Gibson warning video over trademark infringements

What's Hot

Comments

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Enforcing ip in China is hard - I believe China doesn't acknowledge intentional trademarks and if you want to enforce yours in China you first have to file in China. Then you can go after the fakes (Didn't an acoustic manufacturer do this relatively recently?)
    Pretty sure in the last few years or so a relatively big seller on DHGate was closed down by a joint effort of guitar manufacturers and Chinese authorities - thousands of fakes confiscated.
    Can't find anything online right now but will have a wee google when I've a bit more time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tenebrous said:
    What do Gibson even make with the 'Gibson' brand that is competitively priced?? The LP Juniors, okay sure.. but what else??
    SGs don't seem that much more expensive than the higher end Revstars, but I'd buy a Revstar before I bought an SG if I had to buy blind.
    Well I've already made my opinion on SG's known! :)

Bye!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14283
    tFB Trader
    pmbomb said:

After listening to Agnesi, I’ve lost a lot of respect for him. It would be very very interesting to know who’s pulling his strings... 

I wouldn't blame Agnesi (without more information), perhaps the reason he looks uncomfortable in the video is that he is.
    I bet he thought the role would be far more pro-active - In the way Anderton's promote their youtube site

Show of the product - talk about its history - show its features - talk about what makes XYZ so special inc upgrades etc - The finer detail of different pick-ups - Interviews with 'our guitar hero's - Talk about famous iconic models/guitars from the past etc etc 

Not sure he knew he'd have to  be an arse licking c*nt with a long tongue, that can penetrate into the deep cavities of corporate tossers - Some statement !!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    I hope they lose the case and end up a few more million overdrawn and with even more egg on their faces, the arrogant, bullying arsewipes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    I wonder if they chose Dean deliberately on the strength that they are more likely to win due to Dean not having the money to fight - and then a president is set... and then they can go after bigger fish.

I think they will struggle to win this - especially in view of the time Dean have been making these guitars. But hey, who knows.

I think Ash hit the nail on the head earlier though regarding righteous indignation vs the feeding frenzy of 'bargains'. However, I also can see Gibson's view point regarding protecting their brand ip in a very crowded market. Its just a little clumsy, leaves a sour taste in the mouth and won't help their marketing...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
    edited June 2019
    They've started suing!!

https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/gibson-sues-dean-guitars-trademark-infringement/?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium&utm_term&utm_content&utm_campaign

They are going after Dean first - including an allegation that Dean are purposely misleading customers into thinking Dean guitars are Gibsons!

ha ha hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Twats.

EDIT - Man this place moves fast!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    pmbomb said:

After listening to Agnesi, I’ve lost a lot of respect for him. It would be very very interesting to know who’s pulling his strings... 

I wouldn't blame Agnesi (without more information), perhaps the reason he looks uncomfortable in the video is that he is.
    I bet he thought the role would be far more pro-active - In the way Anderton's promote their youtube site

Show of the product - talk about its history - show its features - talk about what makes XYZ so special inc upgrades etc - The finer detail of different pick-ups - Interviews with 'our guitar hero's - Talk about famous iconic models/guitars from the past etc etc 

Not sure he knew he'd have to  be an arse licking c*nt with a long tongue, that can penetrate into the deep cavities of corporate tossers - Some statement !!!!
    Absolutely spot on.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Thinking about this, I'm not sure that Dean will have the financial muscle to pay the lawyers they will need.  It just looks like Gibson exploiting their big boy status.

I'm not planning to sell the Gibsons I've got, but this really doesn't make me want to buy any more.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26618
    impmann said:
    I wonder if they chose Dean deliberately on the strength that they are more likely to win due to Dean not having the money to fight - and then a president is set... and then they can go after bigger fish.
    ...except Dean probably have a much more positive balance sheet than Gibson at this point. As does pretty much everybody in the guitar industry!
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
    IIRC PRS won against Gibson basically because there was no confusion at the Point of Sale.

As Gibson lost that, that surely must be the reasoning behind the allegation that Dean are pretending to have something to do with Gibson?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    crunchman said:
    Thinking about this, I'm not sure that Dean will have the financial muscle to pay the lawyers they will need.  It just looks like Gibson exploiting their big boy status.

I'm not planning to sell the Gibsons I've got, but this really doesn't make me want to buy any more.
    I suspect a lot of people on the internet who have seen this whole mess feel the same.

Sadly this is a tiny proportion of all guitar buyers, so I suspect Gibson will barely feel a dent.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Just think of all the PRS guitars that the lawyers involved will be able to buy after this suit is finished...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12362
    Mark Agnesi has the haunted rabbit in the headlights look of an old soldier found in the jungle 40 years after Nam ended.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Perhaps my inner cynic, but perhaps the venture capitalists who propped Gibson up are looking for some cheaper brands to add to their portfolio?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited June 2019

pmbomb said:
    been thinking of a second guitar recently, much as I love my "authentic" Classic it's feeling less likely every day the next will be a Gibson.
    Likewise. I still want a nice Les Paul and was looking at a new Studio but I'm probably going to go for something MIJ now!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Biggest revelation for me was to stop getting hung up on whats on the headstock. I used to be a brand hoar and was guilty of ignoring a guitar if the headstock didn't have the right name on it. 
    Now i focus on actually how a guitar sounds, plays and the quality of how its built. This is why I've been looking at MIJ and UK builders for my next guitar.
    I've got no interest in giving my money anymore to a company which is wanting to increase it's market share by attacking others in the industry, you get ahead by making decent quality stuff.  

On Agnesi I think he's got to be very careful, I think this whole situation is starting to highlight that he's out of his depth. The corporate world can be a murky one and as much as JC is appearing to be a Gibson man he's not. He has investors to please. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14283
    tFB Trader
    It makes you wonder how many of the Gibson team will be appearing at any dealer clinics, or shows, over the next month or so - I dare say they would get a bit of a tough time from some punters
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited June 2019
    ...to swing their dick around like a complete fanny... 
    erm. Er.  o
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    It makes you wonder how many of the Gibson team will be appearing at any dealer clinics, or shows, over the next month or so - I dare say they would get a bit of a tough time from some punters
    Or a lot of pointing and laughing at them....
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    I'd skip a new gibson on the basis of this posturing
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom