PSA Marshall Origin 20 dropped again

What's Hot
14567810»

Comments

• Still enjoying mine, some cool Fruschanti tones in there to be had.

At low home volumes I fatten mine up with Supro Boost and a Cali 76 compressor. I find Cali 76 is great for single coils, but I cant say I like it on Humbuckers as much.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    @skippy76 ; I generally tend to dislike compression on humbuckers but find it very useful on single coils.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Fez said:
    @skippy76 ; I generally tend to dislike compression on humbuckers but find it very useful on single coils.

I find it especially useful to balance the volume level when tapping coils.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    edited September 2019
    I use compression on humbuckers cos I'm rubbish! 

Definitely sounds the nuts with single coils, the Fat50s in my Strat love it, for example, but I usually require the beef of the buckers.
  • PS: my Origin has been my gig buddy since the GuitarGuitar reduction and I absolutely love it! It's just the crappy footswitch keeps getting jammed on but I intend to address that shortly...
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    For anyone still on the lookout for one of these you can pick one up for £242.10 from Absolute Music Solutions until midday today via the PACKED10 10% discount code on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-ORI20H-Origin-20-watt-Valve-Head-Guitar-Amp-NEW/273995474546
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Head back at £269 on guitarguitar as of last night 
  • What price did the heads get as low as?
  • Yamaha77 said:
    What price did the heads get as low as?
    I think mine was £219 from Peach. Bargain in my opinion!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    I tried a 20c today in Manson's in Exeter.   I thought it was ok but nothing special.   As a clean amp it was fine and the gain and boost helped a bit. Tried it with a boss od3 and again it was ok.  Obvs I not tried it in a band situation but that 10inch speaker wasn't doing it for me and it was getting a bit flubby when I cranked it. 

I  have owned  a h&k statesman 112, h&k 20th and 25th, and a  blackstar artist 15.  tbh I preferred all of those to the 20c. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    edited October 2019
    I got an Origin 50 last week to use with my pedals (after haggling with Andertons via their price match).

This thing is insanely bright, holy shit the Tilt switch almost took my head off when it was far clockwise haha. I love it though, played a gig with it Friday night and it really cuts through the mix like a knife. Not too heavy either which is nice. If there was one quibble it would be that the EQ is not really that generous - bass and mids all the way up but it feels like I need just a little bit more from both.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Anyone know of a decent non-Marshall replacement footswitch for these? Maybe something that lets you use your own lead?

Either way, the boost switch on mine keeps getting stuck on, drove me nuts last two gigs.

Boss FS 5L
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    edited October 2019
    JD50 said:
    Anyone know of a decent non-Marshall replacement footswitch for these? Maybe something that lets you use your own lead?

Either way, the boost switch on mine keeps getting stuck on, drove me nuts last two gigs.

Boss FS 5L
    Thanks for this. Bit more than I was hoping to spend on something that only does one thing but good to know nonetheless.

Mine has actually started behaving again so I might be ok for now...
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    JD50 said:

Boss FS 5L
    Thanks for this. Bit more than I was hoping to spend on something that only does one thing but good to know nonetheless.

Mine has actually started behaving again so I might be ok for now...

I bought mine 2nd hand off ebay for under £15.... Bespeco do a copy for £7... I've not tried one but they look the same, appears to have a decent switch like the Boss.

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Bespeco-VM22-On-Off-Switch-with-LED/art-KEY0003234-000?campaign=PSM_UK/kelkoo&ProgramUUID=MrLAqJarZEUAAAFobL.P7Dz7

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Dopesick said:
    I got an Origin 50 last week to use with my pedals (after haggling with Andertons via their price match).

This thing is insanely bright, holy shit the Tilt switch almost took my head off when it was far clockwise haha. I love it though, played a gig with it Friday night and it really cuts through the mix like a knife. Not too heavy either which is nice. If there was one quibble it would be that the EQ is not really that generous - bass and mids all the way up but it feels like I need just a little bit more from both.
    I can almost guarantee that will be the speaker, a mate has one and  after a load of rehearsing and gigging it has fattened up nicely.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    photek said:
    Dopesick said:

I can almost guarantee that will be the speaker, a mate has one and  after a load of rehearsing and gigging it has fattened up nicely.
    I think it was a bit low on the bass and mids because it was low volume and on the 10w setting...d'oh!

I used it again yesterday at band practice (at 50w naturally) using an old Marshall JCM900 2x12...sounded fantastic. This amp could very well be a keeper, it ticks all the right boxes.
  • £269 at most places atm.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Dopesick said:

head or combo?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Dopesick said:

head or combo?
    Head - but as stated earlier I tried it out at practice and it sounded fantastic. I mean yeah I am just using it as a pedalboard amp really but it definitely has that thump and grind to it that I was missing with my Quilter.
  • sratosrato Frets: 24
    I've had my 20C for about a year, I kept it stock because it sounds really good.  Love that amp!