PSA Marshall Origin 20 dropped again

What's Hot
aspnetaspnet Frets: 46
edited July 2019 in Amps
Heads up - just noticed the Origin 20 head & combo have dropped in price at GuitarGuitar again

Picked up a head after seeing the feedback from various people on here. Early morning insomnia is killing my bank balance...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    £299 right now. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    This indicates they’re having trouble selling them. Why?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

I think a lot of people don't understand what a plexi is actually like to use and expect it to be like a modern amp.

I really couldn't be happier with mine.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    ICBM said:
    Because of the studio series 20 watters i’d suggest.
    Moe_Zambeek said:

That was my first thought, but they’re a lot more expensive so I wouldn’t have expected them to harm the sales of the Origin much.

If that is the reason, then this market is sensitive to quality rather than price, as well as probably smaller than most of us would expect. That itself should be food for thought for Marshall...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited July 2019
    £299 right now. 
    £259 right now!
    Bought!

Anyone want my Combo?!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• aspnetaspnet Frets: 46
    I think it's only been the 20w versions that have been heavily discounted a few times over the last few months.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054

aspnet said:
    Heads up - just noticed the Origin 20 head & combo have dropped in price at GuitarGuitar again

Picked up a head after seeing the feedback from various people on here. Early morning insomnia is killing my bank balance...
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    paulnb57 said:
    £299 right now. 
    £259 right now!
    Bought!

Anyone want my Combo?!
    I'll give you £150 for it as new price dictates ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philtre said:

Ooh, that likes nice. Are these any good?
    Basically a miniature Soldano for the price of a Chinese Peavey. Better-made than anything else at that price or even a lot more.

They don't sound exactly like the Marshall - more modern and 'rock' even with that more vintage-voiced one - but they're also more versatile.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Why on earth are they so cheap?!
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Moe_Zambeek said:

That was my first thought, but they’re a lot more expensive so I wouldn’t have expected them to harm the sales of the Origin much.

If that is the reason, then this market is sensitive to quality rather than price, as well as probably smaller than most of us would expect. That itself should be food for thought for Marshall...

I would think the opposite is true.

I'm surprised people are buying the mini plexi when it's so similar to the much cheaper origin.
    edited July 2019
    Why on earth are they so cheap?!
    Made in China, almost no R&D cost - copied from Soldano circuitry - sold direct to dealers, and no brand-name markup. Valve amps are not complex technology and if anything you should be asking why the others are so expensive...

I'm actually surprised this is any kind of surprise, they've been available for years.

monquixote said:

I would think the opposite is true. 

I'm surprised people are buying the mini plexi when it's so similar to the much cheaper origin.
    To put it bluntly, the SC20 looks like a proper miniature Plexi and the Origin looks like a cheap knock-off. It could be as simple as the lack of the piping across the front, or the jack and control layout, but it just doesn't look right.

tFB Trader
    Not looking right isn't going to make me pay 3 times the price!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    I liked the origin.
    The 1st time i tried one I really couldn;t see what the fuss was about, but get the master over 1/2 way and it's glorious.
    So is the SC20, but I found the origin more user friendly and practical.
    If the studio amps hadn't come out I'd have bought one already.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    @ICBM ;

Have you managed to directly compare an Origin, JCA20hv and Studio Classic at any point?

I currently have the Jet City and just wonder if the Marshalls would do anything very different? And part of it is vanity in it would be nice to have a little Marshall sat on the 2061cx.......... :-)

Using the Jet City for an edgy clean, pedals all in front and playing rock. Cheers
    newi123 said:
    @ICBM ;

Have you managed to directly compare an Origin, JCA20hv and Studio Classic at any point?
    No - I've never played the Origin at all, and not directly compared the Jet City and the SC.

I know what you mean about the look of the SC20V on the 2061 cab - that's what the guitarist in my band had, briefly - but I found the amp disappointing... as he did, which is why it got sold immediately. Wrong application probably - it sounded very good for low-gain classic rock with the guitar straight in, but when pushed with pedals at band volume it just didn't work well at all.