Remember the Clarksonesque Challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• TTony;248135" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Gives me another excuse to line Oil CIty and Wudtone pockets, so I'm always up for that :)

We might look for some willing "competition partners", if the number of entrants merits it, and if we can generate some press coverage ( @jookychap ) for some joint profile benefit ...
    Awesome - I was about to pm you suggesting such a thing, though obviously it's early days and it would need to be mutually beneficial.

Wudtone do solid colours so if the bodies are multipiece and not so beautiful, there are teal, black, shell etc.

Can't wait to see this unfold :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    If @TTony is talking to suppliers/manufacturers of kits about a bulk purchase what about getting the body made so that the neck pocket/slot, string thru holes/ tuneomatic post holes are all in the right place along with a generic control cavity so it'll definitely go together right but beyond that leave the body as a rectangle to be cut to the desired silhouette by the individual ?

No ? Hmmm yeah maybe yer right..
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    DrBob said:
    If @TTony is talking to suppliers/manufacturers of kits about a bulk purchase what about getting the body made so that the neck pocket/slot, string thru holes/ tuneomatic post holes are all in the right place along with a generic control cavity so it'll definitely go together right but beyond that leave the body as a rectangle to be cut to the desired silhouette by the individual ?

Think we'd end-up with a lot of Bo Diddley tributes? :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27094
    I'd love to get involved with this but logistics a bit tricky at this distance :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DrBob;248182" said:

Cutting and shaping guitars (or just wood in general) takes pretty big kit that a low of folks, myself included, don't have. :(

Though gretsch did that Bo diddley thing...
  • Beat by @jookychap. That wise funster.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    With a body blank, I could see lots of chopping board type entries from us newbie guitars builders.

It would certainly be a great place to learn some new chops!

I'll get my coat. :-D
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    I'm really keen to get involved in this.  If you choose the set-neck style guitar (whichever it may be) or body-blank type thing, I'd like to propose a "Division 2" for the ultra newbies like me, for whom a simple Partscaster-type build is challenge enough.
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    I would love to take part in this but there are 3 reasons why I won't. I do not know how to make the neck fit the body at the correct angle. Cutting the nut scares the life out of me. Getting a good finish is beyond me,paint is definitely out,but wudtone may be possible if if knew what was involved. Alan
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27604
    asimmd said:
    I would love to take part in this but there are 3 reasons why I won't. I do not know how to make the neck fit the body at the correct angle. Cutting the nut scares the life out of me. Getting a good finish is beyond me,paint is definitely out,but wudtone may be possible if if knew what was involved. Alan
    Ah-hah @asimmd - you might have to reconsider then, because ...

1.  With a kit, it should all come (more-or-less) ready to put together, no need to worry about neck angles, because that's all been done in the factory.  It's a Chinese factory, so some minor adjustment might be needed to make it perfect, but it *should* fit together OK straight out of the box.

2.  The nut will come pre-cut too, although (again), I'm betting that a little tweaking will be necessary to get the optimum set-up.  But I can imagine a few people worrying about this bit, so it may well be the subject of a video "how-to" (or two) to show everyone how to do it.

3.  Wudtone is as easy as.  There are already some "how-to" guides about this place, and quite a few people (me included) who have had some great results with it, and are happy to share tips & tricks.

So there you go ... nothing to worry about.

Quite seriously.  One reason for suggesting using a kit as the starting point for the challenge is so that *everyone* who's interested can take part.  No big power tools needed to cut out body blanks.  No templates for cutting cavities.  No careful measuring to put the bridge in the perfect place, no fretting to do, no neck angles to calc & cut ... etc, etc, etc.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited May 2014
    Hi Tony,thanks for the reply. You make it sound quite easy which it probably is when you know what you are doing. Do you think it possible to make one of these kits on the kitchen table,I do not have any sort of workshop facilities. Your idea regarding a video or two detailing how to do various things would be most welcome. I must say that because of health issues,Cronic asthma,using materials with an odour is out,that's why I said paint was a no no. I look forward to some How To videos which will explain the dark arts of guitar building. Alan
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    If i end up doing one, one of my main aims will be to try and demonstrate how to do certain things.

fretwork will be a good example where i can show how to do it with minimal tools and expense and get pretty good results, but also show how to take it to the next level with proper tools.

