PRS - Fashionable again?

What's Hot

Comments

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited October 2019
    BloodEagle said:

The problem with that scheme, I am going to speculate, is that no cool (either genuinelly cool, or NME not-really-cool-at-all level) band would be seen dead using any PRS guitars. 

Ezra Furman.  So cool he wears his mum's clothes.

Not Ur Girlfrenz.  Cool enough for Bowling For Soup.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Micah Nelson plays a McCarty Hollowbody. He is moderately cool 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    Dan_Halen said:
    professorben said:

I personally take uncool to the next level. 

I play a very 80’s Ibanez with neon pickups and knobs, but I play it in an old school punk band. 

Plus I look like Seth Rogan so it’s multiple levels of uncool. 

Maybe its so uncool its actually cool? 

No, didn’t think so. 
    I think there's something a little bit cool about using a totally inappropriate guitar for the gig... Although only if you nail it!
    Yes, that's cool.

But a PRS still wouldn't be in the same band... it's hard to define why, but it just isn't.

And before anyone asks - I used PRSs exclusively in an originals band for five years. OK my main one was a dark purple Standard, so not the typical cherry/birds/gold hardware look, but my second one was a pink flame-top Custom. And in that band - slightly dark, female-fronted alt-rock - I thought they were cool, and was told so by many people.

My current band - in which I play bass - is another punk band, and the guitarist has a couple of Hamers, including a flame-top sunburst... which *is* cool, despite being pretty similar to a PRS, which wouldn't be. Maybe it's because the Hamer is from 1979, so has punk/New Wave associations, I don't know.

A 'flashy' PRS just isn't cool. And that's even given that both Gibson and Gretsch have made guitars more ostentatious and arguably tasteless than almost any PRS.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    PRS will be cool in around 5 years time. The coolest bands will start using them 'ironically' and it will catch on, until they become a new standard of cool. Then the coolness will all come crashing down and they will be deeply uncool until another 25 years or so pass and then they'll be cool again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Isn't it cool to be uncool? 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I’ve played PRS since the 90’s and love them, seems cool for folk to hate them but hey ho. 

Ive had many models over the years due to GAS and that’s had my buying guitars from many other manufacturers too. 
    For my I love the necks, I love the body weight, the feel and the tone, they just fit me and my playing. 

My DGT is my number one <3 my SC250 beats any Les Paul I’ve ever owned (and I’ve over 10 Gibson LP’s), I have a Silver Sky that I prefer to my Bravewood strat now.. I’ve recently bought a used Studio and I’ve played three gigs with it and it’s a superb all rounder, sounds incredible. 

I love them
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    professorben said:

I personally take uncool to the next level. 

I play a very 80’s Ibanez with neon pickups and knobs, but I play it in an old school punk band. 

Plus I look like Seth Rogan so it’s multiple levels of uncool. 

Maybe its so uncool its actually cool? 

No, didn’t think so. 
    I think there's something a little bit cool about using a totally inappropriate guitar for the gig... Although only if you nail it!
    Yes, that's cool.

But a PRS still wouldn't be in the same band... it's hard to define why, but it just isn't.

And before anyone asks - I used PRSs exclusively in an originals band for five years. OK my main one was a dark purple Standard, so not the typical cherry/birds/gold hardware look, but my second one was a pink flame-top Custom. And in that band - slightly dark, female-fronted alt-rock - I thought they were cool, and was told so by many people.

My current band - in which I play bass - is another punk band, and the guitarist has a couple of Hamers, including a flame-top sunburst... which *is* cool, despite being pretty similar to a PRS, which wouldn't be. Maybe it's because the Hamer is from 1979, so has punk/New Wave associations, I don't know.

A 'flashy' PRS just isn't cool. And that's even given that both Gibson and Gretsch have made guitars more ostentatious and arguably tasteless than almost any PRS.
    Awesome, it’s worth pointing out my other guitar for my punk band, not a back up but let’s call it an alternative, is another RG but a pink quilted top one. 

No vines or gold hardware tho. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    ICBM said:

I give you the Martin D100 ..... (they do a right handed one too, and I can assure you it looks worse in real life on the factory tour)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    PRS are just cool - just like a tele ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nikc said:
    PRS are just cool - just like a tele ;)
    But but but... gahhhhhh  :#
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited October 2019
    We live in a post everything world. The other guitarist in my shoegazing band has abandoned his 20+ year old Les Paul and Fender Jaguar and started playing an Ibanez RG. Because it sounds better and holds its tuning. No one bats an eyelid anymore. 

I used PRS’ in my previous Classic Rock band. But I choose my gear for the task. So in the current project I’m back on a Yamaha SG and a Tele. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    Al di Meola is pretty cool
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    Fishboy7 said:
    Al di Meola is pretty cool
    Especially with that rainbow coloured one.

Although the science geek in me is infuriated by the colours being in the wrong order :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• spirit7spirit7 Frets: 339
    I have 5 and they're all epic.  
  • PRS always makes me think of The Hollies, which makes me think of "He Ain't Heavy", which is now stuck in my head. So cheers for that.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Every PRS i've played has been lovely. I just don't like them.. not a fan of the birdies or the shape/look. 

Can't deny that they are utterly fantastic guitars though. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    PRS always makes me think of The Hollies, which makes me think of "He Ain't Heavy", which is now stuck in my head. So cheers for that.

I thought he played a 335 back in the day?

I like that Custom, though... not too blingy. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    PRS always makes me think of The Hollies, which makes me think of "He Ain't Heavy", which is now stuck in my head. So cheers for that.

I thought he played a 335 back in the day?

I like that Custom, though... not too blingy. 
    Looks to be an older one from the sweet switch instead of a tone control. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve no idea which guitars are fashionable at any one time but I’ve played a few PRS instruments and found that they are excellently made guitars finished to a very high standard. I however found that they’re not for me as I just didn’t bond with them. Having said that I recently bought a used PRS SE One, I love it! I have quite a few single P 90 equipped guitars and this is one of the best.
  • One of my earliest guitar memories is getting a copy of the free "Making Music" magazine in the mid-1980s, and it had Tony Hicks from The Hollies with an amber-coloured PRS. I think that was my first sighting of a PRS.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.