PRS - Fashionable again?

What's Hot

Comments

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Someone cool playing a PRS will still be cool.

Someone, say a 40 something on a guitar forum who uses car or fashion analogies to try and quantify coolness, having a 'cool' guitar isn't going to make you look even the slightest bit cooler than you already are(n't).

This includes me as I am equally uncool playing any guitar I own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Every single name mentioned in this thread is deeply uncool, except for Jack White and Keef. 

PRS make great musical instruments, but they're not cool and never will be. 
    Alex Lifeson? Not cool? How very dare you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtxyjf9eerI
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    Dan_Halen said:

Someone, say a 40 something on a guitar forum who uses car or fashion analogies to try and quantify coolness, having a 'cool' guitar isn't going to make you look even the slightest bit cooler than you already are(n't).

Shouldn't we have a rule like the old Top Gear Cool wall.  Anything we own automatically becomes uncool.

Although, given the number of guitars some of us own, that would make every model of guitar uncool.  Maybe that's why the forum is full of middle aged blokes not young hipsters.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Every single name mentioned in this thread is deeply uncool, except for Jack White and Keef. 

Keef is about as uncool as it’s possible to get. 

He is called Keith ffs. 

He is single handedly responsible for a vast majority of the top ten pub rock bands worst offending songs. 

He played the ‘solo’ on Sympathy for the Devil, that’s Nick Jonas level terrible. 

Don’t get me started started on Jack Shite. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    Dan_Halen said:

Shouldn't we have a rule like the old Top Gear Cool wall.  Anything we own automatically becomes uncool.

Although, given the number of guitars some of us own, that would make every model of guitar uncool.  Maybe that's why the forum is full of middle aged blokes not young hipsters.

The cool young hipsters are too busy actually making music to bother hanging out on guitar forums discussing what’s cool or not. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_Halen said:

I personally take uncool to the next level. 

I play a very 80’s Ibanez with neon pickups and knobs, but I play it in an old school punk band. 

Plus I look like Seth Rogan so it’s multiple levels of uncool. 

Maybe its so uncool its actually cool? 

No, didn’t think so. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Dan_Halen said:

I play a very 80’s Ibanez with neon pickups and knobs, but I play it in an old school punk band. 

No, didn’t think so. 
    I think there's something a little bit cool about using a totally inappropriate guitar for the gig... Although only if you nail it!

Otherwise you look like that dep that everyone's had in a band who didn't actually learn the set, puts a music stand in the middle of the stage and dresses like he's come straight from work.
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 706
    Every single name mentioned in this thread is deeply uncool, except for Jack White and Keef. 

Keef is about as uncool as it’s possible to get. 

He is called Keith ffs. 

He is single handedly responsible for a vast majority of the top ten pub rock bands worst offending songs. 

He played the ‘solo’ on Sympathy for the Devil, that’s Nick Jonas level terrible. 

Don’t get me started started on Jack Shite. 

Jack White did very well impressing everyone who had never entered a guitar shop and had thus never endured shitty, simplistic blues playing before. Quite a niche to corner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Like or dislike Jack White, he is cool. More of a songwriter than relying on 10 minute solos.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 706
    He's responsible for 'Seven Nation Army', which has blighted even more football stadia than racist chanting did during the 1970s. For that alone he deserves to be hung by his ankles from a lamppost and beaten like a lanky, pasty pinata.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5773
    He's responsible for 'Seven Nation Army', which has blighted even more football stadia than racist chanting did during the 1970s. For that alone he deserves to be hung by his ankles from a lamppost and beaten like a lanky, pasty pinata.
    I don’t follow football and I don’t condone violence but I’m all for this

No song comes close to making feel stabby like that does. I’ve walked away from joining bands because it’s been mentioned 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    Haych said:
    I never understood why PRS never capitalised on their connection with Alex Lifeson, he used PRS for 14+ years and AL makes anything cool.  A signature PRS CE Lifeson model would have been awesome.
    Probably because Gibson were able to way outbid PRS...

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Uncool = the endless parade of heavy relic fenders and aged gibsons I see posted on here.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    I like my PRS and couldn’t give two fucks if it’s cool. It’s light, it sounds good and best of all my mrs likes it ( it’s green ) so it’s allowed to live on a stand in the corner of the living room. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7773
    Jack white is cool, which bedroom nerds decided to bring him up?

Consolers of the Lonely is awesome, so is the first, 3rd, 4th White Stripes albums and the first Dead Weather album. 

I own a solid finish PRS, Probably my most played guitar. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5773
    Jack white is cool, which bedroom nerds decided to bring him up?

Consolers of the Lonely is awesome, so is the first, 3rd, 4th White Stripes albums and the first Dead Weather album. 

I own a solid finish PRS, Probably my most played guitar. 
    That was me and I’m no bedroom nerd thank you very much!!

I have my own place, so I’m a whole house nerd. 

I also can’t listen to Jack White, it just grates on me but he is what is cool and why a PRS isn’t. 
  • I’m ok with PRS guitars not being cool. 
    But I can’t accept JW as cool. 
    Nope. 
    Nah
    The White Stripes??!!

come on! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    There is nothing cooler to do something that everyone who thinks it is uncool. 

That's how it works isn't it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_Halen said:
    Dan_Halen said:

No, didn’t think so. 
    I think there's something a little bit cool about using a totally inappropriate guitar for the gig... Although only if you nail it!

Otherwise you look like that dep that everyone's had in a band who didn't actually learn the set, puts a music stand in the middle of the stage and dresses like he's come straight from work.
    I am that dep. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited October 2019
    I’ve always wanted a PRS - I grew up listening to a lot of 90s and 00s stuff where they were prominent and never really thought they were uncool, though I’m not into the bling tops, birds and finishes. My dream guitar for a while (other than a Les Paul custom) has been a plain black hardtail McCarty with dots, way out of my price range so I’ll prob have to settle for the current S2 Standard 22 and block off the trem if I ever manage to get one. I cannot get behind the idea of having to fight a guitar, to me if it’s a struggle then it’s just a shit or poorly set up guitar. I’d rather the struggle came from what I’m trying to play than the guitar getting in the way.

Seen lots of young “cool” bands playing PRS, Simon from Don Broco and Sam from Neck Deep spring to mind.

If a forum full of guitar nerd tele and strat playing dad rockers thinks they’re uncool then they’re probably actually alright. Tony Blair played Fender, that’s enough to put anyone off surely.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom