PRS - Fashionable again?

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
With the rise in number of wanted adverts for PRS guitars, and the recent hike in sale prices on eBay of Maryland's finest, does this mean that they've become fashionable? Does this mean that men that smell gently of beard oil, wearing jeans so skinny that pipe cleaners become fearful are going to be wielding them at the next organic festival? Or does it mean that finally the vision of Chad playing his 10 top has been expunged from our minds?

Or is it that folks are finally waking up to the fact that they probably are the world's best made production guitars?
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    again?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Who's Chad?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5753
    Nope. Not fashionable now and I don’t think they ever will be. 
    Fashion is for young people, PRS are not. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Who's Chad?

Nickelback.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    No
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    I dunno, young people seem to love the SEs and the more well-heeled love the Core + higher stuff. Prices are getting out to lunch now on the latter, but so is Fender Custom and other boutique stuff that used to be a little less painful, so meh. 

Me, I’ve gotten bored by them. Have had seven or eight over the past decade and am now down to two keepers + one for sale. Hopefully if they are suddenly “cool” it will move faster and I can buy a Knaggs. :lol: 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Electric guitars are machines for making music and, occasionally, killing fascists. If a guitar of any make or model does what you need, that is all that matters. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Nope, I still walk briskly by the PRS section in the guitar shop with a look of scorn on my face...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Don't see why not. They're very good guitars even though a lot of them are a bit too fancy for my tastes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I assume the price rises has part to do with the exchange rate, the lack of new sales driving up used prices and the usual ebay chances.

Not sure about them being fashionable past, present or future
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2197
    and bargains on the used maket, usually 
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Admittedly I don't work in guitar marketing, so I may be missing something, but can't PRS just give some of their guitars to cool bands? Then they photograph said bands using the gear and the brand will become fashionable through magical advertising osmosis. Did they ever try this? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    I like my PRS's.  I've got three at present out of a total of five that I've owned.

I think that they were fashionable briefly in the late 80's / early 90's when they first entered the market, then the company grew and they lost their niche status.

They'll never really become fashionable in the same way as Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker etc as they weren't around for the formative years of Rock and/or Roll or for the guitar's heyday of the 60s / early 70's.

The important thing is that I like them.  If I gave a toss about what other people thought / liked then I wouldn't write the songs that I do and I certainly wouldn't sing them ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    impmann said:

Or is it that folks are finally waking up to the fact that they probably are the world's best made production guitars?
    I cannot disagree with the sentiment of the above statement at all.  I've owned a few in the past 20+ years and they have all been extremely well made guitars.  

That said, I'd still rather play a half decent Strat.  

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5753
    timhulio said:
    Admittedly I don't work in guitar marketing, so I may be missing something, but can't PRS just give some of their guitars to cool bands? Then they photograph said bands using the gear and the brand will become fashionable through magical advertising osmosis. Did they ever try this? 
    I think because they are inherently uncool guitars, that would just take the bands cool away, not add to the brand coolness. 

Seems to me the whole PRS ethos is to appeal to a more discerning than fashion conscious market. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • timhulio said:
    Isn't that what happened in the late 90s / early 00s? They were all over MTV with new metal, incubus, etc, no?
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    I find PRS are the Audi of the guitar world, beautifully crafted but uninspiring for me . Strats, Telecasters etc are more like old Ferrari’s, quirky, might cause you a bit of pain but are rewarding 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    If they are fashionable then maybe I should sell some of mine before the wind changes direction..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    timhulio said:
    Isn't that what happened in the late 90s / early 00s? They were all over MTV with new metal, incubus, etc, no?
    I might be under a misapprehension, but I thought PRS didn't undertake that sort of thing.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited October 2019
    Just be safe in the knowledge most people on this forum are not their main demographic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom