Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

"Has it got all the paperwork?"

What's Hot

Comments

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    You are putting an arbitrary £200 value on paperwork and I don’t think anyone is suggesting it’s worth £200. If both guitars were priced at £2500 I’d take a fair guess you’d take the one with paperwork, which would mean therefore it has some value?
    OMG this is hard. As I've said, like 3 times, yes, I'd take the one with paperwork. Why is that so difficult to understand? No, I would not pay any more for it but if it's there, then great. It's something that might be nice to have to have a little read through but I ascribe no monetary value to it. None. Nada. Diddly. Comprende?

If it has no monetary value to me then, given this is a debate over how it affects the price, I'm not sure what your point is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7544
    adampeter said:
    Wow there's some dense people on this thread

@bgmartinsbridge is absolutely correct on this, like talking to teenagers 
    So wide of the mark with their answers it comical, of course you buy the guitar you like best regardless of coa/cert, it will still be worth less than the one with it, fact....
    Same with watches, etc.....in fact anything that can be faked.
    Personally i couldn't give a flying as long as i know this, and if the "proper guitar players" can't get their heads around fact, well hey ho its their loss
    If the COA is about provenance, surely a COA is easier to fake than the darned guitar? 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a little like GCSE psychology - people can't understand that other people have a different opinion to themselves.

Go to a shop, no paperwork on a custom shop strat or Gibson. They will discount it, it's incomplete. 

Several similar custom shop strats for sale, one has missing paperwork. Most people will expect it to be cheaper, as it's incomplete.

Some people don't care about the paperwork, agree, but some some do - guess what, that means the paperwork has a value because some people do. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    TimmyO said:
    adampeter said:

So wide of the mark with their answers it comical, of course you buy the guitar you like best regardless of coa/cert, it will still be worth less than the one with it, fact....
    Personally i couldn't give a flying as long as i know this, and if the "proper guitar players" can't get their heads around fact, well hey ho its their loss
    If the COA is about provenance, surely a COA is easier to fake than the darned guitar? 
    I give up mate, its honestly too much like hard work, you do your thing and i will do mine, its all good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    adampeter said:

If you can't tell the difference between a Gibson CS and a Chibson without a bit of paper then good luck to you. The guitar itself is all the 'paperwork' you need. Not some tag. Just because you keep saying 'fact' doesn't make you right.

Calling me dense because I disagree with you is rude, especially when you've got the cheek to then call out others for it being 'like talking to teenagers'. Calling people names then telling others they're being childish - I mean really? Calm down pal.

Time for the mods I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_Halen said:
    You are putting an arbitrary £200 value on paperwork and I don’t think anyone is suggesting it’s worth £200. If both guitars were priced at £2500 I’d take a fair guess you’d take the one with paperwork, which would mean therefore it has some value?
    OMG this is hard. As I've said, like 3 times, yes, I'd take the one with paperwork. Why is that so difficult to understand? No, I would not pay any more for it but if it's there, then great. It's something that might be nice to have to have a little read through but I ascribe no monetary value to it. None. Nada. Diddly. Comprende?

If it has no monetary value to me then, given this is a debate over how it affects the price, I'm not sure what your point is.
    Merely that in your example you implied that a seller would put £200 on paperwork. This is just fun :) though, if you’re finding it hard, might I suggest stepping away? It’s not worth your happiness
  • @Dan_Halen - If you don't feel paperwork has a value but other people feel it does have a value, then the paperwork must have a value.

If you buy a car and youre willing to pay a grand for it and someone else thinks it's worth 1200, then it's worth 1200.

It's very simple thinking. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Dan_Halen said:
    adampeter said:

If you can't tell the difference between a Gibson CS and a Chibson without a bit of paper then good luck to you. The guitar itself is all the 'paperwork' you need. Not some tag. Just because you keep saying 'fact' doesn't make you right.

Calling me dense because I disagree with you is rude, especially when you've got the cheek to then call out others for it being 'like talking to teenagers'. Calling people names then telling others they're being childish - I mean really? Calm down pal.

Time for the mods I think.
    I give up mate, you're right of course, all fakes are easy to spot
    The dense comment was a general comment, not aimed at you personally, better get the mods to split us all up, don't want to get jumped at playtime  ;)  
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7544
    Threads you regret starting.... 

Red ones are better. 
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2865
    edited August 2019
    @TimmyO - better on the golf course.
    Good luck with the lessons :-) 
    @Dan_Halen - If you don't feel paperwork has a value but other people feel it does have a value, then the paperwork must have a value.

If you buy a car and youre willing to pay a grand for it and someone else thinks it's worth 1200, then it's worth 1200.

It's very simple thinking. 
    If it's the only car available to buy then that would be true. That's simple thinking. Maybe, just maybe, there is more than one second hand car on the market and not every single one of them is priced at 1200?

Bad example anyway. Paperwork with a car is not exactly the same thing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited August 2019
    Dan_Halen said:

Instinct tells me don’t get involved but it seems there’s a point you’re missing and it relates to economics.

If you and others are admittedly willing to overlook one guitar over another as it lacks paperwork then the open market for that guitar is potentially limited. It follows that the overlooked guitar may ultimately sell for less as buyers gravitate towards examples with paperwork. By extension, the COA could affect the “going rate”. That’s just fact whether or not you feel paperwork is worthless or not.

