Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the new Yamaha THR II!

What's Hot

Comments

• Not sure if I’ve said this already. The focus is on the 30. That is more expensive yes. It’s more everything. If we’re comparing apples to apples, then compare the old 10 with the new one. It’s not a significant increase. It’s basically an exchange rate increase but you get all the new stuff too. I’m inclined to agree that if you want the 30, a non wireless version would be nice to give you the extra volume/ ui but without the extra cost but we don’t have one so can’t help anyone there. The fair comparison is the old 10 vs new one. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    It feels odd for me to defend the price of a 500 quid modelling practice amp, but if I was going for one of these I already have a G10 so the wireless feature is cheaper for me, and I've bought lower end models in the past and regretted not spending the difference. 

If I wanted a THR I would just buy the 30, you soon forget about the extra money but never forget the features you're missing when you try and save that money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    So Ross, does this one do four or six slices of bread at a time?

;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    So Ross, does this one do four or six slices of bread at a time?

;-)
    22 and a half and you can control how brown you want it with the app. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
  • Philly_Q said:
    Lets be fair, there is a silent (this time at least) large section of the fretboard populace who have never been near a gig (as a player), own 30k worth of guitars, to whom £500 is piss-all.

Yep, but I haven't been silent.  And I still think £500 is quite a lot for what it is.  I have disposable income but I don't go throwing it around like Paul Pogba in a car showroom.
    I didn't say "and there lies a group which everyone in would buy one" I just pointed out that that group are likely the target market.

Let's face it Fretboarders are so contrary they would change their plan to buy one just because of the fear of being considered in any group! ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22864
    Philly_Q said:
    Lets be fair, there is a silent (this time at least) large section of the fretboard populace who have never been near a gig (as a player), own 30k worth of guitars, to whom £500 is piss-all.

Yep, but I haven't been silent.  And I still think £500 is quite a lot for what it is.  I have disposable income but I don't go throwing it around like Paul Pogba in a car showroom.
    I didn't say "and there lies a group which everyone in would buy one" I just pointed out that that group are likely the target market.

Let's face it Fretboarders are so contrary they would change their plan to buy one just because of the fear of being considered in any group! ;)
    Just to strengthen your argument (and destroy my own) I am thinking about buying one.... But maybe not for a while, I haven't been feeling very spendy recently.
  • If it’s got Bluetooth and you can control the parameters on the fly with the app how hard would it be to get a Bluetooth midi pedal to switch the presets on the fly? 
    If it could do that I’d buy one yesterday. 
  • grungebob said:
    If it’s got Bluetooth and you can control the parameters on the fly with the app how hard would it be to get a Bluetooth midi pedal to switch the presets on the fly? 
    If it could do that I’d buy one yesterday. 
    You can. I don't know how yet but it supports 3rd party bluetooth footswitchingness. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Watching that Andertons demo.  Danish Pete does make it sound good.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2441
    edited September 2019
    crunchman said:
    Watching that Andertons demo.  Danish Pete does make it sound good.
    That was my preset. Doesn’t sound like that when I played it.  :/

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Check out Bax online. THR 30 II currently £400.90 with a 5% discount.

I ordered one yesterday. In stock in 8 days.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    @rossyamaha - Hi Ross, slightly off subject, with the old versions, say the THR10X, is it possible to take a line out from the unit as there isn't a line out/speaker out?

Can you use the Aux for this or would the only way for it be heard at volume is to mic it up?
  • Kebabkid said:
    @rossyamaha - Hi Ross, slightly off subject, with the old versions, say the THR10X, is it possible to take a line out from the unit as there isn't a line out/speaker out?

Can you use the Aux for this or would the only way for it be heard at volume is to mic it up?
    You could use the headphone out. Obviously that would kill the internal speaker but if you're playing at loud volumes then that wouldn't be a problem anyway. 

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Thanks @rossyamaha and that would be fine :)
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited September 2019
    The upgrades including all three of the previous versions in one amp is great, the aesthetics of it are absolutely horrible. I doubt I'll be buying one to replace my original THR10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d be interested to see what line6 have brought to the THR series, the original were god awful, the news that they have been totally redesigned sounds appealing but they are very expensive for a home amp. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • p90fool said:
    I'm definitely not the target market for this, but don't really have a problem with the prices.

I'd pay that if it was what I wanted, and the previous generation certainly seem reliable enough, also, the pound is on its arse at the moment, which is relevent. 
    This is me basically. I'm not really the target market for something like this, but no problem with the prices. Seems fairly reasonable to me?

Don't really give eighteen dicks about bluetooth though - in fact, bluetooth can potentially add a shit ton of latency, so I'm surprised it's being marketed as a feature.

Bye!

• , bluetooth can potentially add a shit ton of latency, so I'm surprised it's being marketed as a feature.
    I would imagine the bluetooth is there for people who want to play backing tracks from their phones, or just use the THR as a speaker for listening to stuff, so latency doesn't really matter as long as the wireless guitar signal doesn't use bluetooth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    I was in London near the Yamaha store yesterday.  I dropped in, and asked about the new THR's, but was told they are not going to be around until November.  Not a problem, but if that is correct, don't rush there to try them.

I was interested in a Yamaha guitar, and got a lot of incorrect information from the sales guy there, so I don't know if he's correct about availability.