PSA Marshall Origin 20 dropped again

What's Hot

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    ICBM said:
    paulnb57 said:
    Is it possible to get a smidge more gain from a valve swap? O 20 H...
    Not more gain really, but slightly more distortion. If the amp comes stock with a JJ in V1 and Chinese 12AX7s in V2 and V3 (the SV20H does), the first thing to do is swap V1 and V3 - that will give a little more bite and harmonics.

(The Marshall labelled JJ has red lettering and the Chinese ones white.)

If you want to try new valves, old-production RFTs seem to have slightly more gain - as well as a really good bright but rich crunchy sound that suits Marshalls better than anything.
    Thanks!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    Twinfan said:
    Read my post above yours  ;)
    Sorry, that's what happens when I start a post then get distracted by a work email and don't actually finish it for half an hour!

Thanks for the deets.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Ha ha - we've all been there!
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    Arrived today and on the first strum I realised it's far too loud for any home use, even at 0.5w. If it's not cranked, it sounds quite thin and lifeless. 

I've only just started doing gigs so was hoping this would be a good amp for at home practice and small venue gigs/rehersal. Unfortunately it seems it's only good for the latter really. Shame as I love the vintage Marshall sound. 

Might have to return it, but will wait a few days to decide. Wish I had a sound proofed garage I could use for practice, instead of a top floor flat with leaded windows, so the neighbours can hear every strum. Just need to convince the Mrs to move out of London..... for the "kids" sake of course! 

If I was any good it might not be so bad ;) 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    I tame my 20w with a Jettenuator or most times by turning it down and putting a dirt pedal in front of it. Still sounds good.
    Actually I do have a swart light jr. If I set the amp at 5w or 0.5w that should be ok I assume? Had in my head 20w as the jr is only rated to 15w and didn't want to pay another £100 for a cheap attenuator just to use the thing at home. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Try a volume pedal, or a pedal with a volume control, or a "volume box", like Danny1969 makes, in the loop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes I've seen that trick before, volume pedal through the fx loop
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    I tried the volume pedal in the loop on the head and it's not really such a great sound, as you lose the master drive.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    Philtre said:
    I tried the volume pedal in the loop on the head and it's not really such a great sound, as you lose the master drive.
    Yes, you'll need an attenuator with this since the power stage distortion is the major part of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Been playing the amp for a while today and really coming around to it.

Mostly been using it clean with pedals, but have been using it with an attenuator in 5w mode to drive the amps OD which is very nice, especially with my LP. 

Just wondering what settings people have found work well with a strat, for a good clean? I've always used Fender amps, so this is a little different for me.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17611
    tFB Trader
    You can pull the mids back and push the bass for a more fendery sound.

You can get some amazing home sounds with a jettenuator and a boost like a klon or a rangemaster type.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    Gigged with mine yesterday and managed to really dial it in as I wanted. Great rhythm sound, add RAT for occasional extra gain as required, hit boost for solos.

Absolutely in love with it.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    Just incase you haven't seen this. Official series of Marshall videos for tone settings on the Origin. 

• Have used this at a few rehearsals now and am mightily impressed. We are a 3 piece but it gives a huge sound when used a pedal platform (I go from mid to fairly high gain).

For the price I paid from Peach, I’m extremely happy.
  • Anyone know of a decent non-Marshall replacement footswitch for these? Maybe something that lets you use your own lead?

Either way, the boost switch on mine keeps getting stuck on, drove me nuts last two gigs.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17611
    tFB Trader
    Bright onion?
  • Bright onion?
    Thanks, quite a complex list of products but I'll do a bit more digging and see if one will work! They seem reasonably priced, at least.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited August 2019
    Bright onion?
    Thanks, quite a complex list of products but I'll do a bit more digging and see if one will work! They seem reasonably priced, at least.
    Send them an email describing what you want. James is super helpful. He can probs do you one with an indicator light too
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    Must resist buying one of these but its cheaper than buying a victory v4 sheriff