New Gibson line finally in stores

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31882
    terada said:
    Also, having looked at all weights available so far from Andertons/Peach/Coda. It appears (from this limited sample) that the gold tops are consistently much heavier.
    Real gold, innit. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    p90fool said:
    terada said:
    Also, having looked at all weights available so far from Andertons/Peach/Coda. It appears (from this limited sample) that the gold tops are consistently much heavier.
    Real gold, innit. 
    The best guitar for heavy metal
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2941
    edited May 2019
    I kinda fancy that black DC Jr - got used to the pickguard now! It's quite expensive for what it is though, for that money I'm sure I could find a used Tokai (or similar) with some leftover money for pickups/electronics. And have the proper pickguard. I'd hoped it'd be closer to the £500 mark but I guess that's old Gibson prices!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    NelsonP said:
    Sparks said:
    NelsonP said:

Thanks for this. Dropped Mrs Sparks a WhatsApp message to mention the price drop as I'd told her recently I fancied a Junior, and she told me to buy it. Have dutifully obeyed.
    Nice work! I've got a DC jr tribute and it's great.

Lovely guitar! But your JCM800 looks weird  ;)
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    You can now get a sub 9lb all solid, no nonsense les Paul, with thinner binding and better bridge for a fair price.

I own a bunch of reissue Gibson’s, and having seen these I reckon (assuming the neck angle was good) I’d go for one. 
    @terada, not trying to diss the new range and there’s a few I like the look of but this seems slightly optimistic.

The 8.8lbs one you saw is literally the only sub 9lbs new range Les Paul I’ve seen so far on any website world wide. Average seems to run around 9.6-9.9lbs with the heaviest at 11lbs. These weights will put many off, that’s just fact. I guess it might be different if the compromise was a single slab body but these all seem to be 2 piece. 

Any holy grail circa 9lbs and under standards will be needle in a haystack territory with no choice but to take what you get when it comes to the top, fit/finish etc.

For me the best value in the new range looks to be the juniors so far. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Anyone tried one of the newer 2019 Studios yet, any good? I like that they now have a bound neck, to me a Les Paul feels weird without neck binding. They also seem pretty good VFM at about a grand. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6927
    edited May 2019
    TINMAN82 said:
    You can now get a sub 9lb all solid, no nonsense les Paul, with thinner binding and better bridge for a fair price.

I own a bunch of reissue Gibson’s, and having seen these I reckon (assuming the neck angle was good) I’d go for one. 
    @terada, not trying to diss the new range and there’s a few I like the look of but this seems slightly optimistic.

The 8.8lbs one you saw is literally the only sub 9lbs new range Les Paul I’ve seen so far on any website world wide. Average seems to run around 9.6-9.9lbs l.  These weights will put many off, that’s just fact.
    Is it really a fact though?

Many or just a handful of obsessive people?

The 11lb ones might be on the heavy side for some people I absolutely agree - but your quoted average of 9.6-9.9lb will be fine for anyone who hasn’t got a medical condition or been ‘told’ by the internet that it’s too heavy.  

I’ve owned at least 3 Les Pauls and have never weighed any of them before or after buying.

To be honest before I’d looked on a guitar website I wasn’t aware of the average weight of a Les Paul and even now I know - I’m not arsed about the difference between 9lb guitars in ounces.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31882
    Iamnobody said:

To be honest before I’d looked on a guitar website I wasn’t aware of the average weight of a Les Paul and even now I know - I’m not arsed about the difference between 9lb guitars in ounces.
    Me neither, and it amuses me that so often the "cure" for a 10lb Les Paul is a 2lb leather strap covered in metal conchos and buckles. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Iamnobody said:
    TINMAN82 said:

The 8.8lbs one you saw is literally the only sub 9lbs new range Les Paul I’ve seen so far on any website world wide. Average seems to run around 9.6-9.9lbs l.  These weights will put many off, that’s just fact.
    Is it really a fact though?

Many or just a handful of obsessive people?

The 11lb ones might be on the heavy side for some people I absolutely agree - but your quoted average of 9.6-9.9lb will be fine for anyone who hasn’t got a medical condition or been ‘told’ by the internet that it’s too heavy.  

I’ve owned at least 3 Les Pauls and have never weighed any of them before or after buying.

No doubt there will be some who are happy to slug around a 10-11lb Les Paul. 

I very much recall the R8 thread and the obsession with which weight was discussed...and very few of those were much over 9lbs. Probably a biased sample of players I accept. 

It’s not about tone imo, just physics. I’m 6’3” and stocky (with no “conditions”) but my shoulder definitely feels the difference with my 9lb R8 strapped on for a while. More than a few ounces beyond that would put me off. There are still a lot of 2019 classics on the hangers unsold, despite pretty similar spec to the new standards, and weight could be an issue with those. Happy to be proven wrong.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    9lbs does feel nicer than 10lbs! You can get used to heavier ones but side by side 9lbs is nicer. I have one of each atm. I probably wouldn't have considered it unless directed
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 304
    Upsides:

- New pricing which finally makes sense
    - Graph Tech nut finally (instead of some cheap plastic). I hope they are cut well too. 
    - Pots and Orange Drop Capacitors

Neutral: 

- QA seems to be improved but still not that good
    - I'm already tired of praising the new CEO as Jesus Christ and the start of the new Golden Era
    - Still hearing about people changing pick ups

Downsides:

- Two-piece bodies
    - Still Acrylic inlays 
    - Short tenon necks

In general: Gibson are definitely moving in the right direction.  I believe this will be a good year for them. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    To be fair - I always change the pickups in every guitar I get. Always have. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Every year I get huge gas for the Les Paul Tribute but have yet to pull the trigger. The latest andertons vid is on the tribute and studio. They say the tributes rounded neck is similar to the standard 60’s. Man, it looks and sounds mighty fine indeed. 

https://youtu.be/WdXGsJC4oZs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1337
    Has anyone laid hands on the new Junior?

I have enormous amounts of GAS for one of those.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5882
    So, this is the 2nd 2019 line up as they already had the 2019 line up before New Year and now the CEO introduces his company's latest upgraded line for 2019?
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4173
    So, this is the 2nd 2019 line up as they already had the 2019 line up before New Year and now the CEO introduces his company's latest upgraded line for 2019?
    Not really. The 2019 models came out in 2018 and were the creation of the old regime.

The new regime has got rid of yearly models and instead introduced its new range of guitars that replace these.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5882
    Not really. The 2019 models came out in 2018 and were the creation of the old regime.

The new regime has got rid of yearly models and instead introduced its new range of guitars that replace these.
    You said it better @Grumpyrocker I realise that the yearly models become available in the late period of the year before. There was an "Old Regime" 2019 line up though? With the Std T and Std HP and the Traditionals and all that?
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2620
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader

You said it better @Grumpyrocker I realise that the yearly models become available in the late period of the year before. There was an "Old Regime" 2019 line up though? With the Std T and Std HP and the Traditionals and all that?

Yes...  Gibson filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy last year.... As a result of that Henry Juszkiewicz the man who saved Gibson in the 80s is out and new guy J C Curleigh is the new boss at Gibson and has changed their direction somewhat... So there was the old Henry 2019 guitars released in 2018 and now JC guitars re-jigged and actually released in 2019.. So yes, two lines in 2019 but for good reason.

I was a bit confused by this as well but that seems to be the jist of it, these should be 2019 onwards til they decide to improve them. personally I prefer the look of the "old" 2019 Studio with bound neck, hopefully that means I can find a bargain on one soon.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3419
    antonyiv said:
    Upsides:

- Graph Tech nut finally (instead of some cheap plastic). I hope they are cut well too. 
    Are these a significant improvement over Tektoid? Aren't they essentially the same?