Remember the Clarksonesque Challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Single or double-cut Junior would take my vote, but yeah - if we can give people the option of a bolt-on as well for those of fainter heart it might be a good idea.

I'm wondering if I can do a 'rat' guitar to go with my bike...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think bolt on may be safer, but then again, I've never done a set net myself.

So long as it's machined half well, there shouldn't be too much work to correct neck angle?

I'd love to try set neck, it'd be more involved but for absolute first time, I'm glad I chose a bolt on (that I could shim to buggery :) )
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Feeling a bit Joe Swanson about this... they've got any kit I'd like in left handed provided it's a strat... :(
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Set neck is a little off putting, because of the perceived difficulty of such a crucial element. Accurate perception or not, I don't know.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    frankus said:
    Feeling a bit Joe Swanson about this... they've got any kit I'd like in left handed provided it's a strat... :(
    Get a normal one.  

You only have to make it, you don't have to play it 

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    TTony said:

You only have to make it, you don't have to play it 

Joking apart, if you don't play it how will you know if you like what you made? Other people might like it or dislike it for a variety of reasons, but unless you're building for someone else specifically, you need to be able to play it. OR would you like the contest to be We all build a guitar for Tony and he gets to keep the ones he likes best? ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    i don't mind what shape it is really, but tele's and juniors do work done in a lot of different styles and both look good with more basic finishes

.... and I am already doing a chinese 335 at the moment 
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Alnico said:

I'm so far in even Katie Price would get Wide Eyed !

Wide legged in my case  :-\"
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    I think a Tele has to be in, it will be the easy option for the first-timers.

=D>
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I'd just like to say "remember it?! I bloody well named it" - I could argue I invented it, but that'd be a diservice to the people who helped me buying a £60 telecaster for the express purpose of f***ing around with ;)

Sufficed to say it is the best forum competion...

.... in the world!
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    I'm going to contact some potential suppliers over the BH weekend, see what they could provide in terms of body shapes, and what the likely costs would be.

So, hopefully more news next week ...
  • TTony said:
    I'm going to contact some potential suppliers over the BH weekend, see what they could provide in terms of body shapes, and what the likely costs would be.

So, hopefully more news next week ...
    Eagerly anticipating news :D

• kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Ive never even used a soldering iron before. Id love a go. Might be a good way of getting some forum "how to" guides done
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Might be a good way of getting some forum "how to" guides done
    That's a very good idea.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Cool idea. I'm on a bit of a Junior kick at the mo, so a double cut would be my (admittedly selfish) vote.
  • Gives me another excuse to line Oil CIty and Wudtone pockets, so I'm always up for that :)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I like @TTony idea of a 335. Bit different from a standard 'Fender' style partsacaster
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yeah, 335 or Jr would be wicked. Both would be better...

• GruGru Frets: 339
    sinbaadi;246086" said:
    Set neck is a little off putting, because of the perceived difficulty of such a crucial element. Accurate perception or not, I don't know.
    I thought that, but Gibsons come with various neck angles (some say poor qc?) and these are £1000+ guitars, but they must all play pretty well for the price they demand. Unless of course during your build you get it way off!

A bolt on neck would definitely be easier as you can tinker until correct, even 6 months later.

However, I would love a 335, but LPJS are pretty cool too, but I don't mind a tele either really.

I am interested, but assuming there would be a build time deadline, I may fail to meet it. Still interested in building a guitar though, depending on cost.
    Gives me another excuse to line Oil CIty and Wudtone pockets, so I'm always up for that :)
    We might look for some willing "competition partners", if the number of entrants merits it, and if we can generate some press coverage ( @jookychap ) for some joint profile benefit ...