Remember the Clarksonesque Challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27608
    @LooseMoose

^^^ that's the (rather long) list of people who expressed an interest in doing this in the thread.  Just trying to make sure that you all see this update, and that it's a GO-GO-GO.

If we get a decent number of entrants, I'm going to try to drum up a bit more interest in the wider press ... maybe get us featured in one of the mags (are there any still left) ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    They also do a couple of bass kits

• oddballoddball Frets: 248
    Right - lets get to it it then, warming up the airbrush and digging out some Bare Knuckle Miracle man pickups lurking about in a cupboard upstairs
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I'm in - 12 string Tele for me :)

if anyone orders the junior check the bridge position before you start working on it - if its like the instructions show  then it wont ever intonate

looks like they drilled the holes in the tailpiece location - hopefully they have fixed this error by now
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    I'm in.  I've gone for the ash bodied tele.  Never had a tele before.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    I'm tempted to join but I don't want to do a kit- I'd rather build from lumber.

My workshop is closed for a couple of months so I won't be able to build an electric until it reopens around September.
    Any chance we can run a build from scratch challenge around then?
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Sorry to say I am going to pass on this,I have 4 Strats 1 Tele and I don't like Les Paul's or Juniors. I did want to do a PRS but no reasonably priced kits available. I do hope this sort of thing will happen again,maybe I will find something suitable for next time. Good luck with your projects everyone,I will be watching your progress.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

My Wife has lost her job and as a result I have had to cut the GAS supply off. I am working 70 hours a week just to pay our bills and support us all and without her income, there is nothing spare at all to buy any guitar stuff.

It won't last forever and in the meantime I have a got a really great guitar, amp and quite a few decent pedals so I have a lot to be thankful for but out of respect for her and our Son who would both normally support me completely with anything I want to buy, I have to say i'm sorry but I can't do it.

I have also had to cancel my pre-order for the Wilko Telecaster and shelve any other plans until we are back on two incomes again and in the meantime, we both flat refuse to claim any benefit from the government - in our eyes it's wrong and we are hoping she will find another job very soon. I would rather work longer hours and be proud of what I've earned than take handouts from a system that can no more afford it than I can.

Sorry to pull out and good luck with your build, everyone who enters.

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I'm umming-and-ahing about whether I can justify it - moving into a studio flat and keeping a lot of stuff at the other half's I'm not totally sure that I'll have room to do a project then keep it once it's finished! I DO love a Challenge, though...
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I will order next couple of days I fancy another junior but since it's a bolt on I may go with a Tele.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I really need to shift some out, before another one comes in. Just the wrong time, for me, I'm afraid..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I might try a basswood kit, and use it as an experiment to try my first veneer, so possibly make a cheap guitar look posh. Not sure what style yet, I need to wait for more money... Is there a cut off date? I won't be buying for a few weeks at least, and won't work on it until late August as I'm away backpacking...

I'll upgrade bridge, tuners, nut first and if it seems good, I'll shove some oil city pickups in.
    octatonic said:
    I'm tempted to join but I don't want to do a kit- I'd rather build from lumber.

My workshop is closed for a couple of months so I won't be able to build an electric until it reopens around September.
    Any chance we can run a build from scratch challenge around then?

ah go on... its a good thing to do whilst the workshop is closed.  It won't ever be as good as a scratch build, but there can still be a lot of learning from something like this.

I do like the idea of a scratch build challenge, but they tend to fall a bit flat as it rules a lot of people out and time scales need to be longer which means people loose interest.   the £100 challenge was better as it gave people the option of building from scratch if they wanted to, but the budget was a bit limiting for some

Sorry to hear the bad news @alnico - hopefully the bad times will pass quickly.

To everyone else ... c'mon, get on with it, the more who take part, the more fun it will be and the more learning will be shared amongst all.

Start a new discussion here http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/categories/the-challenge with the details of your project, and keep it updated with plenty of progress pics and reports!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3080
    edited June 2014
    What sort of closing date were you thinking of @ttony ? I'm in temp accommodation at the moment but will have access to a workshop in about 4 weeks. I like the look of a few of them tbh and I have some spare orange woodtone that would be perfect for this. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Hmmmm, closing date.

I initially thought;
    - order and "enter" by the end of this month
    - complete 2 months later

On the basis that ordering the kits NOW would persuade people to join in whilst the enthusiasm is still high, and 2 summer months would give everyone chance to find a screwdriver or two to put the thing together, without stretching the deadline out so far that everyone forgets about it!

That still seems reasonable to me, although there's nothing (yet, but I'm thinking about press coverage here) that makes the deadline a real must-be-done-by true deadline.  Yet.  

So, I'm open to suggestions if that's not going to work for everyone.

The press coverage gets more likely, the more participants we have, so I don't want to exclude people from joining in!
  • I like where that is, but might have to bail out on the competition aspect and do it belated, as a token entry.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    IanSavage said:
    I'm umming-and-ahing about whether I can justify it - moving into a studio flat and keeping a lot of stuff at the other half's I'm not totally sure that I'll have room to do a project then keep it once it's finished! I DO love a Challenge, though...
    This is my problem too. Would like to make a guitar, not sure what to do with it once it's finished.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    @TTony would the date of the '1st anniversary'  be a good end date ?