Gibson warning video over trademark infringements

What's Hot

Comments

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    So where’s the line drawn? All designs are free for others to clone/duplicate?
    There’s a clear difference between inspired by vs cloning in my mind and it’s the latter that’s fair game for the lawyers. It’s also not the first time there’s been a big push to litigate. 80s Japan the obvious examples. Re PRS, well I think the singlecut is sufficiently different. It’s the likes of Tokai & even Chibsons that ought to be the target here. Not say, Heritage, Collings or Huber. Are Eastman sufficiently different? Are the builders like Gil Yaron & Bartlett fair game? Do they say thanks very much to Chris Derrig? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark drops by to say hi to the Norm crew. 

‘Hey Norm are you hiring?’  
    ‘There’s this Gibson video hitting the channel in a few weeks time and let’s just say that’s there’s some shit and a fan involved so I may need a place to crash for a while’

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KVmjlNZKCtY
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 302
    "Buy a guitar a long as it say Gibson. Don't waste your on bolt-on necks. Buy the real thing."

Semi-historical fake female laugh behind the camera. 

Here we go, I'm pissed off again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    I wonder if this is whom Gibson is referring too?  Even the headstock shape is similar
    Go to 5:50

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    Rabs said:
    I wonder if this is whom Gibson is referring too?  Even the headstock shape is similar
    Go to 5:50

Those actually look pretty good and I am sure they will be cheap. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Love those Harley Bentons! They should produce a special Les Paul edition and call it "The Agnesi".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyiv said:
    Wow. Never thought I'd see the armchair QA thing. I'm impressed!

As someone who worked in QA for the best part of 8 years let me tell you... it's a real skill, and no... some nobber off the street couldn't do it.
    Manual or Automation QA?
    Both.

Bye!

I am so close to ordering a Chibson with a customised headstock logo. I want a LP with "Agnesi" on the headstock in the Gibson font. Then I'm going to demo it on YT.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Philtre said:
    I am so close to ordering a Chibson with a customised headstock logo. I want a LP with "Agnesi" on the headstock in the Gibson font. Then I'm going to demo it on YT.
    Get a teardrop pickguard for extra points.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    rpr said:
    Oh wow, they're actually going for it.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    rpr said:
    That’ll get thrown out surely?

the dean V has been in production for 40 years!... any judge will say “why now?”...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited June 2019
    From the article:

’’
    The details of the filing are equally interesting. Rather than only accusing Armadillo of infringing trademarks, the filing accuses it of Trademark Counterfeiting – in effect accusing Armadillo of trying to deceive or mislead the public into thinking that the guitars made by Dean and Luna are in fact Gibsons, or have some connection to Gibson.

This is notable because not only is it a much more serious accusation than trademark infringement, but the penalties if the court is to find against Armadillo are also much greater. Gibson is seeking damages comprising Armadillo’s profits, damages sustained by Gibson, and the costs of the action, as well as for the former two amounts “to be trebled or otherwise multiplied to the extent permitted by statute”, according to official court documents. Alternatively, Gibson can pursue statutory damages of up to and including $14 million ($2 million for each of the seven mentioned in the filing).

Gibson has requested a jury trial to resolve the case. Guitar.com has approached both Armadillo Enterprises and Gibson Brands for comment’’

Gibson are being complete twats now. instead of  improving the brand they’re just seeking to destroy any competition and squeeze the marketplace and why now after all this time 

This is going to come back and bite them in the arse twice as hard 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You have to wonder how Gibson would be doing if they didn't put quantity over quality for decades, didn't go ahead with all those ridiculous brand acquisitions, and, y'know, actually gave a damn... I've a feeling they'd be doing quiet a bit better than having to resort to this petty nonsense.
    rpr said:
    "Rather than only accusing Armadillo of infringing trademarks, the filing accuses it of Trademark Counterfeiting – in effect accusing Armadillo of trying to deceive or mislead the public into thinking that the guitars made by Dean and Luna are in fact Gibsons, or have some connection to Gibson."

Good luck with that.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15502
    interesting that they are asking for a jury, they know that their case won't hold up to expert scrutiny, but they know that juries are much easier to sway and give judgements that don't align with the facts (look at the recent ruling against Monsanto in the US)

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18813
    Tenebrous said:
    rpr said:
    Oh wow, they're actually going for it.
    Wow indeed. My Dean ML Black Bolt (bought for a laugh for a few quid) will now officially be a Lawsuit Guitar.
    My future is secured   :)  :3
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    Philtre said:
    rpr said:
    "Rather than only accusing Armadillo of infringing trademarks, the filing accuses it of Trademark Counterfeiting – in effect accusing Armadillo of trying to deceive or mislead the public into thinking that the guitars made by Dean and Luna are in fact Gibsons, or have some connection to Gibson."

Good luck with that.

Isn’t that basically what got rubbished on the PRS lawsuit appeal when the judge said someone would have to be an idiot to mistake them for a Gibson? 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I thought the video Agnesi did was the most stupid thing Gibson had done in years.. 

...seems I was premature in my assessment. Truly an act of gargantuan idiocy that will do nothing but damage their brand. Arrogance to the extreme 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom