4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10487
    tFB Trader
    They're re-uploading it on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdGvFngN9gA

hehe!

=) 
    That's priceless :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

The comments...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I really like this 'response' from the always excellent Leon Todd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7zwd9hWGUw&t=29s

A really clear and well thought out response.

In summary - this video shows that at the end of the day Gibson have not changed, we (as guitar players) all fell for the 'return to roots, authentic'  spin. But actually that was all marketing and at the end of the day it's the same Henry era Gibson with a different marketing approach.

Well worth a watch I think

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22926

Comments aside, WTF has a video of Cliff Burton playing Arias and Rickenbackers got to do with Gibson?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72405
    Philly_Q said:

Comments aside, WTF has a video of Cliff Burton playing Arias and Rickenbackers got to do with Gibson?
    Showing the build quality and decades-long model consistency to which they're aspiring, respectively...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

Showing the build quality and decades-long litigation history to which they're aspiring, respectively...
    FTFY
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Agreed, it is a bizarre video to use...I don't think I've ever seen old footage of Cliff with any type of Gibson for a start...
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Another YT response:

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    And another one:

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 832
    Gibson have been/are in the mire. I read a lot that people question Gibson's pricing and suggest regularly that there are quality issues.

Seems to me that the copy/fake/similar styles must have an effect on Gibson's overall trade, why buy an Epiphone when a lot of people don't like the headstock when you can buy another similarly or better guitar for similar or less money.

Surely Gibson have to listen to what people are saying with regard to quality and pricing. But there might be a problem... if they significantly reduce prices and quality improves what happens to the value of used guitars and the people that have supported them for many years. Surely they will be disgruntled!

Seems to me they are in a Catch position. I wouldn't surprised on the back of all the negative publicity the video has stirred up that Google searches on fakes/copies has gone up!

If I were in charge of Gibson I start using the open book headstock on their Epiphone's and just generally make sure they were giving good value for money.

•  they need to focus on bringing something to the table. Something that makes people perk up and take notice.

They have - hide glue and 'molecular plastic'. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 302
    Well,..people bash Gibson's video even on the Gibson forum: https://forum.gibson.com/topic/147737-gibson-sends-out-a-warning-to-copycats/.

I really don't know how they shot themselves in the leg that fast.
  • Major fuck up for Gibson.

Mark taking some serious heat over on Instagram etc. He’s only following orders and is just a poster boy firing Gibson’s bullets 

Bet he never thought it would be like this when he took the ‘Dream job’
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    How would the guitar builders on tFB feel if they came up with truly brilliant original design (or three) and subsequently loads of other builders/manufacturers cloned them and made a load of money from them? 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18812

they need to focus on bringing something to the table. Something that makes people perk up and take notice.

Wow! I'm still using 'atomic' plastics. Must upgrade soon... :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22926

they need to focus on bringing something to the table. Something that makes people perk up and take notice.

Wow! I'm still using 'atomic' plastics. Must upgrade soon... :)
    Related image
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Fifty9 said:
    How would the guitar builders on tFB feel if they came up with truly brilliant original design (or three) and subsequently loads of other builders/manufacturers cloned them and made a load of money from them? 
    Would be quite a compliment I imagine.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Fifty9 said:
    Whilst I think that's an interesting point - the fact is, if you take the Les Paul - first built in 1952, Gibson have not pursued with any vigour (to my knowledge) any major manufacturer apart from PRS, and they lost.

So threatening something 67 years after the initial build, is a little late I think?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    peteri said:
    Fifty9 said:
    Whilst I think that's an interesting point - the fact is, if you take the Les Paul - first built in 1952, Gibson have not pursued with any vigour (to my knowledge) any major manufacturer apart from PRS, and they lost.

So threatening something 67 years after the initial build, is a little late I think?
    They've actually pursued lots of manufacturers, especially little ones. Tom Anderson is a great example of one who backed down because they didn't have the resources for a fight - they scrapped the original 'Bulldog' model as a result of pressure from Gibson. Around the time this was happening, other small builders revealed that they too had received C+D letters from Gibson's legal people.

In terms of "major" manufacturers, well, their track record continues to not be very good - those with the resources to fight back do tend to win. PRS was the first, JHS was a more recent victory. http://www.musicincmag.com/News/2016/111416/111416_Gibson.html