New Gibson line finally in stores

What's Hot

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5869
    I realise the recent history of the company, I just expected them to wait until they could launch "The new 2020 Line Up". Re the Studios, I didn't realise any of them ever had bound necks?
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    These annual range launches are a bad idea.  Many will just wait for end of line sales
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    pmg said:
    These annual range launches are a bad idea.  Many will just wait for end of line sales
    Gibson have said already they are no longer doing annual revisions. This is the new line launch and it’s “until further notice” as far as anyone knows. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    Whitecat said:
    pmg said:
    Gibson have said already they are no longer doing annual revisions. This is the new line launch and it’s “until further notice” as far as anyone knows. 
    Jolly good
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    Been playing the 50s Standard the last couple of days - really like it. Neck feels great, although still needs even more lemon oil... Even after putting on about six doses!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7136
    FarleyUK said:
    Been playing the 50s Standard the last couple of days - really like it. Neck feels great, although still needs even more lemon oil... Even after putting on about six doses!
    just dab it on fingertips of your fretting hand instead?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    Whitecat said:
    pmg said:
    I find that quite disappointing if they don't at least offer different finish options every year. If the CEO is on board with "Giving people what they want" then I'd want more than the usual Heritage Cherry or Black Finishes on the SG Std and a good selection in general on all models. There is only 1 finish option on a few models. Poor, really poor.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    pmg said:
    I find that quite disappointing if they don't at least offer different finish options every year. If the CEO is on board with "Giving people what they want" then I'd want more than the usual Heritage Cherry or Black Finishes on the SG Std and a good selection in general on all models. There is only 1 finish option on a few models. Poor, really poor.
    They may well - but there’s not going to be a definite “model year cycle” like they have done under Henry J for the past decade or so...

It sounds to me like they are taking a more “Fender” approach this way, but they have options. Could be they reserve alt colours etc for limited runs, and keep the heritage colours available all the time?
    Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:
    pmg said:
    They may well - but there’s not going to be a definite “model year cycle” like they have done under Henry J for the past decade or so...

It sounds to me like they are taking a more “Fender” approach this way, but they have options. Could be they reserve alt colours etc for limited runs, and keep the heritage colours available all the time?
    Maybe so, but I'd expect some choice. Colours Like Natural, Cherry and Black for the Flying V should be present all the time for me. They could then occasionally release a White Model or a Gold Model or maybe a Blue as a Special Run. Similarly for other models too. I mean, how many shades of Brown/Amber can you get on a Les Paul? They are all different and mostly nice, so should be rotated regularly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    pmg said:
    What's with the Lols, so having more choice is Hilarious, FFS!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Whitecat said:
    pmg said:
    None are from me, but I’m assuming they’re ‘f*cked if you do/f*cked if you don’t’ based
    terada said:
    Whitecat said:
    pmg said:
    None are from me, but I’m assuming they’re ‘f*cked if you do/f*cked if you don’t’ based
    I get that, but it's not Rocket Science to think "Hey, guys, we're only offering one Colour, you think we should improve that"

At least I can stop whinging about how "clever" Fender are at what they offer, colours/specs 'n all. They are positively Altruistic compared to Gibson :)

Also noticed there are no Left Handed Gibson Players anymore as they don't offer them. It's all good and well people saying you can Special Order one, but I think folks like to go to the store and play one.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    terada said:
    Whitecat said:
    pmg said:
    I get that, but it's not Rocket Science to think "Hey, guys, we're only offering one Colour, you think we should improve that"

At least I can stop whinging about how "clever" Fender are at what they offer, colours/specs 'n all. They are positively Altruistic compared to Gibson :)

Also noticed there are no Left Handed Gibson Players anymore as they don't offer them. It's all good and well people saying you can Special Order one, but I think folks like to go to the store and play one.
    Absolutely, the complete lack of southpaw options is the real pisstake of these new models. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27265
    I'm sure one of them (JC or Cesar) said in one of the launch interviews that the plan would be more stability in the model range, but flexibility with special runs of specific finishes or slightly different features. 

I would like to think that stuff like the shop-specific orders will continue, assuming they were good sellers. They always seem like cool guitars, so I'd be surprised if not.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Custom Shop to be more about bespoke options as well as closer historical recreations I’d have thought. Having said that, I’m sure there’s scope for a few new colours and lefties to be added to this lineup
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    terada said:
    terada said:
    Whitecat said:
    pmg said:

Absolutely, the complete lack of southpaw options is the real pisstake of these new models. 
    1 in 10 are left handed right?
    I'm sure it is annoying if you are left handed, it's probably annoying as hell but I can understand it from a business point of view. I'd want to satisfy 90% over 10% especially if I was trying to rectify massive debt issues
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    terada said:
    terada said:
    Whitecat said:
    pmg said:

1 in 10 are left handed right?
    I'm sure it is annoying if you are left handed, it's probably annoying as hell but I can understand it from a business point of view. I'd want to satisfy 90% over 10% especially if I was trying to rectify massive debt issues
    According to Paul Reed Smith, 1 in 10 are left-handed but only around 1 in 100 guitar buyers demand a left-handed guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm left handed but play right handed. I do feel pretty bad for left handed players as their really isn't the choice out there. One look at the classified on this site will tell you that. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4159
    I'm sure more choice will come in terms of finishes and lefties. Gibson has had a massive job completely changing the line-up and a risky one at that. But since it seems people are largely very receptive I think other choices will come along before the end of the year.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1654
    I had a bash a couple of the ones they had in GuitarGuitar Edinburgh over the weekeend. The necks were comfy and they seemed well set up but the lacquer on the back of the necks felt really thick and sticky/grippy. Normally don't mind a lacquered neck but they all felt that they might be a nightmare in a hot and sweaty gig. Can usually be quite easily fixed with some super fine sandpaper or wire wool but they seemed like they'd need a lot taking off. Has anyone who has bought one found this or just me?