I hope wudtone wont be mandatory though, I cant seem to get it to work... Someone else will need to cover the advice for that
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27604
    WezV said:
    I hope wudtone wont be mandatory though, I cant seem to get it to work
    Certainly not mandatory.

And I really do hope that you can do one with us.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    After TTonys comments I am warming to the challenge,I will watch this space for info on How To videos. I also need to decide which sort to go for,being a Fender man for life I think something different may be appropriate,as long as it has a trem. Alan
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    asimmd;248550" said:
    Hi Tony,thanks for the reply.

You make it sound quite easy which it probably is when you know what you are doing.

Do you think it possible to make one of these kits on the kitchen table,I do not have any sort

of workshop facilities.

Your idea regarding a video or two detailing how to do various things would be most welcome.

I must say that because of health issues,Cronic asthma,using materials with an odour is out,that's why I said paint was a no no.

I look forward to some How To videos which will explain the dark arts of guitar building.

Alan
    Honestly the kits are very easy to put together, it comes with all hardware, all the right size etc. It is a matter of screwing it all together, if it wasn't for the finish you honestly could do it in an hour. Tool wise you will need a couple of screw drives and maybe a small mallet/hammer.

• AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    edited May 2014
    I like!
    Teles are a good idea - hard to get wrong really, and the neck angle is simplicity itself -the neck pocket is dead flat...

Personally, I would be really motivated by an LP Jnr DC... The last time I used rattle-can Nitro, it checked in about a month (I wonder if I can get that to happen again...) I really fancy that classic pale yellow colour (TV yellow is it?) Wow! More GAS!
  • AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    Regarding finishes (and problems with volatile organics), you could use water-based paint for colour coat, and a water-based clearcoat varnish - all brushed on or rubbed on...

And flatten off and polish with wet&dry used wet.
    Hi underdog

If its as easy as you say I'm in,subject to seeing what the options are for finishing.

Wonder if its possible to get a kit with a trem thats not a strat?

A PRS look alike would be nice.

Alan

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited May 2014
    asimmd;248595" said:
    Hi underdog

If its as easy as you say I'm in,subject to seeing what the options are for finishing.

Wonder if its possible to get a kit with a trem thats not a strat?

A PRS look alike would be nice.

Alan
    The problem with trem kits is they would be made of cheese - cheap, and likely to break and be hard to set up.

At least a hardtail is easier to do, and if it's a G style build, there will be a bigsby out there to retrofit if you did want to :)

Wudtone is not solvent based as far as I know. I'm asthmatic (mild, though) and I did it all in my bedroom - not ideal, but there are no nasty fumes for sure. Easy to do, too, although some folks have struggled (@wezv for example). Mine have all been pretty good, if not flawless, but that's more down to sanding and such.

@Ttony, regarding sanding... Goldflex sandpaper is the bees knees but only comes in larger bulk packs. To do my prs style, I needed 2 small squares of 180 and 240 pre wudtone. I'd definitely suggest considering buying a box of it, and including some with each kit supplied.

I know this is all in the hypothetical stage etc but I'd happily pay a few quid more for this stuff. @gspbasses supplied mine and it was amazing, made sanding a real doddle and lasted miles longer than the standard stuff I usually get. It's padded, too, which makes curves much easier (cutaways are still a pain but I'll take what I can!).

EDIT: Here is a linky http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/Mirka_Goldflex_Soft.html?gclid=CNfmluqexL4CFebItAod324Atw with 10 people taking part, it'd only add a few quid to the total cost for a couple of each grade supplied in that kit, and in my opinion would make the project much quicker and easier.  

@asimmd your main worry would be sanding (regarding asthma).  Definitely invest in a simple face mask :) if you wear glasses, take them off because it's hard work and they steam up when you're wearing a mask! Then put them back on when inspecting. 

A good finish seems to be more about sanding - if you get that wrong, regardless of the finish you use, it won't be great.  Probably.  
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    asimmd said:
    Hi underdog

Alan

There's all kind of water based finishing that come to mind- veneering (PVA glue), staining using fountain pen ink,water based varnish. waxes, some variation on Jookification