even being emotional, he is being indecisive and impossible.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27036
    edited July 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    Five hours left...  I've narrowed it down to...
    All of them 
    Pick one at random, that's a trader.

Go to their lot, with two hours to go until your deadline or until they close. Have a look at all the other cars that are there. Drive a few, decide which one involves the least compromise.

Buy it.

This solves the primary problem, which you've acknowledged - it isn't that there isn't a car you like, it's that you can't choose between them. 

For extra urgency, tell your wife that if you come home without a car, she gets the money and decides for you.
    <space for hire>

if he is logical about this from the start he would have got a car by now.  He isn’t being logical, he isn’t even being emotional, he is being indecisive and impossible.
    Hence thinking that a car salesman might be driven to put us all out of his misery .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Hence thinking that a car salesman might be driven to put us all out of his misery .
    They will throw him out for wasting their time....actually do that lol
    The problem is he is still unwilling to  uncompromise on anything, not even something that isn’t on the origin “must not have list”.  

I think he has listed every reason not to have a car.  

No car is perfect and he is trying to find a perfect one for bottom prices within his door step by the sea in 4 hours.

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3401
    I’m just waiting for him to say that he doesn’t actually have a driving licence....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 548
    Look this one even has a personalised plate!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27860

Car crash of a thread.

without the actual car, obvs.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    TTony said:

Car crash of a thread.

without the actual car, obvs.
    Driving us all nuts....
    It's 5pm... wonder what he's bought?

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    ICBM said:
    Almost certainly nothing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    ICBM said:
    A 4 month extension to his self-imposed deadline? 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Since I meant to take this light heartedly, can i laugh now? 
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1767
    I'm guessing a 1995 Suzuki cappuccino....

To be fair that green seat looked pretty tasty
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24615
    edited July 2019

Car dealers number six....   

The i20 I looked at had a crap interior - all scratched.

The green Ibiza had been in a smash (front and rear bumpers not fitting right and the left side had been sprayed.

The £7000 Civic Auto I was haggling about had awful visibility.  The screen rake was too severe.

In amongst this lot here are several nice ones - the best selection I've seen today, including a nice MX5, a Green Auto Fiesta,  a cheap C30 Volvo, an immaculate Avensis, a white TT convertible and a beautiful Merc C200 Auto that's spotless, Auto, Diesel, £3000 and does 41mpg.

Unfortunately, the proprietor of this last place went home while I was underneath the MX5 with my torch.  So...  No....  I have failed to get a car today.  I have no wheels at all tomorrow, so I will have to rely on friends or family to bring me back here where I WILL be buying one of the aforementioned cars.

Dial 0871 111 2221 to vote for the MX5
    Dial 0871 111 2222 to vote for the C200
    Dial 0871 111 2223 to vote for the Fiesta
    ....2224 for the C30
    ....2225 for the Avensis
    ....2226 for the TT

Calls cost £29.99 per minute plus your normal network charge.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1870
    He almost bought a car but there was a loose nut behind the steering wheel.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1767
    Get the merc then......

Great cars I adored mine 
    So you didn’t have to get a car today then.