Under some circumstances, someone like yourself may come along early and pay full asking price without worrying about paperwork. For that particular sale, the COA was worthless. As @ICBM ;;; has said, that possibly applies to “most” real world sales, particularly lower priced guitars. But when you sell that guitar it could be a different story.

This situation is particularly applicable in modern times when many buy second hand online without trying first.

Not many (I hope) would argue that any rational player would always pick the better guitar “in hand”, irrespective of paperwork. But that potentially applies more to a situation where it’s possible to compare and contrast in person. Truth on both sides of the argument for sure.

The story earlier about the guy who refused a PRS he liked as the original case was torn is comical.
    Merely that in your example you implied that a seller would put £200 on paperwork. This is just fun :) though, if you’re finding it hard, might I suggest stepping away? It’s not worth your happiness
    It was an example to illustrate a point. Obviously a concept that went way over your head. Thanks for patronizing me though with a dumb remark :-)
  • The point still stands, if you think that paperwork is worthless but one other person thinks it has a value, then it has a value. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    TINMAN82 said:
    Dan_Halen said:

Instinct tells me don’t get involved but it seems there’s a point you’re missing and it relates to economics.

If you and others are admittedly willing to overlook one guitar over another as it lacks paperwork then the open market for that guitar is potentially limited. It follows that the overlooked guitar may ultimately sell for less as buyers gravitate towards examples with paperwork. By extension, the COA could affect the “going rate”. That’s just fact whether or not you feel paperwork is worthless or not.

Under some circumstances, someone like yourself may come along early and pay full asking price without worrying about paperwork. For that particular sale, the COA was worthless. As @ICBM ;;; has said, that possibly applies to “most” real world sales, particularly lower priced guitars. But when you sell that guitar it could be a different story.

This situation is particularly applicable in modern times when many buy second hand online without trying first.

Not many (I hope) would argue that any rational player would always pick the better guitar “in hand”, irrespective of paperwork. But that potentially applies more to a situation where it’s possible to compare and contrast in person. Truth on both sides of the argument for sure.

The story earlier about the guy who refused a PRS he liked as the original case was torn is comical.
    Nicely put, my only disagreement would the comment about "most real world sales" not being worried about COA/Certs
    Anything high end, Fender CS, Gibson CS, PRS, etc will have their value affected, maybe not over 1 sale of 1 guitar , but certainly over a few sales of that same guitar
  • Dan_Halen said:
    It was an example to illustrate a point. Obviously a concept that went way over your head. Thanks for patronizing me though with a dumb remark :-)
    Come on man, just having a wee bit of a laugh. Not patronisation intended. My sense of humour didn’t come with the right paperwork! I always knew that would come back to bite me.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited August 2019
    adampeter said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Dan_Halen said:

Under some circumstances, someone like yourself may come along early and pay full asking price without worrying about paperwork. For that particular sale, the COA was worthless. As @ICBM ;;;; has said, that possibly applies to “most” real world sales, particularly lower priced guitars. But when you sell that guitar it could be a different story.

Nicely put, my only disagreement would the comment about "most real world sales" not being worried about COA/Certs
    Anything high end, Fender CS, Gibson CS, PRS, etc will have their value affected, maybe not over 1 sale of 1 guitar , but certainly over a few sales of that same guitar
    My point being that high end CS guitar sales are not reflective of “most real world sales”. As others have indicated, they must represent a minority of worldwide second hand sales for the same reason you don’t see many Aston Martins on the road.

Both sides of the argument have valid points and may be correct from certain perspectives.
    edited August 2019
    The point still stands, if you think that paperwork is worthless but one other person thinks it has a value, then it has a value. 

Only in a trade. If the buyer or seller ascribe it no value then it has....wait for it.... no value.

Look man, seemingly unlike the other way round, I totally see your point of view and think, technically, you're not wrong. I just don't think its a real world issue. Special circumstances excluded - super high-end, collectors items etc..

I'm no authority whatsoever but I've bought and sold loads of guitars and amps of reasonable value over the last 20 years or so and never once had paperwork even mentioned (beyond a 'it's in the case if you're interested'). If I a get a buyer who tries to knock the price down because something isn't there I'll politely say thanks but no thanks. If the instrument is priced right then it has always sold.

If, one day, I end up with a guitar that I just can't sell for years because I won't knock 50 quid off as the paperwork is missing, I'll come back and buy you all a pint as I tuck in to my humble pie.
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2865
    edited August 2019
    All throughout this thread we have focused on high end guitars, as those are what people ask has it got paperwork.

Noone is talking about low to mid guitars, where noone requests paperwork. 

Where people request paperwork, it has a value because those people put a value on it. 

The people who don't put a value on it pay what they feel itls fair.

But as I said above, if one person places a value on paperwork then it has a value. Simples. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TINMAN82 said:
    adampeter said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Dan_Halen said:

Under some circumstances, someone like yourself may come along early and pay full asking price without worrying about paperwork. For that particular sale, the COA was worthless. As @ICBM ;;;; has said, that possibly applies to “most” real world sales, particularly lower priced guitars. But when you sell that guitar it could be a different story.

My point being that high end CS guitar sales are not reflective of “most real world sales”. As others have indicated, they must represent a minority of worldwide second hand sales for the same reason you don’t see many Aston Martins on the road.

Both sides of the argument have valid points and may be correct from certain perspectives.
    I get you but the only sector this is really valid for is the high end stuff, no one was arguing that a hang tag on a mexican strat affected value, no one really cares about production level guitar paperwork.
    Most real world sales wouldn't have COA or certs anyway
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom