Gibson warning video over trademark infringements

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18826
    Simon_M said:
    Anyone seen this manufacturer's guitars.
    https://maybach-guitars.de/en

Chopper Agnesi will getcha  :o
    Their line of guitars is very imaginatively derivative. 
    FTFY  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    Gibson’s last few Instagram posts are farcical. I don’t think anyone has commented on the post itself. Absolutely hilarious 
    Thanks for that.  I just went and had a look.  Very funny.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I know this has run on and on but something that surprised me was that Agnessi did not have the brains or  balls to say no, this is not what you hired me for as Director of internet and brand experience or whatever the title is he has. This is not how building a brand is done in the world of the Internet. Keep social media out of legal. it’s a fact that as the likeable bloke from Norms who loves guitars persona Gibson not only screwed themselves bigstyle they also screwed Agnessi.  Now what kudos or capital does he  have with customers and the guitar market.

The fact that he either either agreed or rolled over says the honey moon period for JC is over with the public. They got an unprecedented amount of PR from the Gibson is back that was pushed around by all media commentators. 

Hey ho

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Simon_M said:

FTFY  ;)
    Ah yes, that’s what I meant. :lol:
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Gibson’s last few Instagram posts are farcical. I don’t think anyone has commented on the post itself. Absolutely hilarious 
    It’s certainly not going away is it? Gibson have screwed themselves big time 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    crunchman said:
    It will eventually go away but before that I'm hoping Gibson does actually issue a proper apology and pull the lawsuit against Dean. That would be the dignified thing to do (and lower prices a smidgen). If Mark has any sense he will resign and take a better job elsewhere before all credibility is lost.
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    Simon_M said:
    Simon_M said:

FTFY  ;)
    Ah yes, that’s what I meant. :lol:
    Interesting factoid: the parent company of Maybach guitars, iMusicnetwork also owns the Larson Brothers name and associated trademarks and since Larson Brothers implemented the Open-Book headstock design before Gibson, theoretically iMusicnetwork could sue Gibson for trademark and design infringement...
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Reverend already getting prepared....

https://i.imgur.com/kDWuuxF.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited June 2019

It's not going to go away because ultimately all the criticism that is being levelled at Gibson is about a lot more than a threatening video. That video has just become a focal point, highlighting the fact that Gibson is still just another aggressive, profit-driven American corporation, exploiting clever marketing and BS to sell often shoddily made goods for an extortionate price.

That video is also an admission of failure and defeat by Gibson. They know that one can buy a 'look alike' guitar that is 95% plus as good as any Gibson (and better than many) for 1/10 the price, and one that is better than any Gibson for half the price. What they should be doing is focusing on quality and value, but clearly consider themselves to be incapable of doing so, and only able to 'compete' by eliminating the competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    I know this has run on and on but something that surprised me was that Agnessi did not have the brains or  balls to say no, this is not what you hired me for as Director of internet and brand experience or whatever the title is he has. This is not how building a brand is done in the world of the Internet. Keep social media out of legal. it’s a fact that as the likeable bloke from Norms who loves guitars persona Gibson not only screwed themselves bigstyle they also screwed Agnessi.  Now what kudos or capital does he  have with customers and the guitar market.

The fact that he either either agreed or rolled over says the honey moon period for JC is over with the public. They got an unprecedented amount of PR from the Gibson is back that was pushed around by all media commentators. 

Hey ho

Good post - I agree that Agnessi has probably been sucked into the headlights of a corporate machine and dare not stand up for his own integrity - Gibson Guitars have many attributes but this latest activity is not one of them 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    terada said:
    The Marshall knob is a dead give-away 

I'm sure that's an Orange.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    They really needed to have turned around the brand perception re quality & value before going public with this kind of thing. Knock yourselves out going legal but only on the quiet.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Three-ColourSunburst said:

That video has just become a focal point, highlighting the fact that Gibson is still just another aggressive, profit-driven American corporation, exploiting clever marketing and BS to sell often shoddily made goods for an extortionate price.
    You mean like Levi's?

:)

Which I like and wear, by the way - but there's no doubt that the quality is variable and not like it used to be. And I would never pay full retail prices in one of their own-brand shops - I get mine from Costco or occasionally charity shops.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11792

It's not going to go away because ultimately all the criticism that is being levelled at Gibson is about a lot more than a threatening video. That video has just become a focal point, highlighting the fact that Gibson is still just another aggressive, profit-driven American corporation, exploiting clever marketing and BS to sell often shoddily made goods for an extortionate price.

That video is also an admission of failure and defeat by Gibson. They know that one can buy a 'look alike' guitar that is 95% plus as good as any Gibson (and better than many) for 1/10 the price, and one that is better than any Gibson for half the price. What they should be doing is focusing on quality and value, but clearly consider themselves to be incapable of doing so, and only able to 'compete' by eliminating the competition.
    It may be a bit worse than that.

Gibson's IP is being used to hoover up cash by venture capitalists, they may well be asset stripping like crazy.

Then they go properly bust, and all the debt disappears.

Then a couple of years later, the IP gets sold to a Chinese firm and we get "super good number one Gibson Les Paul" for £250 on eBay (probably better built than the ones costing £2600 now)...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    pmbomb said:
    57Deluxe said:
    how much do I have to pay to display the headstock logo in a public place now then??
    Nothing.

Logos are taped over to avoid giving free product placement.

ah yes has been the rule of thought - but Agnisi seemingly inferred otherwise...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Gibson's IP is being used to hoover up cash by venture capitalists, they may well be asset stripping like crazy.

Then a couple of years later, the IP gets sold to a Chinese firm and we get "super good number one Gibson Les Paul" for £250 on eBay (probably better built than the ones costing £2600 now)...
    Not sure whether that would even be such a bad thing
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Gibson have, intentionally or not, got everyone talking about Gibson.

The chap from Reverend above has clearly cottoned on to a way to leverage a bit of this his way.
    terada said:

Not sure whether that would even be such a bad thing
    I can't think of any other industry apart from Guitars where "made in the USA" is considered worthy of a premium price...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    I can't think of any other industry apart from Guitars where "made in the USA" is considered worthy of a premium price...
    The aforementioned Levi jeans.

The pair I'm wearing were made in the Valencia Street SF factory.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The aforementioned Levi jeans.

The pair I'm wearing were made in the Valencia Street SF factory.
    Don't tell me... they have unique "mojo" and they way they focus your farts gives great "tone"....?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom